So there are many of you who loyally watch these shows and, like me, make continual comments to the television whether anyone else is in the room or not. Alternately, there are many of you who do not have the time to keep up with reality TV – there are too many shows, your tivos runneth over, you have kids and can’t remember what it’s like to watch anything beyond Dora the Explorer (you know who you are) – but you also want to be “in the know.” That’s fine. Let me help you understand.

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

The Voice Finale Part 2: Rhythm Nation

Alicia has herself a winner! Chris Blue emerged victorious in part 2 of The Voice season 12 finale and we're all lucky neither he, nor his coach needed to be hospitalized from all the emoooootions of the evening. Here are some of the highlights from the two hour extravaganza filled with surprise performers and, well, filler. 

Guest Stars
  • Chris Stapleton was in the house to perform "Either Way" and I'm sure Jesse was chomping at the bit to storm the stage and turn the song into a duet. Hold back dude. Chris is amazeballs all on his own. 
  • Former and future The Voice coach Miley Cyrus took us all to Malibu... well not really. But that song "Malibu" is super catchy and I love it. She also made a special dedication to Ariana Grande and the folks in Manchester. 
  • Jennifer Hudson brought the house down with "Remember Me." Her voice is just phenomenal. J-Hud will soon be a coach on this show and I really look forward to seeing her mentor a team. 


Collaborations
  • For whatever reason someone decided it was a good idea for Marky Mark to join Daddy Yankee and Luis Fonsi on stage for "Despacito," a song I thoroughly enjoyed until those few minutes of collaboration.
  • Brennley was up next and she performed "Yours If You Want It" with Rascal Flatts and she killed it. Looked totally natural up there with those guys and I hope she's made some good connections there. 
  • Jesse paired up with former The Voice coach CeeLo Green for a funky rendition of "Shining Star," and Adam was right in saying these guys were a good match. I really enjoyed this. 
  • Lauren took on "Better Man" with Little Big Town and the performance was awesome. I love Little Big Town and adding Lauren to the mix worked great. Puhleeeease take her on tour with you!
  • Another perfect pairing was the duet between Hunter and Gwen. Their rendition of "Don't Speak" gave me the chills and made me very sad that he was not in the final four tonight. 
  • Alessia Cara and Aliyah collaborated on "Scars To Your Beautiful" and it was really nice to see Aliyah sing with another youngster. She had a great time and the performance was fun to watch.
  • TSoul, Vanessa, and Gladys Knight(!) took the stage to perform "You're the Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me" and "If I Was Your Woman." Gladys Knight is 72 years old and I am always blown away by her voice. Sure, TSoul and Vanessa held their own, but I would bow down to this woman if I was ever in the same room with her. 
  • Chris and former The Voice coach Usher chose to sing "Everybody Hurts" tonight as their thoughts are with the victims of the Manchester bombing and their loved ones....and really anyone affected by the tragedy. I think we needed this tune tonight and their duet was moving and beautiful. There were definitely some tears shed on my sofa. Watch it here


Results! 
  • Jesse finished 4th which I'm sure had Adam fuming. Young Aliyah came in 3rd, leaving Lauren and Chris standing nervously waiting for Carson to stop the dramatic stall and make the damn announcement. In the end Chris Blue was crowned the season 12 winner. The confetti fell, he cried, his family cried, and Alicia hugged Blake so hard that I worried for his safety. I didn't cry or explode with joy but I am certainly happy for this guy. Chris has been the front runner all season and dude never faltered in his performances. At the same time, I do hope Blake takes good care of his contestant and gets Lauren a jump start in the country music scene. I think she's earned it. Congrats to Alicia and Chris though - loved watching her dance with the trophy and watching him humbly try to get through performing his new single. The very long hug he and Lauren shared mid song was heartwarming. 

The Voice will take a hiatus for a few months and return in the fall with some different folks in the coaches' chairs during the 13th season. Miley Cyrus and Jennifer Hudson will rotate in for Alicia and Gwen while the exhausting bromance between Blake and Adam continues. No word yet on whether Alicia will return for season 14 but, as you may have heard, my beloved Kelly Clarkson will be one of the coaches rotating in...meaning I will be insufferable for the first half of 2018. I hope everyone has a fantastic summer and I will see you in September. Til then! 

No comments:

Post a Comment