So there are many of you who loyally watch these shows and, like me, make continual comments to the television whether anyone else is in the room or not. Alternately, there are many of you who do not have the time to keep up with reality TV – there are too many shows, your tivos runneth over, you have kids and can’t remember what it’s like to watch anything beyond Dora the Explorer (you know who you are) – but you also want to be “in the know.” That’s fine. Let me help you understand.

Friday, July 20, 2012

Duets - We Have A Winner!

Well kids, after 2 months of Duets enjoyment, we finally have a winner. The finale opens with Kelly and Jennifer singing “Would I Lie to You?” and this just rocks my world. Seems Kelly is mobile again, which is good news since her summer tour kicks off pretty much now, but Jennifer’s heels are so outrageous, she has to really hunch over to sing close to Kelly when they are near each other on stage. However, I’ve been so excited to see these two women rock a song together, I am just spent by the time they are finished.

Quddus joins us to let us know that he will soon reveal the winner of Season 1 of Duets. The champion will take home not only the title, but a recording contract with Hollywood Records. Before we get to the results though, we have to remind the audience that John Legend and Robin Thicke used to be a part of this show too, so they are going to have the opportunity to perform with one of their partners again tonight.
John and Bridget are up first, and they take on The Rolling Stones’ “Gimme Shelter." Bridget is all kinds of sassy tonight, and I wonder if this is the song she was going to sing last week when she was eliminated….Regardless, it's enjoyable. It’s good to have Bridget back, even for a brief moment.
When we come back from commercial Robin is joined by Olivia, singing Ray Charles’ version of “Fever.” Olivia seems to be without nerves tonight (that whole not being judged thing probably helps), and this is definitely my favorite Olivia and Robin performance.
 Now we move on to our finalists. Jennifer and John Glosson are about to break my heart by singing “For Good,” from Wicked. I know this before they even open their mouths. This song destroys me each time I see Wicked…may have gotten me to sniffle in Glee as well. Just sayin’. I do wish they’d had enough time to sing the entire song – the way it was chopped up takes away some of the emotion. However, they get me anyway, and I’m going to miss seeing them look at each other adoringly each week.


Kelly and Jason are up next, and their final duet is “Heartbreak Hotel” by Elvis Presley. WOW. Kelly starts off the song very bluesy, and then Jason jumps in with some serious swagger. I LOVE how much he has grown in this competition, and I look forward to seeing (and hearing) what Jason's career has in store. They absolutely kill this song, and I am so grateful to have had them on my TV every week. Many thanks to them as well for not picking a song that would make me cry....again.


Finally, we have Jennifer and J Rome to close out the performances (foreshadowing?) with “Rhythm of the Night” by El De Barge.  The song begins in a planetarium, and then the lights come on and we have ourselves a party. I have no idea how Jennifer can be preggers and dance in those heals. For real. But everyone is up and dancing and truly celebrating the journey they’ve had on the show (amateurs and Superstar’s alike).


Results! John, Jason and J Rome stand together now awaiting their fates. Coming in third is Jason, which is a bummer. I had hoped he would at least be runner up if he didn’t win.  Kelly says Jason has shown the most growth and she is very proud of him. We are down to Jennifer’s two Duets partners now, and she is both beaming and nervous. America voted and….J Rome takes home the big prize. This isn't a huge surprise given how consistently he performed during the competition and how well-loved he is by the Superstars and (obviously) the fans. Congrats to J Rome, and here's hoping the other folks on this show will not be forgotten. 

So, another reality TV show season has come and gone, but I take comfort in the fact that So You Think You Can Dance is just starting the live shows. I also can't be too sad given (as mentioned) Kelly's tour kicks off shortly, and I have tickets to see her a couple more times this year. Blogging Duets has been a blast though. Keeping my fingers crossed for a Season 2.....

No comments:

Post a Comment