So there are many of you who loyally watch these shows and, like me, make continual comments to the television whether anyone else is in the room or not. Alternately, there are many of you who do not have the time to keep up with reality TV – there are too many shows, your tivos runneth over, you have kids and can’t remember what it’s like to watch anything beyond Dora the Explorer (you know who you are) – but you also want to be “in the know.” That’s fine. Let me help you understand.

Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Top 9 Idolize Their Idols

Tonight’s show opens with a montage of the remaining contestants saying things like “this is my dream,” and “my life is never going to be the same after this,” and then we cut to shots dream obliteration for Jeremy, Shannon, Erika and Jermaine. Ouch. I guess we needed the reminder that only one will win. Wait – they wouldn’t would they? They do…Ryan introduces the Top 9, exclaiming “may the odds be ever in your favor,” and I’d like to punch him. Seriously? Ryan Seacrest should NOT get to use quotes from The Hunger Games’ kids killing kids in an arena plot and apply those to American Idol. And now I have to wait for one of these contestants to wipe the scowl off my face.

We learn that the Idols will not only sing a song by one of their own idols this evening, but they will also perform in a trio. To help the contestants pull this off, our guest mentor this week is Stevie Nicks. Okay, my angry face is softening. A little.
----------

Contestant: Colton Dixon
Song: “Everything,” by Lighthouse

I’d like to come up with something witty here, but I just can’t. I unfortunately just have to declare my love for Colton instead. He loves this song, he loves the meaning behind this song, he loves performing this song, and I love him. One. Big. Love. Fest. Was I angry before? Can’t remember.

Judges’ Remarks: Steven says Colton has star quality. J.Lo is moved by him, calling him amazing. And here we go… Randy likes the “fly” white coat Colton is wearing, but oddly enough Colton doesn’t compliment the craft store plastic beaded necklace Randy is wearing. Hmmm. Randy then reminds us that there are 9 people left. Check. He thinks Colton could be a contender for the title – whyyyyyyy did it take so long to get there?
------------------

Contestant: Skylar Laine
Song: “Gunpowder and Lead,” by Miranda Lambert

During rehearsal, Stevie sings part of this song with Skylar and reminds her that she is telling a story, not just singing a song. Skylar seems so passionate about rehearsing Miranda’s song and about singing with Stevie, I don’t think she’ll forget the story at all. And I’m not wrong – Skylar is SO into this song. She’s back to stomping and shaking on the stage again, and I’m a fan. Do I like Miranda’s version better? Sure. But Skylar does a great job here. She would be fun to see live in concert (but I’ll have to hope she gets a career started after this, because I don’t think I can force myself to see the Idols on tour this summer).

Judges’ Remarks: Steven says she is over the top, but in a good way, and also beautiful. I think that about covers it, right? Not yet, because even though Randy loved it, he unintentionally offends the country music world anyway. “You have that range. I don’t know if I’ve seen a country star in a long time, other than maybe Carrie, that has that kind of range.” I think I just heard Miranda loading her shotgun.
------------------

Stevie Nicks Trio: Colton, Elise, and Phillip sing “Landslide,” “Edge of Seventeen,” and “Don’t Stop”

I can’t tell if Phillip looks uncomfortable because of the trio thing, or if it’s because he has no mic stand or guitar to work with. I don’t care though – he seems to enjoy the music, smiling more than he usually does, and he is my favorite part of this trio.

Judges’ Remarks: Steven calls the performance “most excellent” and I wait for Keanu Reeves or….that other guy to show up and do an air guitar, but it doesn’t happen.
-------------

Contestant: Heejun Han
Song: “A Song for You,” by Donny Hathaway

Now, Elliot Yamin sang this song in Season 5 with one of Hathaway’s daughters, Kenya, singing back up. Paula Abdul was not the only person in tears after that performance. That was an American Idol “moment” that I’m not sure can be outdone here. And while I applaud how Heejun is trying to be taken seriously again, my Season 5 bias keeps me from loving his performance as much as I know I should.

Judges’ Remarks: Standing ovation. Eh, I don’t know if it was standing ovation quality, but Steven tells Heejun he turned it around. Jennifer follows by saying “no one makes it this far by mistake.” I think you're feeding me lies again, J.Lo. Randy welcomes Heejun and his buttery tone back to the competition.
---------------

Contestant: Hollie Cavanagh
Song: “Jesus Take the Wheel,” by Carrie Underwood

Well now that Randy informed us that Carrie is one of the only country singers with “that” range, this could be interesting. During rehearsal, Stevie reminds Hollie about making the audience believe the story she is telling. When Hollie sings again, Stevie cries. Now, I don’t cry when Hollie performs this song, but I do some really ugly sniffing techniques to hold back tears. She’s just so good.

Judges’ Remarks: Randy likes that Hollie is a Carrie fan (huh?) and then tells her she had some pitchy moments. I throw a pillow at the TV and fast forward to Jennifer. I pick up another pillow just in case but J.Lo disagrees with Randy, calling the performance “one of her best.” Steven wishes she sang a different song, and I’m not sure I understand. Is Hollie not meant to be one of the front-runners? Is that what’s going on here?
------------

Contestant: DeAndre Brackensick
Song: “Sometimes I Cry,” by Eric Benet

I’m not really familiar with this song – actually, I don’t know anything about Eric Benet other than he used to be married to Halle Berry. DeAndre is back to being Falsetto Man, and I’m having a tough time. I want to like this kid. He’s really talented, but this song just isn’t for me.

Judges’ Remarks: Standing ovation, and… wait. Standing ovation? Hollie was “pitchy” but this falsetto-y roller coaster gets a standing o? Steven tells DeAndre he “gave Prince a run for his money.” J.Lo encourages America to pick up the phones and vote for DeAndre. My nerves can’t even take Randy. Next.
-------------------

Contestant: Jessica Sanchez
Song: “Sweet Dreams,” by Beyonce

Jessica slows down this Beyonce song and sings accompanied by harp and piano before the band comes in at the very end. I may like her version better than the original. It’s very pretty, almost haunting, and I never tire of hearing Jessica’s voice.

Judges’ Remarks: J.Lo and Steven just love Jessica and the way she chooses her notes. I never know if the contestants are going to be chastised or applauded for holding back, but it seems to pay off for Jessica here. Randy believes that stars are born, and Jessica has “it.”
-----------

Michael Jackson Trio: DeAndre, Heejun and Joshua sing “Lady In My Life,” “Rock With You,” and “P.Y.T.”

Sigh. I cringe when Ryan announces this performance. Thank goodness Joshua is there to sing “P.Y.T.” and that’s really all I have to say.

Judges’ Remarks: J.Lo notes that none of the guys should try out for So You Think You Can Dance, which is absolutely true. She also misses Michael Jackson. Don’t we all…
-------------

Contestant: Phillip Phillips
Song: "Still Rainin,'" by Jonny Lang

During rehearsal, Stevie thinks Phillip is magical and gorgeous, and I squeal just a little. He takes all of her compliments humbly, and I can’t wait for him to perform. If he went on a solo tour tomorrow, I would buy a ticket to his show not caring what he would sing. Though I have grown to love and adore several Idol contestants at this point, P squared is still the man to beat in my opinion. He gives another high energy, awesome performance tonight, and I am clapping and whistling all by myself on the couch.

Judges’ Remarks: Standing ovation. Yes – that is appropriate here. J.Lo immediately comments that the judges are standing up too much tonight. I agree. Maybe they should take a “when to give a standing ovation” class before next week’s show. Anywho, she and Steven give glowing reviews. Randy lets us know that he and Johnny Lang are friends, and I hope this doesn’t deter people from voting.
----------------

Contestant: Joshua Ledet
Song: “Without You,” by Mariah Carey

Kelly Clarkson sang this during Season 1, and a number of contestants have attempted it since, but I am going to keep an open mind here because I like Joshua. I have to say that the trees on stage are distracting me. By the time he gets into the second verse and chorus though he is on a roll, and good for him. He cries as he closes the song, and I believe he is genuinely moved by this whole experience.

Judges’ Remarks: They stand. Again. Randy is the first one to get up because, you know, he’s worked with Mariah, and I will gladly give Joshua a standing ovation for the rest of the season if Randy does not remind us again that he knows her. And my legs are spared because Randy talks about how he just spoke with Mariah, that Mariah had a birthday yesterday, that she is on vacation… oh right! Joshua is still standing up there waiting for critique. Dude, Randy loves Joshua. Steven thanks Joshua for pouring his heart out, and J.Lo tells Joshua he is an angel and his voice is a Godsend.

Madonna Trio: Jessica, Skylar and Hollie sing “Like a Prayer,” “Borderline,” and “Express Yourself.”

Taking on Madonna and Michael Jackson in the same night is gutsy. The Madonna Trio is wayyyyyy better than the Michael Jackson Trio. Skylar seems a little out of her element with Madonna tunes, but she rolls with it, and I think all three of them do a great job. This is my favorite trio performance of the night.

Judges’ Remarks: Randy loves throw back melodies and Sklyar’s twang. I’m good with that.
------------

Contestant: Elise Testone
Song: “Whole Lotta Love," by Led Zeppelin

Hot damn! Where has this Elise been? Was she just waiting for Stevie Nicks to unlock her inner rock star? She deserved the last spot tonight – there was no better way to close the show. I will definitely be pulling for her to make it to next week.

Judges’ Remarks: It takes a few seconds, but then there is a standing ovation. The producers should just take their chairs away. Randy doesn’t know what’s in the air tonight because everyone wants to win. I check the description of this show again in TVGuide.com, and my suspicions are correct – it’s a competition show, so unsurprisingly, everyone wants to win. Elise receives a ton of praise though, and I am happy for her.
------------

As the show ends, Jennifer gives everyone a standing ovation, and no one names any names regarding who might be in trouble. Out of the 9 left, I still don’t see Heejun or DeAndre winning this thing, but that’s just me. We’ll see what happens tomorrow when Nicki Minaj and Scotty McCreery perform (not together) on the results show!

No comments:

Post a Comment