So there are many of you who loyally watch these shows and, like me, make continual comments to the television whether anyone else is in the room or not. Alternately, there are many of you who do not have the time to keep up with reality TV – there are too many shows, your tivos runneth over, you have kids and can’t remember what it’s like to watch anything beyond Dora the Explorer (you know who you are) – but you also want to be “in the know.” That’s fine. Let me help you understand.

Wednesday, December 7, 2016

The Voice Semi-Finals: Take Me As I Am

We've reached the Top 8 semi-finals on this season of The Voice and the stakes are high tonight as only four of the remaining contestants will make it to the finale.  Each coach still has a horse in the race and each coach is hoping at least one of their contestants will have their chance at the trophy next week. Will any of the front runners falter? Let's get to the performances and find out.

Artist: Christian Cuevas 
Team: Alicia
Song: "To Worship You I Live (Away)" by Israel & New Breed

Christian is coming off a pretty fantastic Top 10 performance and he's kicking off the night with this Israel & New Breed tune that I've never heard in my life. You can tell Alicia is a little worried in the rehearsal package when he says how he wants to bring the awesomeness of last week's performance into this song that "not a lot of people may know." It's a little risky to then sing a portion of the song not a lot of people know in Spanish. In the words of Randy Jackson, this performance is just alright for me. I love Christian's commitment to the song but I'm thinking he should have chosen a different one.

Coaches Say: Adam says there is no one else in the competition who allows themselves to wear their emotions on their sleeves. Blake agrees with Adam, saying Christian has an ability to make an audience feel what he is feeling. Alicia is proud of her contestant because he is a human being who wants to spread light to everyone he passes. Thanks Alicia...now I feel bad for not liking this more. 
--------------------------------------------

Artist: Ali Caldwell
Team: Miley
Song: "I Will Always Love You" by Dolly Parton

Well here it is. I've been waiting for the Whitney, Mariah or Celine song and we have it in the semi-finals. I'm glad Ali has covered a variety of other artists and styles up until this point so we know she is not just a woman with a big voice, but she is really going to have to nail this song at such a critical point in the competition. She TOTALLY does and I seriously love her. I have chills and goosies and perhaps a few tears when this performance is over and I already wish this would have been the closing song tonight.

Coaches Say: Alicia loved everything about the performance and says that the restraint Ali showed tonight is the sign of a true artist. Alicia also notes that Ali blended both worlds (Dolly and Whitney) beautifully and I couldn't agree more. Miley is just so excited. She tells Ali that she sang as beautiful as she looks and calls the performance perfect. 
--------------------------------------------

Artist: Brendan Fletcher
Team: Adam
Song: "Angel" by Sarah McLachlan

Brendan follows up last weeks amazing rendition of "True Colors" with...a not so great cover of "Angel." I'm pretty sure he messed up the lyrics in the first verse and he never really got back on track. What was supposed to be another performance of Brendan showing off his soft side ended up being a few minutes he probably wishes he could do all over again.

Coaches Say: Blake starts off his critique with "it's been fun" and that's never a good thing. He compliments Brendan on his progress though and tells him he did a good job. Adam makes a plea for America to vote for him because he's different and keeps his message pure to who he is....Adam makes no mention of the performance whatsoever. 
--------------------------------------------

Artist: Wé McDonald
Team: Alicia
Song: "Scars To Your Beautiful" by Alessia Cara

Wé and Alicia have such a great relationship and I think I look forward to Wé's rehearsal packages the most each week. It's always risky to take a song that's a hit on the radio right now and try to do your own thing with it. Wé doesn't really switch up "Scars To Your Beautiful" too much, but I do think she continues to prove herself as a young artist with a message to to spread. Also, shout out to those drummers behind Wé. They were awesome.

Coaches Say: Alicia and Miley both stand and Alicia is flipping out. Love it. Miley is excited too and feels like the way Wé (see how that works?) performed tonight shows what a Wé concert would be like. She loved the performance and would happily go to a Wé concert and wear a Wé t-shirt. Alicia says Wé is her own artist and she knows how she wants to make people feel. Alicia reminds everyone at home that they are witnessing the growth of a star on this show and says people need to vote for her. I absolutely agree with her. This kid deserves to be in the finale.
---------------------------------------------

Artist: Aaron Gibson
Team: Miley
Song: "Everything I Do (I Do It For You)" by Brian Adams

I can't. I appreciate what Miley is going for here but Aaron's execution of this song is just the opposite. I just can't. Next.

Coaches Say: Carson only asks for Miley's thoughts (the other coaches are probably so relieved) and Miley tells Aaron she believed everything he was singing. She rambles a bit then asks everyone to vote for Aaron. In her mind once again I bet she's thinking "thank goodness for Ali."
--------------------------------------------

Artist: Josh Gallagher
Team: Adam
Song: "Danny's Song" by Loggins & Messina

Josh sits in one spot on the stage for this entire performance which seems to help him keep his breathing under control. I swear sometimes I don't know what's at the end of his sentences at all. Tonight is different though. Vocally this is Josh's best performance on The Voice. In terms of entertainment though...I started to feel sleepy about half way through the song.

Coaches Say: Adam tells Josh he nailed the performance and calls it the best of the night. I have to then fast forward through the rest of his critique.
--------------------------------------------

Artist: Sundance Head
Team: Blake
Song: "Love Can Build a Bridge" by The Judds

Oh how I love The Judds. For real. And this is one of their best songs. Wynonna even calls Sundance to wish him luck. She tells him "just be you, and I can't wait to watch you just go out there and let it rip." Awww. Sundance takes this Judds hit from 1990 and brings it right into present day awesomeness. He went into the night so worried about doing "Love Can Build a Bridge" justice and he had no reason to worry at all. The way he delivers "when we stand together, it's our finest hour" alone is grounds for Adam to shut the hell up about Josh.

Coaches Say: Blake has trouble coming up with any words for his contestant. He says Sundance has so much passion when he sings and says the performance could not have been better. 
--------------------------------------------

Artist: Billy Gilman
Team: Adam
Song: "I Surrender" by Celine Dion

Of course I need to start this critique by posting Kelly Clarkson's version of the song from American Idol. Have to. Billy gets the pimp slot tonight and he realllllly stretches his voice for this song. While I think Billy has come a long way in terms of connecting to songs and not just singing them, tonight is not one of the nights where I feel him emoting. I would have preferred Ali close the show, but I realize she can't get that chance every week.

Coaches Say: Standing ovation from everyone. Adam eggs on the audience to just keep cheering and then thankfully my Tivo cuts off. 
--------------------------------------------

We did have some duets to sit through enjoy as well tonight. Wé and Aaron took on "FourFive Seconds" which was pleasant enough I guess. Aaron actually looked more comfortable and sounded better with a partner. Maybe he needs to think about becoming a duo with someone. Additionally, Sundance and Josh collaborated on "Feelin' Alright" and the performance was entertaining as hell. These two guys seem to love competing against one another but then there's a lot of bro love there too. The third paring was Billy and Christian as they performed a fairly unsteady version of "Unsteady," and Brendan and Ali rounded out the duets with a badass rendition of "It's Only Love." I don't think Brendan has a hope of making it to the finale, but I do think he redeemed his earlier performance with this song. Glad he'll be exiting on a high note at least.

As for where these guys stand, for me Billy, Ali and Wé deserve spots in the finale. As for the that fourth spot, I'd go with Sundance...though I wouldn't be upset if Christian ends up making the final four. The first scenario allows all of the coaches to compete in the finale as well and I'd really like that, especially since we have two brand new coaches this season. Will my predictions be correct? Will there be an upset? Will freaking Aaron somehow steal one of the spots from my favorites?!?! We shall find out during the elimination hour tomorrow. Til then!

No comments:

Post a Comment