So there are many of you who loyally watch these shows and, like me, make continual comments to the television whether anyone else is in the room or not. Alternately, there are many of you who do not have the time to keep up with reality TV – there are too many shows, your tivos runneth over, you have kids and can’t remember what it’s like to watch anything beyond Dora the Explorer (you know who you are) – but you also want to be “in the know.” That’s fine. Let me help you understand.

Thursday, March 21, 2013

American Idol: You May Say I'm a Dreamer

On tonight’s episode of American Idol, the finalists take on the tunes of The Beatles, or as Nicki calls them: “Who?” We have nine contestants left in the competition, and I feel that many of them will be challenged by tonight’s theme as it has been done several times on Idol already throughout the years. Will our finalists be able to deliver their own twist on these classic songs? We’ll find out shortly….

 
First we get the highly-anticipated (?) results from last week’s “who gets that last spot on the tour?” sing off. Ryan himself doesn't even look enthusiastic about this as he opens the envelope. Charlie Askew stands nervously next to Aubrey Cleland awaiting the news, and after the nationwide vote...the fans have chosen Aubrey. Charlie handles it pretty well and Aubrey's family goes nuts in the audience. Congrats to her, but let’s get to the performances.



Contestant:  Kree Harrison
Song: “A Little Help From My Friends”

I really can’t think of a better way to start the show. I giggle when she says “I will try not to sing out of key.” Like that would happen. What a voice this girl has though – she effortlessly delivers on this song and I’m sad when it’s over. I would lend Kree my ear anytime.
 
Judges Say: Keith loves that regardless of the song Kree is always herself. Nicki piggybacks off of this and says she has her own “Kreedom.” Not gonna lie…I wish I had thought of that. Nicki also says the choices Kree makes are always perfect for her voice. Randy still uses the phrase “da bomb” and I suddenly wish Nicki was still talking. Mariah didn’t think it was good… she thinks it was fan-freaking-tastic. Agreed!
-------------------------
 
Contestant: Burnell Taylor
Song: “Let It Be”
 
Burnell begins his recording session with Jimmy Iovine saying “I don’t know the song.” This is a problem since, you know, the vast majority of the viewers know this song by heart because, you know, it's one of the most famous Lennon-McCartney penned songs. He begins the song sounding quite confident and pleasant, but I think he does lose the lyrics briefly just before the choir comes out. This is just an okay performance for me. “Let It Be” is a powerful song with a powerful message and I just didn’t get any of that from Burnell tonight.
 
Judges Say: Nicki says Burnell caressed the song and she felt like she was in church. Randy calls The Beatles “the greatest song-writing groups of ever time.” That’s not a typo. Mariah is so proud that Burnell gave such a heartfelt performance. Keith loves how soulful Burnell is and hopes that America agrees. So…no one else noticed the lyrics? Maybe I’m just hearing things…
-------------------------

Contestant: Amber Holcomb
Song: “She’s Leaving Home”
 
This is not at all the song I thought Amber would sing. However, she kills it. Her vocal is just beautiful and she makes this performance look easy. I also appreciate how she made this rendition  more up to date. Nicely done.
 
Judges Say: Randy thought it started slow. I think that was the point with it being a ballad and all, but what do I know? Mariah does not know this song but she thinks the performance was fantastic. “She’s Leaving Home” is Keith’s favorite Beatles song ever and he thinks Amber made it sound fresh. Ever? That's surprising my Austrailian darling, but you can love whatever song you want as long as you tell me about it. Nicki first complains that Amber ditched the lighter lipstick this weel. She then says Amber’s vocal is unmatched but she believes Amber was visibly unhappy with the song choice. I didn’t see that, but I was also distracted by the awesomeness of her voice and the neat strings section that surrounds her.
-------------------------

Contestant: Lazaro Arbos
Song: “In My Life”
 
Last week Lazaro picked a song that was way too big for him, so I go into this thinking it might be a really good song choice. I'm instantly wrong. I still have a hard time hearing him above the music and backup singers, and he is unsure and drowned out for the majority of the song. Maybe it was more clear for those in the venue, but even though I know this song well, I had a hard time understanding the words. Not good.

Judges Say: Mariah says Lazaro is brave to have attempted what he did, but she feels that the song was too low for him. Keith agrees that Lazaro was singing in the wrong key. That's right...it was the key and not the weak vocals. My bad. Nicki still thinks Lazaro is not the Lazaro she loved from the beginning. He’s lost confidence at this point and she needs him back. For Randy, this was Lazaro’s “worst performance ever.” Well I’m glad someone isn’t sugar-coating this one.
-------------------------

Contestant: Candice Glover
Song: “Come Together”

This is one of those moments where I wish Steven Tyler was still part of the show. I imagine him rushing the stage and singing a duet with Candice. Anyway, I LOVE what she does with this song. It’s nice to know that Candice can rock out and have a hell of a time doing so. She could have easily been dubbed a “ballad girl” after last week’s performance, but she is instead proving she’s the total package.  Well done.

Judges Say: Keith loved Candice’s vibe tonight and says the performance was absolutely killer. Nicki thinks that Candice should always have attitude on her face, and I’m glad Candice just says “okay” so we can move on. Randy doesn’t care about her face and calls her voice crazy. He was like “Yeah.” Mariah says Candice was like a prize fighter doing this song and can do things with songs no one else can do.
-------------------------

Contestant: Paul Jolley
Song: “Eleanor Rigby”

Paul is far more scaled back for this Beatles interpretation and I’m very happy to see that. He unleashes some pretty big notes at the end, but this in no way compares to the amazing performance David Cook gave during his season. Watch it here.

Judges Say: Nicki lists the different items of Paul’s clothing and says how much she likes them. She did not, however, like the performance because it was “forgettable.” Randy feels that Paul was disconnected from the song. Mariah thinks the song choice was great and thought the belting was undeniably good, but she wanted him to give just as much effort when he is singing softly. Keith feels that Paul has a pop/rock edge along with some angst that he hopes to see more of. So, Paul Jolley should be less jolly?
-------------------------

Contestant: Angie Miller
Song: "Yesterday"

I'm initially a little worried because Angie stands alone behind a microphone, and she tends to look far more confident when she is playing the piano. My fears are squashed quickly, however, because Angie gives a wonderful performance. She does just enough to the song to make it more contemporary, but she doesn't go crazy with it which is important. The whole thing is just lovely to watch.

Judges Say: Randy says Angie is one of his favorites in the whole competition and loved that she scaled back. Mariah thinks she did a very respectful version of the song. Keith thinks Angie drifted in and out of thinking about singing and actually singing but she thinks she did a good job overall. Nicki says the performance was "unbelievably amazing."
-------------------------
  
Contestant: Devin Velez
Song: "The Long and Winding Road"

During previous Idol seasons the renditions of this song have often been the long and boring performance. Devin is on the bubble here mainly because I think he is worrying just about the singing...there's not a whole lot of feeling in the performance, and there is a portion of the song where I am a little bored. He still has a beautiful voice, and I still prefer him to the other guys  so I hope he makes it through.

Judges Say: Mariah says Devin never ceases to amaze her and she feels that it would be a travesty if he doesn't make it through. Keith thinks the vocal was great but he feels Devin needs to have a little more heart and emotion in his performances. Nicki gives a shout out to the background vocalists...and then does an interesting pronunciation of "pianist" that is likely to give Producer Nigel Lithgoe a near heart attack. She disagrees with Keith, saying Devin is very emotionally committed.
-------------------------

Contestant: Janelle Arthur
Song: "I Will"

I'm already excited for Janelle because she landed the pimp spot tonight, and she absolutely closes the show with grace. Her performance is very subtle but incredibly engaging and I clap for her when it's over.
                                                  

Judges Say: Keith loved the song choice and says her performance was beautiful and pure. Nicki calls Janelle a "beautiful swan goddess" and says the performance make Nicki obsessed with her. Nicki actually has a lot of obsessions it seems. Randy says Janelle is "back," but I don't think she was ever really gone. Mariah tells Janelle she gave a beautiful, elegant performance.  Lots of "beautifuls" there. Steven Tyler would be proud.
-------------------------

Tomorrow we lose another contestant and FOX will most likely issue an apology for Nicki's not so accidental reference to the male appendage. Will Lazaro make it through to another week? Will America pick up the phones for Paul's beyond adorable smile? We'll find out during the results show. Til then!

No comments:

Post a Comment