So there are many of you who loyally watch these shows and, like me, make continual comments to the television whether anyone else is in the room or not. Alternately, there are many of you who do not have the time to keep up with reality TV – there are too many shows, your tivos runneth over, you have kids and can’t remember what it’s like to watch anything beyond Dora the Explorer (you know who you are) – but you also want to be “in the know.” That’s fine. Let me help you understand.

Tuesday, December 8, 2015

The Voice Semi-Finals: You Ain't Seen Nothing Like Me Yet

Tonight we have reached The Voice semi-finals which means the Top 9 contestants will square off again...only to have 5 of them be eliminated tomorrow. Yup. Makes way more sense then maybe eliminating them in twos in the beginning. Soooo these hopefuls are in a do or die situation tonight and need to lay all of their cards out on the table to try to win over America. Let's get to it. 

Artist: Barrett Baber
Team: Blake
Song: "Ghost" by Ella Henderson

Love this song...but I don't love Barrett's version. The song is way too low for him at times and he's completely out of breath other times. I see what Blake was trying to do with this song choice. I do. But it just doesn't translate to something I ever want to hear again. 

Coaches Say: Pharrell says Barrett shared his emotions in the purest way possible. Pocahontas Gwen can see that Barrett is enjoying this moment and she's very proud of him.  Adam tells Barrett he knew that Barrett would be in the semi-finals and he thinks the song choice was cool. Blake literally feels like he watched Barrett kick the door in to make it to the finale. Either that or the door is going to hit him in the ass during the eliminations tomorrow. 
------------------------------------------------

Artist: Shelby Brown
Team: Adam
Song: "Even God Must Get the Blues" by Jo Dee Messina

I really do like Shelby. I like that she's humble, I like that she's subtle, and I like that she's damn talented. She goes into tonight's performance worried because people may not know the song. Shelby sings it so beautifully that it really shouldn't matter. I'm pulling for this kid. I want to see her again next week. 

Coaches Say: Blake says Shelby sounded amazing tonight and Pharrell tells Shelby she connected to the song and looked confident. Gwen says this her favorite Shelby performance. Adam lets Shelby know (lovingly) that she drives him crazy, but he tells America that she deserves to be in the finale. Agreed. 
------------------------------------------------

Artist: Jeffery Austin
Team: Gwen
Song: "Believe" by Cher

I've never even thought about what this song would sound like without the club vibe or the techno or the echo or the Cher. Jeffery slows it down though and turns the tune into a believable, pleading, painful ballad and I thoroughly enjoy it. I think Jeffery has had better performances throughout the season but this was a smart choice and should be more than enough to get him to the finale. If you're counting, I've already picked 2 finalists and we've only seen 3 performances. 

Coaches Say: Blake hopes all of his artists make it into the finale but he says Jeffery absolutely deserves to be there too. Gwen says "Hi. You're awesome." She stands and enthusiastically asks everyone to vote for him right now. 
------------------------------------------------

Artist: Braiden Sunshine
Team: Gwen
Song: "Amazing Grace"

Oh no. Remember how just one season (or mere months) ago Meghan Linsey sang this mostly a capella? Remember how she slayed it? You do? Then what are you doing Braiden?!? Yes, he sounds like an angel. Yes, he has the face of an angel. But there's nothing really exciting happening here. I know - booooooo. It's a "nice" version of a song that has had some unbelievable voices cover it over the years with some very emotional, very powerful performances. 

Coaches Say: Adam says Braiden's journey on the show has been unique because of his age and he proved that he can do anything. Pharrell tells Braiden he gives hope to kids who are 10 years old, 11 years old, 12 years old. That's what he actually said. Gwen is emotional and says the performance was spiritual and beautiful. 
------------------------------------------------

Artist: Zach Seabaugh
Team: Blake
Song: "The Climb" by Miley Cyrus

Zach knows now that his niche is really those dance-y songs that he can really show his personality in. So this week he goes with a ballad and stands behind a mic stand instead. Huh? He strums a guitar a few times here and there for good measure but Zach sounds better tonight than he has on his ballad attempts in all other weeks. Maybe this is the right song choice for him after all. Maybe it doesn't matter because he has so many voting fans already.

Coaches Say: Gwen says that if she was in high school she would have Zach's pictures taped in her locker. Blake tells Zach that this was his best performance of the season. 
------------------------------------------------

Artist: Madi Davis
Team: Pharrell
Song: "Big Girls Don't Cry" by The Four Seasons

I've never heard "Big Girls Don't Cry" quite like this before. It's quirky and fun and I'm a big fan of this laid back rendition. Madi's got me smiling the whole time and her little "duet" with the accordion player is just fantastic. This is my favorite performance so far tonight and I'm looking to see Madi in the finale (that's 3!). 

Coaches Say: Blake and Pharrell give Madi a standing ovation. Adam says this is "the most different thing" he's ever heard on the show and he loves where this performance was in the season. Blake felt like he was watching a Disney movie or something because it was too perfect to be live. Pharrell hasn't been able to sit down yet and he reminds us that Madi is 16. Blake yells again "too perfect to be live!"
------------------------------------------------

Artist: Emily Ann Roberts
Team: Blake
Song: "9 to 5" by Dolly Parton

Emily Ann is super nervous to sing Dolly Parton, which is a given, but she surprises the hell out of me with this performance. Emily Ann shows more personality tonight than she has all season and I'm SO glad to see her have so much fun. She also sounds pretty damn good. Is Emily Ann a contender? She's not one of my picks but if we do have Team Blake represented in the finale, I hope it's her. 

Coaches Say: Gwen says Emily Ann's vocal was crazy and loved that her spunky side came out. Blake tells his young contestant that she is going to make somebody so much money. He ends with "You have to be going to the finale."
------------------------------------------------

Artist: Amy Vacahl 
Team: Adam
Song: "To Make You Feel My Love" by Bob Dylan

We've heard many covers of this tune throughout the past decade of singing competitions so I initially wince when I hear the song choice. However, Amy's version is incredibly heartfelt and lovely and I can't take my eyes off of her. She's not "flipping a song" here or using any gimmicks. She is, however, still giving her all and I really appreciate the subtlety and emotions of her performance. 

Coaches Say: Pharrell says Amy's voice is made up of what beautiful clouds are made of. Adam tells the audience at home that the venue was completely still during Amy's performance. He says what she did was "refreshingly raw" and I couldn't agree more. 
------------------------------------------------

Artist: Jordan Smith
Team: Adam
Song: "Somebody To Love" by Queen

It's no surprise that Jordan is closing the show tonight. I wouldn't be surprised if he closes the show next Monday as well. This has always been my favorite Queen song. I even cheered with the kids during Ella Enchanted when Anne Hathaway busted this song out. Haven't seen it? Or won't admit to having seen it? Shame on you. Anyway, Jordan has CRAZY vocals here and the whole thing is quite a production. The performance is pretty much perfection from start to finish and of course I am rooting for him to make it to the finale (4!). I actually need to go back and watch it a few more times. 

Coaches Say: Everybody stands and rightly so. Adam runs up to the stage to give Jordan a hug. We're running out of time at this point and Adam says the performance was one of the best things he's ever seen. 
------------------------------------------------

So I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Jordan, Jeffery, Madi and Shelby, though I think Amy will end up with Shelby's spot. I'm disappointed that we won't have more time with these contestants but I get that The Voice needs to wrap up before we get too close to Christmas. Am I close in my predictions? Will someone from Team Blake kick through the finale door? We'll find out during the elimination hour. Til then! 


No comments:

Post a Comment