So there are many of you who loyally watch these shows and, like me, make continual comments to the television whether anyone else is in the room or not. Alternately, there are many of you who do not have the time to keep up with reality TV – there are too many shows, your tivos runneth over, you have kids and can’t remember what it’s like to watch anything beyond Dora the Explorer (you know who you are) – but you also want to be “in the know.” That’s fine. Let me help you understand.

Friday, July 13, 2012

Duets - The Final Three

Tonight on Duets we will find out which of our Final Four will be eliminated as we move closer to next week’s finale. The remaining three amateurs will perform one song with their Superstar this evening and one song solo. The show opens with our Superstars singing The Temptations' “Get Ready” (good thing too – Robin needs something to do). Poor Kelly though. You can tell she wants to move around to this song, but due to her injury she is carried on stage by the backup dancers. She still sounds amazing!

Before we go any further though, we have to eliminate one of the poor souls who has worked their tail off preparing for this week’s performances. We start with Jason, and he is safe! Bridget, however, is in the bottom 2. J Rome is also safe, so we are down to Bridget and John Glosson. And tonight we say goodbye to…. Bridget. She looks incredibly disappointed, and given the sassy leather pants she is wearing this evening, my guess is she was ready to bring it. But someone’s gotta go, right? Again, everyone wishes her the best, and so do I.

Jennifer Nettles and J Rome                                                                                                          Song: “Breakeven,” by The Script
I love than Jennifer can turn any song into a dance song. Also, her outfit tonight requires mention as well. I have no idea what’s going on there, but she makes it look pretty badass. No real complaints here – the initial “I’m fallin to pieeeeeces” lines do not quite work for me, but J Rome and Jennifer figure out how to blend better shortly thereafter.


Other Superstars Say: Robin didn’t think the song would be right for J Rome’s voice, but he was pleasantly surprised. John says J Rome and Jennifer’s chemistry is infectious. Kelly is still mad because J Rome is so good, but she loved the performance.
------------------------------------------------
Kelly Clarkson and Jason Farol
Song: “Me and Mrs. Jones,” by Billy Paul
Back to the stools this week, but I have a feeling Jason will be able to let loose on his second song tonight, so there shouldn’t be any criticism regarding his stage presence here. Jason looks so comfortable singing with Kelly now, which can’t be easy given how effortless she makes singing look, and this is a great duet. I think at this point, Mercy might be my favorite Jason/Kelly combo, but I do love this. God, I am going to be so sad when this show is over. I would appreciate it if these two would make the talk show rounds and continue to sing together on TV.

Other Superstars Say: Jennifer loves that Jason has found his niche being a soul singer in a little Filipino body, and she loves where his voice is going. That's a whole lotta love. John thought last week was better than this week, and he believes that singing the same song Jason sang when he was almost eliminated is backtracking. Robin says when Jason sings that song to someone as beautiful as Kelly (grin), he needs to have a little bit of “naughty” in it. Kelly, however, notifies Robin that she has “enough naughty for both of us.” Let’s just go to commercial from there, shall we?
-------------------------------------------
Jennifer Nettles and John Glosson
Song: “The Prayer,” by Andrea Bocelli and Celine Dion

Hmmm. Because both The Voice and American Idol featured this song in 2012, I’m initially a little disappointed this is the song choice. The stage is just lovely when John and Jennifer begin….and they are both a little off at the start (for me anyway). Then they nail the rest of the song. Just nail it. Well done, though I think this one is still my favorite cover.
Other Superstars Say: John (Legend) says John (Glosson) is wonderful and his voice is magnificent, and the performance itself was beautiful. Those are all very nice words. I hear Steven Tyler is back on the reality TV market.  Robin says John was off key for one note, but then his voice got going and it was magical. Kelly did not notice John being off key at all, and she says there is something very special about his voice – hypnotic.
--------------------------------------------

J Rome
Song: “Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I’m Yours),” by Stevie Wonder

J Rome is absolutely at home on stage. I’ve never seen him show any nerves, and he not only works the crowd, but the Superstars as well. Stevie Wonder is one of those artists who is alllllllways covered on singing competition shows, but I think this is probably the best cover of “Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I’m Yours)” I’ve seen on any of these shows.

No time to hear the Superstars…..
---------------------------------------------
John Glosson
Song: “Bless the Broken Road,” by Rascal Flatts
Good song and perfect for John’s voice. He hits notes that  Gary LeVox didn’t (and probably couldn’t) hit in Rascal Flatts' version. I love this guy, and I hope he gets a career out of this show. He's not really "mainstream" but we'll see what happens. 

-------------------------------------------------
Jason Farol
Song: “Runaway Baby,” by Bruno Mars

Jason wants to be a Bruno Mars type of artist, which I can definitely see. I would have maybe preferred he sing “Grenade” but Jason still works this song. He makes me want to dance in my seat, and the crowd loves him, which makes me very happy. VOTE people!
Other Superstars Say: Robin says John sang the best but Jason brought the house down. John (Legend) loved Jason's song choice, but says J Rome should win it all. Jennifer felt like a stage mom during the performances. Kelly wants Jason to win (weird) but is still very impressed by the other two performances.

This is it! Quddus tells us that tonight's votes determine next week's "epic" finale. Again, I am rooting for Jason and Team Kelly. It could easily be my bias, but I think J Rome played it a little safe tonight. John is a very "fly under the radar" kind of guy, so I still think anyone could win. We'll find out next week - til then!

No comments:

Post a Comment