So there are many of you who loyally watch these shows and, like me, make continual comments to the television whether anyone else is in the room or not. Alternately, there are many of you who do not have the time to keep up with reality TV – there are too many shows, your tivos runneth over, you have kids and can’t remember what it’s like to watch anything beyond Dora the Explorer (you know who you are) – but you also want to be “in the know.” That’s fine. Let me help you understand.

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

American Idol 2013

Strange that I started this blog a year ago as American Idol moved into the live performances with the Top 13 (which quickly became 12 due to a criminal record revelation). So much has changed with the show, many of those changes being positive, but my normal “we’re on to the LIVE shows!” excitement has waned this year.
For starters, Randy Jackson is once again the last man standing on the judges’ panel after losing Jennifer Lopez and my beloved Steven Tyler. How Randy has become the staple for this show is just beyond me. You know, he worked with Mariah…. and speaking of which, her presence has actually breathed some much needed life back into the show. I had expected a total diva, but her critiques are given with the best of intentions, and it seems that she truly wants to make the contestants better. However, she’s probably going to be greatly disappointed later on when she realizes that American Idol isn’t always about the singing.
Another uplifting change has been the addition of Keith Urban to the panel. 1) He’s gorgeous. 2) He’s Australian. 3) He’s a talented country musician. 4) Please refer to numbers 1 and 2.  Jokes aside though, he seems to be enjoying and appreciating his gig, and with American Idol increasingly attracting more country contestants, the show seriously needed a judge with that background.
And now, God help me, on to Nicki Minaj. When I watched the first few audition episodes I thought that this would be it for me… that there was no way I could make it through the whole live portion of the season without my thumb glued to the fast forward button. She pouts when other judges have anything to say (kind of what they are getting paid for), toggles with several different accents to bring the attention back to her, and I have no idea how her eyeballs are still attached to her head given the amount of rolling they do on a minutely basis. Granted, I do think she has gotten a little better since the auditions, but who knows what will happen when the show goes live and the votes are up to America?
I will start recapping when we get to the Top 12..13…whatever Idol decides next week. Til then!
                                  

No comments:

Post a Comment