So there are many of you who loyally watch these shows and, like me, make continual comments to the television whether anyone else is in the room or not. Alternately, there are many of you who do not have the time to keep up with reality TV – there are too many shows, your tivos runneth over, you have kids and can’t remember what it’s like to watch anything beyond Dora the Explorer (you know who you are) – but you also want to be “in the know.” That’s fine. Let me help you understand.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

So You Think You Can Dance: Wicked Game

I have two words for the “All Stars are the choreographers” edition of SYTYCD: Travis and Mark. Setting aside Cat Deeley’s new Mystique hair stair, this episode was fantastic. Even guest judge Dharma Jenna Elfman admitted to having a life changing experience. Some highlights…
The show opened with a group number by the fabulous and greatly missed Mia Michaels. I wanted to sprint through my tv screen and hug her when she appeared on camera. Don’t get me wrong…this show has some pretty stellar choreographers, but Mia Michaels will always be at the top of my “favorites” list.  
Before the rest of the performances began, Cat revealed the bottom 4: Fik-Shun, Tucker, Haley and Jenna. My first thought was…Jenna again? I’m surprised Nigel didn’t book a flight back to the U.K. right then. All four contestants danced solos, mostly because we only have eight dancers left with two hours of show time. Upon conclusion of the solos, each contestant paired up with an All Star/choreographer to get the party started.
Mark Kanemura returned to the SYTYCD stage sans Lady Gaga to put on one hell of a jazz routine with Jenna. He told her during rehearsals: “I’m totally not a vegetarian when it comes to dancing. I literally want it bloody.” I’ll be honest – I haven’t the slightest idea of what this routine was about. Not a clue.  But it was quirky, it was fun, and it was borderline psychotic…and I loved every second of it.
The routine of the night, however, was Travis Wall’s performance with Amy. This guy is just brilliant and it was SO great to see him dancing on that stage again! Their contemporary piece was full of emotion, but overall it was pure beauty. I watched the performance with my mouth agape, lost in their movements, and I have watched it several times since with the same reaction.
Honorable mention goes to Paul for even being in the realm of keeping up with Comfort during their hip hop routine. It’s impossible not to keep your eyes on Comfort and her insane abs, but Paul hung in there surprising everyone and earning rave reviews.
As the show came to a close, Tucker and Jenna were sent packing….right after Nigel told Jenna she had just given the performance of her life. Sooo the judges really do have their minds made up before the show airs.  Interesting. I had been really rooting for Jenna throughout the two hours, so the results of this episode bum me out.
Tonight the remaining six dancers fight for a spot in the two-part finale. I’m pulling for Aaron, Paul, Jasmine and Amy to make it through, but we’ll see if Haley and Fik-Shun can win America over. Regardless, we get more All Star time which is awesome. Til then!

No comments:

Post a Comment