So there are many of you who loyally watch these shows and, like me, make continual comments to the television whether anyone else is in the room or not. Alternately, there are many of you who do not have the time to keep up with reality TV – there are too many shows, your tivos runneth over, you have kids and can’t remember what it’s like to watch anything beyond Dora the Explorer (you know who you are) – but you also want to be “in the know.” That’s fine. Let me help you understand.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

So You Think You Can Dance - 2013


I’ll be honest in saying I am not as on top of this show as I should be this year. I’ve been traveling for most of the season so far and will be gone for the rest of the month. I should, however, be able to provide a full recap the last two episodes and I will do my best to at least update eliminations each week.

As for this year’s format…I am not a fan of the “eliminate now, dance later” scenario. Why would we do that to these contestants? Might as well say this..

Nigel: “Oh hey, Carlos and Brittany, we really like you and your partner dances might be amazing tonight, but we’re going to go ahead and tell you that you are going home now.  Do you still feel comfortable performing with your partner and not screwing them over by snot crying throughout the dance? Okay, good.”

With the elimination show being scrapped last year, and ratings already down this year, I can’t imagine why we would start a show with an elimination. Where is the suspense in that? Might as well say this…

Cat in an excited, teasing voice: “To find out who goes home next week…just watch the first 10 minutes of the show! You can then watch the recap of that show in the first 10 minutes the week after!”

The turn that the show has taken is really a bummer. Here’s hoping someone breathes new life into it by the end of the season to avoid cancellation next year. Perhaps it will be BluPrint? Or Fik-Shun? Does spelling or grammar even matter anymore?

I’ll post when I can but would love to know your thoughts on how the season is progressing…or not progressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment