So there are many of you who loyally watch these shows and, like me, make continual comments to the television whether anyone else is in the room or not. Alternately, there are many of you who do not have the time to keep up with reality TV – there are too many shows, your tivos runneth over, you have kids and can’t remember what it’s like to watch anything beyond Dora the Explorer (you know who you are) – but you also want to be “in the know.” That’s fine. Let me help you understand.

Friday, April 12, 2013

American Idol: We Are All Misfits

On tonight’s episode of American Idol we will find out which five contenders have survived this week’s performances as we say goodbye to another contestant. Will all of the ladies advance? Will we be guaranteed a female winner in 2013? All will be revealed shortly.

Scotty McCreery takes the Idol stage this evening to perform his new single "See You Tonight." This kid has come a long way from sitting on a stool center stage and holding the mic awkwardly to the side as if he was playing a flute. Good for him and all of his success.

The night’s biggest homecoming, however, is Season 1 winner (and my favorite performer ever) Kelly Clarkson.  Her new single “People Like Us” is one of the best she has ever released. It has such a great message, and I love her “I’m not a superstar…I’m just humbled by other superstars” attitude. As a surprise to absolutely no one, I LOVE everything about this performance. The glow in the dark effect was a really nice touch and you can tell how excited Kelly is to debut this song. I'm even going to overlook the fact that everyone except for Nicki was fist pumping with a glow stick. Perhaps she feels she's just too good for such things...or perhaps she thought Keith was enthusiastic enough for both of them. Regardless, this is probably my favorite KC television performance since the 2005 VMAs. You know I’m posting the video….I may have watched it several times already.



Results! Angie  and Janelle are sent to one side of the stage, Lazaro and Amber are sent to the middle, and Kree and Candice off to the right of them. So… there’s a top, middle, and bottom 3 I imagine. Funny the way math works. After a commercial break, Candica and Kree are the top two, Angie and Janelle are are in the middle, and Lazaro and Amber are revealed as the bottom 2. I’m freaking out for a minute thinking Amber might go home, but then I remember the judges have their save and would definitely use it on her. Granted, Amber isn’t my pick to win it all, but there’s nooooo way she should go home tonight.
 
Luckily I don't have to freak out for long because Lazaro has the lowest number of votes. He sings “Feeling Good” as his, well let’s face it, goodbye song. Maybe it’s just me, but he looks kind of relieved…as are most of us. Randy delivers the news that they will not be using the save, and I’m thrilled for the five ladies. This is the first time in a long time that I think Idol has a very competitive Top 5.
                                                     


Next week the women of Idol 2013 duke it out again, and I think at this point it's going to be a pretty good fight. Some say Candice already has it in the bag, which I would be just fine with, but Kree has also been a fan favorite and Jimmy Iovine has called Angie a dark horse in the competition. We'll see how they fare in their next performances. Til then!

No comments:

Post a Comment