So there are many of you who loyally watch these shows and, like me, make continual comments to the television whether anyone else is in the room or not. Alternately, there are many of you who do not have the time to keep up with reality TV – there are too many shows, your tivos runneth over, you have kids and can’t remember what it’s like to watch anything beyond Dora the Explorer (you know who you are) – but you also want to be “in the know.” That’s fine. Let me help you understand.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

So You Think You Can Dance: I Won't Dance, Don't Ask Me

The Top 12 episode was a big one for the So You Think You Can Dance contestants as they were all vying for a spot on the Top 10 tour. As the episode began Cat informed us that yet another contender was injured, revealing that Tucker was unable to dance…except for the part where he was. More on that later.
 
The evening’s guest judge was Kenny “This Is It” Ortega, and I always enjoy his presence on the show. He didn’t bring much humor, but he has a genuine deep appreciation for the show and the dancers. He also speaks in complete sentences and knows a lot of words. Can’t complain.
 
Onto the Bottom 6: Alan, Nico and Tucker were the guys in danger and Jenna, Amy and Malece received the least amount of votes for the ladies. The judges sent Jenna and Nico to safety right away leaving the remaining four to dance for their lives. So…of course I sat there thinking “Tucker can’t dance because of his knee infection, so Alan’s got this, right?” Well, I would have been right if I wasn’t entirely wrong. Tucker was able to dance a solo, just not any of the episode’s routines. Color me confused. Alan, Malece and Amy, meanwhile, gave it their all in their solos, and I figured Tucker would be goner for sure. But then we got to the performances.
 
The night was actually full of awesome routines from start to finish and pretty much everyone was praised and adorned and practically worshipped. Everyone except for Alan and Malece. Those poor souls could not have been told they sucked more, and their performance wasn’t really that bad. Alan was even told he sucked in the group routine at the end of the show. So who went home? Oh, that would be Alan and Malece…with “I can sometimes dance” Tucker safe for the week. Grrrr.
 
Anger aside, it was a good episode. Alex Freaking Wong returned to dance in “I can sometimes dance” Tucker’s place. Makenzie and Paul rocked my world with their contemporary piece set to Lady Gaga’s “Edge of Glory.” Oh how I love Mother Monster. And finally, Jasmine and Aaron’s NappyTabs routine had me wishing I could pop and lock. Or pop n lock. Whatever it is. Clearly I’m not destined to be in anyone’s crew.
 
So now we are down to our Top 10 and we can look forward to the return of the All Stars in the next episode. I’m interested to see how the judges’ favorites fare with these disgustingly amazing veteran dancers, and we have now hit the most exciting portion of the season (in my opinion). We’ll see who rises to the challenge and who gets lost in the shuffle soon. Til then!

No comments:

Post a Comment