So there are many of you who loyally watch these shows and, like me, make continual comments to the television whether anyone else is in the room or not. Alternately, there are many of you who do not have the time to keep up with reality TV – there are too many shows, your tivos runneth over, you have kids and can’t remember what it’s like to watch anything beyond Dora the Explorer (you know who you are) – but you also want to be “in the know.” That’s fine. Let me help you understand.

Thursday, December 14, 2017

The Voice Semi-Finals Results: What Hurts The Most

We were soooo close to getting this right. So close. On tonight's semi-finals slaughter, four contestants were eliminated on The Voice, revealing the final contenders for next week's finale. With four guys, four girls, and all four teams still in the running going into this evening, there were a lot of potentially fun possibilities on the horizon - an all female finale? An all male finale? All 4 teams in the finale? Just 3 teams? Just 2 teams? In the end, only one of those scenarios happened, and here is how it all played out... 

We saw some more familiar faces return tonight as Alisan Porter, Chris Mann, Mary Sarah, Matt McAndrew, Matthew Schuler and Michael Sanchez previewed their Vegas show with "It's Time." It was nice to see most of these folks and the performance was fun, but I'm pretty sure entire closets were thrown when J-Hud took the stage to perform "Burden Down." It's hard to think about handing any kind of title to one of the remaining contestants after watching Jennifer do her thing on stage tonight. I mean...when she stood up from the piano and finished the song a capella, I just about lost my mind. THAT'S how it's done, kids. Watch the performance here if you haven't yet.

Results! Chloe, Addison, and Brooke all advanced to the finale and I thought we were off to a great start. The bottom 2 people who were eliminated immediately with no chance at the Stupid Twitter Save were Davon and Keisha (sad face), leaving Red, Adam, and Noah singing for that last spot. I didn't panic...I figured "Noah's got this." 

Red kicked off the performances with a toe-tapping rendition of "Dixieland Delight." Like the majority of Red's other performances, it was fine but nothing special. Adam went with "Here's a Quarter (Call Someone Who Cares), and pretty much killed the performance...after all, he's done this before. Noah rounded out the "save me" performances with "Sign of the Times." Dude. This should have been a slam dunk. I'm not sure if it was nerves, but the first part of the performance just made me wince. There were some bright(ish) spots in the chorus, but his was unfortunately the weakest of the three performances. In the end though, RED ended up snagging that last spot in the finale and I can't get my palm away from my forehead.  I'm not sure why we are still allowing social media to instantly decide on who makes it to the finale. At this point it should be based on the same voting system that got the first 3 people their spots. Hell, if Red had the votes for that 4th spot, I wouldn't care, but this damn Stupid Twitter Save has just about done me in.

Next week is the Season 13 finale where J-Hud can sit relatively stress free and throw shoes at the other coaches, and where we will see if Addison, Brooke, and (god help me) Red can unseat who most people, including myself, already assume is the victor. Will "iconic" Chloe lose any momentum? Will Coach Adam's constant "my artist is more unique and special than your artist" nonsense hurt his contestant's chances in the long run?  Will Brooke's killer power vocals end up leading her to victory? Could we really be looking at a confetti shower for Red next week? We know that I can't say "I won't watch this show anymore if Red wins" because Kelly Clarkson is coaching next season and my blog will be unbelievably biased...but I sure hope that likable cowboy doesn't take the title from any of these ladies. We'll find out who wins it all when the final 4 battle again next week. Til then!

No comments:

Post a Comment