So there are many of you who loyally watch these shows and, like me, make continual comments to the television whether anyone else is in the room or not. Alternately, there are many of you who do not have the time to keep up with reality TV – there are too many shows, your tivos runneth over, you have kids and can’t remember what it’s like to watch anything beyond Dora the Explorer (you know who you are) – but you also want to be “in the know.” That’s fine. Let me help you understand.

Wednesday, May 23, 2018

The Voice Finale Part 2: Hold Your Breath And Count To Ten

WOW! After several months of auditions, battles, playoffs, Stupid Twitter Saves, team performances and duets, the Season 14 winner has been crowned on The Voice. First time coach Kelly Clarkson walked (or most likely danced) away victoriously tonight as 15 year old Brynn Cartelli beat Britton Buchanan, Spensha Baker, and Kyla Jade(!) for the title, the tears, and the confetti shower. Here are the highlights...

Bring Backs:
-- Britton teamed up with Jackie F, Christiana, Mia, and WILKES for a group effort on "In the Air Tonight." This performance was the show opener and quite haunting, so it's not like we kicked things off with a bang this evening.

-- Kyla was joined by Rayshun, Sharane, and Johnny for a mass explosion of energy and also a performance of "Killer/Papa Was a Rolling Stone." All jokes aside, the vocals here were insane.

-- If Spensha and Brynn were able to bring anyone back, I missed it. I guess all of the guest stars and filler videos of how corny and fun the coaches are were more important than all of the Final Four getting in a group number.

Guest Stars:
-- Dua Lipa took the stage to perform her sassy single "IDGAF." Truthfully, I've never heard of her or the song but she had me with the title.

-- Alicia Keys joined James Bay to do a duet version of his song "Us." I'm embarrassed to say I've never heard this song either, but damn did these two sound amazing together. AMAZING. I actually needed to watch the performance twice before I could move on with the rest of the finale.

-- Season 13 winner Chloe Kohanski returned to The Voice to debut her new single "Come This Far," which is a tune that could have time traveled from the 1980s (not complaining). It's nice to see that Chloe has an even stronger stage presence now than the last time we saw her...and generally it's just nice to see a former winner pop up again. Anyone have news on Chris Blue's album?

-- Florence + the Machine performed "Hunger" tonight, a song I'm happy to say I do know, and I'm a huge fan of this band. I can never take my eyes off of Florence Welch when she's on my TV and I loved this performance.

-- Halsey and Big Sean joined forces to throw down with "Alone." There were SO many dancers on that stage I thought for a second we might be getting ready for the next season of SYTYCD...but then I realized we were on the wrong network.

-- Jason Aldean then sloooooooowed down the night considerably with his performance of "Drowns the Whiskey." I love Jason Aldean but I was nodding off a bit here.


Final Four Duets:
-- Spensha kicked off the duets with Kane Brown, singing "What Ifs" and smiling up a storm. The verses is this performance were painful but the two seemed to fare much better in the choruses.

-- Brynn's duet partner was Julia Michaels which was fun for a couple of reasons. 1) Julia wrote Brynn's original song "Walk My Way and 2) Their voices were made to collaborate. Seriously. Their renditions of "Issues" and "Jump" were gorgeous.

-- Britton was paired with Ryan Adams for a pleasant but snoozy rendition of "To Be Without You." I get why these guys were duet partners...I was just bummed because Britton has totally come out of his shell in the past few weeks and I was hoping he'd have more of an opportunity to let loose tonight.

-- Kyla rounded out the duets as she and J-Hud brought the house down with "I Know Where I've Been." This. Blew. My. Mind. I'm just going to post a link for you to watch because nothing I can say can do this duet justice.


Results!
Spensha finished in 4th place, as expected, and coming in 3rd was....KYLA. Color me shocked when this announcement happened. It all came down to Britton and Brynn and as the show was about to end, Carson put us out of our "pause, now pause some more, okay just one more pause" misery and crowned Brynn the Season 14 winner. Brynn cried a little, Kelly cried a little, and I cried a little. The show ended before the kid could sing her "Walk My Way" victory single, but I was so thrilled for her...and even more thrilled for Kelly. I remember Kelly singing "I could win with youuuu" when she turned her chair around for Brynn during the blind auditions, and KC has had a hell of a first season on this show. Congrats to Team Kelly, here's hoping Kyla Jade gets to make an album, keeping my fingers crossed that Alicia continues to mentor Britton, and Spensha? Thanks for all the smiles and stuff.

The Voice returns for Season 15 in the fall with resident coaches Adam and Blake, as well as the return of Kelly AND J-Hud. I think the Kelly/J-Hud combo is going to be very exciting....and I need to be excited about something because I feel like the next KC tour just keeps getting more and more delayed. I also always miss Alicia when she's gone, but no one on this show has thrown shoes in a while so it's probably about time for the next rotation anyway. Until then, I wish you all a safe and happy summer!



No comments:

Post a Comment