So there are many of you who loyally watch these shows and, like me, make continual comments to the television whether anyone else is in the room or not. Alternately, there are many of you who do not have the time to keep up with reality TV – there are too many shows, your tivos runneth over, you have kids and can’t remember what it’s like to watch anything beyond Dora the Explorer (you know who you are) – but you also want to be “in the know.” That’s fine. Let me help you understand.

Wednesday, December 9, 2015

The Voice Semi-Finals Elimination: Don't Dream It's Over

So tonight's elimination episode was totally out of the norm and not necessarily in a good way. The semi-finals were concluded with the elimination of 5 contestants in a weird sudden death/Stupid Twitter Save combo that still has me scratching my head. Here's how it played out:

First and foremost, all shenanigans aside, Dolly Parton is a national treasure. It is impossible not to love this woman. Her performance of "Coat of Many Colors" had me grinning from ear to ear and I found myself setting my Tivo to record her NBC movie on Thursday. It was almost like I had no choice...

Results! The first artist that made it through to the finale was Jordan (duh). He was followed by Emily Ann and Barrett which immediately ruined my hopes for the Final Four. Then Carson did something strange. He announced 3 artists who would be performing to win the Stupid Twitter Save, which were Jeffery, Madi, and Zach. Still with me? The remaining 3 had the lowest number of votes and were instantly eliminated. So we said goodbye to Braiden, Amy, and Shelby at the 35 minute mark. 

Zach chose "Live Like You Were Dying" as his "save me song," which was an odd choice considering the song is sung from the point of view of a man in his 40s. I didn't feel any connection from Zach at all. Madi went with "Don't Dream It's Over" and she was nervous. I love her but this was unfortunately not a strong performance. She cried when it ended and I wanted to hug her. Poor kid. Jeffery rounded out the performances with "Make It Rain" and realllllly sang for the save. He ended up winning over the Twitterverse and we said goodbye to Madi and Zach. 

I'm definitely sad to see Madi go. I thought her style was refreshing and I was looking forwarding to seeing what she would do next week. Pharrell also has no representation in the finale and that's a bummer too. However, Jeffery has been the reason I've been #TeamGwen since the show went live and he did have the best performance tonight. Next week he will face off against Jordan and the remainder of Team Blake in hopes of winning it all. Does Jordan already have it in the bag? Can anyone but Jeffery take the title away from him? We'll find out during the two part finale. Til then!

No comments:

Post a Comment