So there are many of you who loyally watch these shows and, like me, make continual comments to the television whether anyone else is in the room or not. Alternately, there are many of you who do not have the time to keep up with reality TV – there are too many shows, your tivos runneth over, you have kids and can’t remember what it’s like to watch anything beyond Dora the Explorer (you know who you are) – but you also want to be “in the know.” That’s fine. Let me help you understand.

Monday, May 7, 2018

The Voice Top 11 Elimination: It's A Little Too Late

First things first. Some of you have asked whether there will be American Idol posts and I'm sad to say I am not blogging American Idol this season. I haven't been enjoying the reboot, I think it was way too soon for a reboot, and I prefer to pretend that perfect sendoff Fox did two years ago was truly the last episode. Maybe it will grow on me and I'll change my mind if there is another season next year, but for now, on with The Voice! Tonight's elimination hour didn't send us any surprises as the bottom 2 contestants both had a rough night last night. We had some guest performers in this hour, some team performances, and some of the longest pauses in the history of TV before the Top 10 were finally revealed. Here are the highlights. 

Janelle Monae was in the house tonight performing (and I do mean performing) "Make Me Feel," which is a song I had never heard but quite enjoyed. I seriously hope the contestants were taking notes. Adam joined his team for an interesting but entertaining rendition of "The Scientist" and Alicia collaborated with her team on "Gimme Shelter." I was up and clapping for this performance - the four of them were having so much fun and they sounded great both on their own and together. And Alicia's notes? Insane!

Results! Pryor was the first contestant to be announced in the Top 10 and he was soon followed by Britton and Rayshun. Brynn was sent to safety next, giving all four coaches a temporary sigh of relief as they waited to hear the fate of the rest of their teams. Spensha's name was the next one announced and the two Jackies followed here shortly thereafter. Kyla and Kaleb were the last contestants to be called, leaving Sharane and Christiana in the bottom 2. 

Sharane chose "If I Were a Boy" for her "save me" song and boy was this rough. I know she was nervous, but I think I may have actually preferred last night's "Hero" mess to this one. You'd think Christiana would have it in the bag now regardless of song choice, but her rendition of "A Thousand Years" wasn't much better. Really I don't know how the hell social media users chose between these two ladies. In the end though, Christiana did win the Stupid Twitter Save and Sharane was the casualty of "fans pick the songs" week...two things that shouldn't even be things on this show. Sigh.  

Next week the teams will face off again with Kelly and Adam down to 2 contestants and Alicia and Blake holding strong with 3. Will Christiana bounce back from the "Umbrella" monsoon? Will Brynn be back to her old/young self again when the song choice is back in Team Kelly's control? And can we please get someone to take Rayshun's blood pressure immediately after his next performance? I'm just curious as to whether or not he'll break the machine. We'll see how our Top 10 fare during next week's performance show. Til then!

No comments:

Post a Comment