So there are many of you who loyally watch these shows and, like me, make continual comments to the television whether anyone else is in the room or not. Alternately, there are many of you who do not have the time to keep up with reality TV – there are too many shows, your tivos runneth over, you have kids and can’t remember what it’s like to watch anything beyond Dora the Explorer (you know who you are) – but you also want to be “in the know.” That’s fine. Let me help you understand.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The Voice: Team Cee-Lo or Team Blake?

Welcome to the semi-finals! Tonight the Final Four duke it out for a spot in next week’s finale, and only two teams remain in the competition. All of Adam and Xtina’s contestants have been eliminated, and Cee-Lo and Blake each have two artists left. Three of these four finalists, however, will advance to the finale… so both teams will be represented regardless. The remaining contestants will sing only one solo tonight, so they better make it count!
 
Contestant: Trevin Hunte
Team: Cee-Lo
Song: “Wind Beneath My Wings” by Bette Midler
 
Before Trevin even opens his mouth, I am taken with the orchestra that has joined him on stage. Their placement is awesome. Not that he needed a distraction for the audience – Trevin can sing, and he does a beautiful job with this song. He is not my favorite of the finalists, but he may very well have just sealed the deal on his spot in the finale.
 
 
Coaches Say: Adam says the song choice was perfect. Xtina says the song took her back to when she would sing it as a child, but admits she never sang it “as crazy good” as Trevin just did. See, I thought she was going to make this moment about her….and she almost did, but she brought it back and I am thankful. Cee-Lo thinks Trevin has become more polished as a performer, and it was a pleasure to watch him.
-----------------------------------------------------
 
Contestant: Nicholas David
Team: Cee-Lo
Song: “You Are So Beautiful” by Joe Cocker
 
Nicholas goes without the glasses tonight, and I honestly had a hard time recognizing him at first (I know, I know – the hair and the beard are still there…but clearly the glasses were important too). Seems we are all about the staging tonight as well as Nicholas walks around what appears to be an attic? He dedicates this song to his family, and he becomes very emotional as he sings. Nicholas has a tendency to make me sleepy, but he had me for the entire song tonight.
 
Coaches Say: Adam says Nicholas is one of the most soulful people he has ever met. I guess we don’t have a ton of time because we go right to Cee-Lo. He tells Nicholas he looks handsome tonight. He also says that this song was the right move and the performance was heartfelt.
-----------------------------------------------------
 
Contestant: Cassadee Pope
Team: Blake
Song: “Stupid Boy” by Keith Urban
 
I know Cassadee really enjoys the Avril Lavigne/Michelle Branch vibe, but I seriously think she is cut out for country music. Can’t believe that I did not care for her in the beginning of the show, and I was absolutely mistaken. I prefer Cassadeee’s rendition of “Stupid Boy” to the original – she’s connected to it, she nails it, and I truly hope it’s enough to put her through to next week. In my mind she has definitely earned the right to compete in the finale.
 
Coaches Say: Xtina thinks Cassadee’s voice is so “right on” at times it sounds like auto-tune. She says she is blown away because most artists only wish they can do on stage what they do in a recording studio.   Blake gives Cassadee a standing ovation. He’s soooo proud. He says no one can do what Cassadee just did in her performance.
-----------------------------------------------------
 
Contestant:  Terry McDermott
Team: Blake
Song: “Let it Be” by The Beatles
 
This is such an amazing song, and I’m so excited Terry gets to close the show with it. Backed by a choir, and with a stage that resembles a church, Terry’s performance is just awesome. One of the best parts is when the camera cuts to Adam who is singing along with a tremendous amount of enthusiasm. Kidding aside though, I can’t say enough about Terry, and I look forward to him releasing an album. Well done.
 
 
Coaches Say: Adam says “Thank God for you, Terry.” Blake tells us that song is sacred ground and there aren’t a lot of singers in the world who should attempt it. He also says that in his heart he believes Terry’s performance was “musical perfection.” YES.
-----------------------------------------------------
 
Tomorrow night we find out which of the four finalists will juuuuust miss the finale. From my standpoint, as long as Team Blake makes it through unscathed, I’m good to go. I would also love for Terry to win it all and give Blake his second team win in a row. We’ll see if he gets the chance or if Team Cee-Lo’s contestants can edge out Terry and Cassadee during the elimination show. Til then!

No comments:

Post a Comment