So there are many of you who loyally watch these shows and, like me, make continual comments to the television whether anyone else is in the room or not. Alternately, there are many of you who do not have the time to keep up with reality TV – there are too many shows, your tivos runneth over, you have kids and can’t remember what it’s like to watch anything beyond Dora the Explorer (you know who you are) – but you also want to be “in the know.” That’s fine. Let me help you understand.

Sunday, December 15, 2013

The X Factor: Falling Slowly

The X Factor journey ends for one more act tonight as we prepare for next week's finale. I'm going to refrain from commenting on the opening group number...which is a cover of Kelly Clarkson's "Stronger." Well, I'll at least give a shout out to Sierra for helping me not throw things during the performance.
 
Results! The first act that will advance to the Finals is....Carilto. WHAT?!?!?! My inclination to throw things returns. How does this keep happening? Carlito says something into the microphone about "Latino forever" and (translation) Paulina thanks America for seeing how talented he is. I'm fuming. Carlito sings "Suavemente," and normally I love a good dance tune, but I can't even bother to shimmy in my seat knowing that one of the remaining acts is definitely going home now.
 
The next act that is announced "safe" is Alex & Sierra and I breathe a huge sigh of relief. It would have been very hard for me to consider watching a finale that did not include them. The duo take on "Let Her Go" by Passenger and the result is fantastic. Their vocals are spot on...and I probably enjoy this version more than the original.
 
We are down to Jeff Gutt and Restless Road. This is a tough one. I like Restless Road better, but I can't argue that Jeff hasn't shown tremendous growth in the past few months. Jeff moves on to next week, singing "Open Arms" by Journey, and the young members of Restless Road are crushed. They don't even get a "goodbye" song.
 
I'm amused that Simon looks so pissed that his country boy band is going home. He bestowed unnecessary praise on Carlito for the past couple of weeks, even saving him from the bottom two. If you want both of your acts to make it to the finale, don't tout the least talented person left in the competition as someone everybody should be rooting for.
 
Next week, the underdog competes against Jeff and Alex & Sierra for the title and the recording contract. Will love conquer all? Will Paulina and Carlito have an inexplicable victory? Will all of Jeff's hard work win him the chance to provide for his adorable son? We'll see what happens next week. Til then!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment