So there are many of you who loyally watch these shows and, like me, make continual comments to the television whether anyone else is in the room or not. Alternately, there are many of you who do not have the time to keep up with reality TV – there are too many shows, your tivos runneth over, you have kids and can’t remember what it’s like to watch anything beyond Dora the Explorer (you know who you are) – but you also want to be “in the know.” That’s fine. Let me help you understand.

Friday, February 26, 2016

American Idol: The Farewell Season

So before I post anything regarding last night's very emotional Top 10 performance show (and I will shortly), I wanted to stop for a minute and reflect on how much I really do love American Idol.  The house that Kelly Clarkson built is the reason I started blogging, the reason I gave social media a chance, and the reason I've been able to "meet" so many other music fanatics from various parts of the world. It has boasted artists whose music has touched me and helped me in ways I can't explain, and it paved the way for other programs to allow young dreamers the chance to make it big. Not all of them do...not many of them do...but it's quite a journey just the same. 

Is it time for the show to be over? Probably. Have these recent episodes been hard to watch knowing we are in the home stretch of the show's final season? Absolutely. Seeing former Idol contestants return throughout these episodes has been nostalgic and emotional, and the "Idol duets" have been a really nice touch. Ruben! Constantine! Scotty! Jordan! And seriously, I didn't realize exactly how much I've been missing Lauren Alaina. So adorable and so funny. And yes, Fantasia, I would like some fried chicken. Nothing goes with great advice and kick-ass vocals like fried chicken (true story). 

Anyway, at this point the remaining contestants have survived auditions, Hollywood week, singing while starstruck, and an array of criticism coming at them from all sides. Sure I have my favorites and sure I think a couple of the eliminated contestants from the Top 24 deserved a spot in the Top 10, but for now I'm just happy that American Idol seems to be going out in style...so far anyway. Will this last season boast a huge career for the winner? Will it reignite the careers of any of the featured former contestants that we had almost forgotten about? Will there be a dry eye among the viewers, contestants, judges, and show runners when the final episode actually airs? Doubtful, but we still have a ton of performances to look forward to as we approach that fateful day in April, and I'm thrilled to be able to share them with you all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment