So there are many of you who loyally watch these shows and, like me, make continual comments to the television whether anyone else is in the room or not. Alternately, there are many of you who do not have the time to keep up with reality TV – there are too many shows, your tivos runneth over, you have kids and can’t remember what it’s like to watch anything beyond Dora the Explorer (you know who you are) – but you also want to be “in the know.” That’s fine. Let me help you understand.

Thursday, April 11, 2013

American Idol: What the World Needs Now...is a Female Final Five

The one remaining male competitor on American Idol fights to stay ahead of the five ladies this evening, as our Top 6 compete once again. The contestants will sing 2 songs tonight, first taking on the music of Burt Bacharach and then songs the contestants wish they had written. So…the second theme could really just be “pick any song FOX has the rights to.” Should be an interesting two hours. Let’s go!

 
ROUND 1

Contestant: Angie Miller
Song: "Anyone Who Had a Heart"

Angie is back to being “grown up” Angie tonight but without all of the extras that she got criticized for during Motown plus Madonna Detroit Week. I mean really...why would a pretty girl ever think she should try to be seductive  and work the stage during a performance? Silly Angie. Sarcasm. I genuinely liked her performance that week.

I'll be honest and say I don't love this song (in general, not her performance), but she sings it well and I look forward to seeing her second song later on.

Judges Say: Keith starts with “you look great tonight" and I’m immediately worried. He says he’s missing the humanity in her performances. Oh, the humanity! Nicki tells Angie her voice is amazing but feels that Angie wasn’t passionate about the song. Randy encourages Angie to make sure she sings the song as if she wrote it. Mariah says that Angie’s pronunciation is so perfect at times that Angie is coming off as more technical than less emotional. Okay, I can see where that is a fair point.
---------------------------------------------

Contestant: Amber Holcomb
Song: “I Say A Little Prayer”

I’m noticing Amber’s ink for the first time tonight. I have a tattoo in the same place on my arm so I’m already smiling when her performance starts. This is a subtle rendition, and I appreciate that she doesn't go over the top here. I feel that this song could easily come of as a loud karaoke disaster (especially for anyone trying to replicate the lunch scene in My Best Friend's Wedding), so I think Amber does a good job with this performance.  I still don't completely understand the extreme praise she gets at times though.

Judges Say: Nicki says she is bowing down to Amber…but really she’s not. She claims Amber is her favorite contestant in the competition now. Randy says “yo” three times and then notifies us that the competition just started. Again…she’s the second performer so it’s not like all of the other contestants have already phoned it in. Mariah thinks that Amber did something special with the song and loved that she stayed Amber. Keith compared her performance to a summer breeze blowing in, and I want to be wherever Keith is spending the summer.
----------------------------------------------

Contestant: Lazaro Arbos
Song: “(They Long to Be) Close to You”

I will say this about Lazaro: I do look forward to seeing what he’ll wear each week. As for the performance…remember when I mentioned phoning it in earlier? Yeah, Lazaro chose the two tin cans on a string method here. I can't hear him, I can't understand him, and it's just time for him TO GO.  I know I can't be alone here - the piano player nearly sprints off stage when it’s all over.

Judges Say: Randy says he is speechless but then talks anyway. He calls the performance horrible and doesn’t understand what’s going on. Me neither, dawg. Mariah pretty much says the Idol execs have told her to stop being so damn nice and then tells Lazaro that at this point in the competition, we can’t have someone who doesn’t recognize a key change. Burn! Keith says Lazaro has a lot of fans and he should be proud of that, but he was sharp and off key the whole song. Nicki essentially asks if we can just move on. Agreed. Next.
----------------------------------------------

Contestant: Kree Harrison
Song: “What the World Needs Now is Love”

I know this tune can be quite cheesy, but I have the chills through the ENTIRE performance. From the a cappella start to the believable finish, I'm just ecstatic for Kree. The song doesn't resonate with me enough to love Lazaro, but at least I'm in a better mood now.

Judges Say: Mariah loved the arrangement and thinks that all of Kree’s performances are natural and she doesn’t have to force any of her emotional connections. Keith believes Kree has genuine compassion that came through in her performance tonight. Nicki says Kree’s voice is so sweet and humble, but at the same time it’s “hella cocky.” Heh. She tells Kree she is ready for this music career. Randy yells at us: “This is a singing show! That was singing!” Yes, Randy. Calm down now… someone give him a cookie or something.  Please.
----------------------------------------------


Contestant: Janelle Arthur
Song: “I’ll Never Fall in Love Again”

So, I love this girl. From the moment she starts the song she is completely engaged with the audience, and I squeal with joy (and jealousy?) when she strolls over to Keith and puts her hand on his back. She has an “I got this” attitude without being off-putting and I think she’s wonderful. I'm not in love with this song either...maybe I'm just not in love with Bacharach tunes...but I do love the country twist she put on it. 

Judges say: Keith thinks Janelle showed a different side of her during the performance and he loved it. Nicki feels that Janelle could be a big success but thought the performance was boring. Booooo. Randy agrees but liked the spots of the song where she changed it up. Mariah compliments Janelle’s hair and then talks about the simplicity of the song for a little while…but I can’t really tell if she liked the performance or not.
-----------------------------------------
Contestant: Candice Glover
Song: “Don’t Make Me Over”

Wow. Just wow. Candice absolutely killllllllls this song. I don’t have time to wait for the judges to praise her - I start my own standing ovation mid way through the performance. Just. Flawless.

Judges say: Everyone stands but Mariah, but I’m not mad at her. Nicki says Candice committed to the song so wholeheartedly that it seemed like a brand new R&B song. For Randy, Candice is in it to win it. Really? That’s what you have to say? Mariah says Candice took a classic and made it her own, calling the performance beautiful. Keith tells Candice she is now in his Top 3.  
-----------------------------------------

ROUND 2

Contestant: Angie Miller
Song: “Love Came Down” by Kari Jobe

I’m not really familiar with this song but Angie has me mesmerized so it doesn’t matter. This is really Angie at her best, singing a song she really believes and doing her magic on the piano keys. Anyone else hoping that she and Colton Dixon do a duet in the finale? Idol producers, PLEASE make that happen.

Judges say: Standing ovation from Keith and Randy. The dawg loves Angie at the piano and calls the performance amazing and unbelievable. Mariah also loves Angie at the piano. Keith really loves Angie at the piano. Nicki takes credit for Angie's good performance because she was hard on her last week. This is the first time tonight I've said "shut up, Nicki" out loud. More than half way through the show... that's pretty darn good.
-----------------------------------------

Contestant: Amber Holcomb
Song: “Love On Top” by Beyonce

Amber's legs are out of control. That said, I do wish she had chosen a different song - even a different Beyonce song would have been okay with me. I’m probably going to be all by myself on this once the judges have their say, but I do not enjoy this rendition regarldless of how distracting her legs are. I mean...they just go on for days....

I know the judges think Amber is the second coming of Whitney Houston (which I think is a little outrageous anyway), but vocally, she is not hanging in there with this performance. As Randy would say:  "It was just all over the place for me." Just my opinion.

Judges Say: This wasn’t Mariah’s favorite vocal from Amber, but she tells Amber to be proud anyway. I'll take that. Keith tells Amber the performance was beautiful. Annnnnd here we go. Nicki says Beyonce better look out…and I can’t even bother to listen to Randy.
----------------------------------------------

Contestant: Lazaro Arbos
Song: “Angels” by Robbie Williams

Lazaro is finally able to choose a song he already knows the words to and has performed before. The performance is still not very good, but he is at least stronger on the chorus than he’s been on anything in a while. Meh.

Judges Say: Keith loves Robbie Williams’ version of that song. Nicki refuses to comment again. Randy says the competition is “a girl’s race.” Thanks Randy – the rest of us were still wondering who the weak link was. Mariah says Lazaro redeemed himself slightly but he still doesn’t compare to the girls.  
----------------------------------------------

Contestant: Kree Harrison
Song: “Help Me Make It Through the Night” by Kris Kristofferson

I haven’t heard this song in a very long time and I forgot how good it was. Also good? Amazing even? That would be Kree. While she has been consistent with all of the themes, it’s just refreshing to see her in her element with this song. Fantastic.

Judges Say: Nicki tells Kree she is great while bashing Janelle at the same time. Completely unnecessary.  Randy says Kree is a “natural, natural singer.” I guess the extra “natural” puts her in a higher category that the regular natural singers. Mariah has covered this song in the past but says Kree sang it the way it should be sung. Keith predicts that Kree will become a member of the Grand Old Opry soon enough.
----------------------------------------------

Contestant: Janelle Arthur
Song: “The Dance” by Garth Brooks

Way to go, Idol producers - making Janelle go immediately after Kree tonight when certain judges keep expressing how flawed Janelle is in comparison. I think she does a great job with this song though. Garth Brooks’ original is superior for sure, but Janelle puts her heart and soul into it and I think she has earned her spot in next week’s show.

Judges Say: Randy doesn’t think this was Janelle’s best performance but he loves that she believes so much in the song. Mariah does not know this song (what?!) but she felt Janelle’s connection. Keith would have loved to see Janelle play the guitar in her performance…and that’s all he really says. Nicki thinks Janelle stepped it up vocally with this performance but she wasn’t better than the other girls tonight. Ugh.
----------------------------------------------

Contestant: Candice Glover
Song: “Lovesong” by The Cure

I have no words to describe how much I love this performance. I’m just going to post the video.

 
Judges Say: Standing ovation from everyone! The judges are going insane! Keith is bowing down in an “I’m not worthy” fashion and Mariah walks on stage and THROWS GLITTER on Candice.  No really… Mariah has a stash of glitter at the judges table (I’m refraining from all comments regarding the movie). Candice starts crying, I yell “I love you, Candice!” at the TV, and I’m just so glad she had these two great moments tonight. She SO deserved it. Randy speaks for all of the judges and says this was one of the best performances in Idol history. I’m not inclined to argue.
----------------------------------------------

So there it is. Tomorrow another contestant heads home, but more importantly…Kelly Clarkson will return to the house that she built to perform her awesome new single “People Like Us.” I’m so excited for this that I am not even entertaining the possibility that any of the girls will be eliminated. Til tomorrow!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment