So there are many of you who loyally watch these shows and, like me, make continual comments to the television whether anyone else is in the room or not. Alternately, there are many of you who do not have the time to keep up with reality TV – there are too many shows, your tivos runneth over, you have kids and can’t remember what it’s like to watch anything beyond Dora the Explorer (you know who you are) – but you also want to be “in the know.” That’s fine. Let me help you understand.

Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Top 12 Perform...Kinda.

This evening The Top 12 (well, actually Top 11 - more on that later) will perform songs from the year they were born, a theme only done on Idol once so far...this season. Jimmy Iovine is back as a mentor and his special guest is Will.I.Am. Let’s hope he takes his role seriously. He can go hard or he can go home. I love me some Mary J. Blige, and I thought she was pretty awesome as last week's guest.



Contestant: Phillip Phillips
Song: “Hard to Handle,” by The Black Crows

Good song choice – P squared is battling kidney stones. Phillip is without his guitar this week but he's still doing those neat leg left things he does when he is playing the guitar. Despite his medical recovery, he performs really well. He makes singing with a growl that could bust a blood vessel or five look easy, and I am a big fan.

Judges' Remarks: Randy begins the night with “Yo, dude. So yo, listen.” and I quickly lose interest.
----


Contestant: Jessica Sanchez
Song: “Turn the Beat Around,” by Gloria Estefan

She does pretty well in rehearsal and Will.I.Am calls her a "swaggernaut." You know, like having swag in space...and now I miss Mary something awful. Unfortunately for Jessica, she's out of breath quite a bit on this song (out of breath should have been tonight's theme instead of songs from the year they were born). She's still a quite a performer though, as evidenced by the fact that she taps her fingers almost violently against her mic as she really gets into the song. She should be safe this week regardless - her voice is amazing.

Judges' Remarks: Steven says the rhythm was "shady," and I feel instantly educated because I didn't realize rhythm had that capability. They all still like her voice though, which a plus?
----


Contestant: Heejun Han
Song: “Right Here Waiting,” by Richard Marx

I love Heejun's sense of humor. Seriously – I’m going to continue to root for him just because he asked Will.I.Am for Fergie’s phone number. Unfortunately, he too is out of breath on this song. His enunciation gets him in trouble, and I often can't hear the endings of his words. Bummer. I hope he still gets to call Fergie.

Judges' Remarks: Randy starts with one of his "for me, for you, for me" narratives, and I wait for J.Lo. She says he struggled, but then pulls directly from Steven's playbook and said it was "Beautiful." Steven says Heejun's voice is "special." Uh-oh.
-----

Contestant: Elise Testone
Song: “Let’s Stay Together,” Tina Turner's version of Al Green's song.


For me, for her, for Randy, this was much better that her Whitney Houston (RIP) attempt last week. It was solid, but she's just not my favorite. I'm not jumping up and down, as Randy would say (though I have yet to see him jump up and down).

Judges' Remarks: Steven loves her voice, and Randy says it was dope. She should just assume she received positive feedback.
-----

Contestant: DeAndre Brackensick
Song: “Endless Love,” by Luther Vandross and Mariah Carey


Poor DeAndre wanted to sing "Can You Feel the Love Tonight?" from The Lion King, but for some inexplicable reason, Jimmy thought he really needed to sing "Endless Love." Did he not get that "Can You Feel the Love Tonight?" is now part of a Broadway show as well? And DeAndre spent his childhood obsessed with The Music Man? I mean, who didn't? (No really, I marched to the tune of "Seventy-Six Trombones" proudly). Now to DeAndre's credit, I like it when he's not all falsetto-y, and he gave a good effort, but he was NOT connected to this song.

Judges' Remarks: J.Lo and Randy agree that Jimmy steered him wrong. Steven tells him not to worry because he'll "find it." Um, find what exactly?
-----

Contestant: Shannon Magrane
Song: “One Sweet Day,” by Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men


I'm instantly terrified for her. Her version of Whitney's "I Have Nothing" last week was not great, so clearly she needs to follow it up with a Mariah song? She's out of breath here as well, and I'm not loving it.

Judges' Remarks: They liked it. Randy worked with Mariah - did you know that? He just wants to remind us before he tells Shannon she has "mad potential."
----

Contestant: Colton Dixon
Song: “Broken Heart” by White Lion


So, I don't know this song, but I like it. The stage is all dark and eerie (everybody's got a dark side?). Colton cites Daughtry as an influence, and that absolutely shows in his performance. I can see myself wanting to download his music someday. Not just yet, but soon.

Judges' Remarks: J.Lo doesn't know the song either, and I feel a little bit better. Steven is starting to turn into Mr. Grumpypants and doesn't like the song choice at all. Randy comes up with the quote of the night, saying: "The song didn't matter because you performed it dope." Next.
-----

Contestant: Erika Van Pelt
Song: “Heaven,” by Brian Adams


I love her voice (now I’m Steven). I feel that she is more of a rocker than this song allowed, but she looked very comfortable singing it, and it wasn't a hard sell. I worry for her though. It seems like the folks at Idol believe she may get lost in the shuffle.

Judges' Remarks: Steven is still not a happy camper, and he thinks the arrangment was too busy. J.Lo gives her the "you look amazing" kiss of death. Randy gives the performance an 8 out of 10, but what is that in dawg numbers?
-----

Contestant: Jermaine Jones

We learn now from the Idol Producers that Jermaine has been shown the door due to his concealed criminal history. Concealed, huh? Four warrants against him? In Season 2, Frenchie Davis was booted immediately due to some nude-ish photos that surfaced, but arrest records must be hard to come by. This begs the question: how is American Idol running the background investigations? In my mind, it goes something like this…

Idol Producer: “Have you ever committed any crimes?”
Jermaine: “Nope.”
Idol Producer: “Good enough.”

Moving on.
------

Contestant: Skylar Laine
Song: “Love Sneakin Up On You,” by Bonnie Raitt

Will.I.Am blows my mind with this new term - Ghuntry (Ghetto + Country). Jimmy tries to get Skylar to change her song, and she refuses. Good for her for sticking to her guns (couldn’t help myself). She sells her performances for sure. This isn’t a stand out, or a “moment” as the judges are always looking for, but Skylar is very consistent with her performances. She is becoming one of my faves.

Judges' Remarks: J.Lo thinks she killed it, in a good way. Randy tells her "whatever you sing, you just need to sing it really good." Okay, thanks. I hope she finds that advice helpful.
-----

Contestant: Joshua Ledet
Song: “When a Man Loves a Woman,” by Michael Bolton

I'm going to pull a Randy Jackson for a moment: dude can sing. I know a lot of people keep saying he's to “church-y” but he’s incredibly talented. He feels each word, and I admire that. Too much? Not for me. Not sure that I needed him to take off his jacket, but given how amaaaazing he sang the song, I’m not going to complain. This was a “moment."

Judges Remarks: Standing O and rightly so. They made the guy show us how to eat a crawfish before he sang, so they owed him something already. J.Lo says it was the best thing she's ever seen on American Idol. I don't know that I agree with that, but she's clearly excited, so I'll back off. Randy says he "blew it out da box," whatever that means. Steven says “God came through your eyes.” I'm not going to touch that one.
------

Contestant: Hollie Cavenagh
Song: “The Power of Love,” by Celine Dion

She’s soooo tiny and sings soooo big (I love you this big?). The fog machine is on overload tonight, and I worry the mist may swallow her, but she comes out okay. I absolutely LOVE her performance. Again, anyone that can make singing look effortless has my vote.

Judges Remarks: Randy says Hollie also "blew it out da box." Man, that box is taking a beating tonight. Steven remarks on her potential pitch problems, but then says she came from Heaven above. Mr. Grumpypants is suddenly all about giving shout outs to God. I'm sure He appreciates it.
-----


The show closes with Ryan asking the judges who is in trouble tonight. J.Lo and Steven dance around it, but Randy says Heejun...and....nope, just Heejun. He then pretty much names everyone else in the "good performance" group.


We'll see what happens tonight. My guess is - because Jermaine's top secret past got him ousted, no one will go home tonight. Stay tuned...

1 comment:

  1. Great recap... had me cracking up, as usual Katie! I missed that episode, so I feel caught up!

    ReplyDelete