So there are many of you who loyally watch these shows and, like me, make continual comments to the television whether anyone else is in the room or not. Alternately, there are many of you who do not have the time to keep up with reality TV – there are too many shows, your tivos runneth over, you have kids and can’t remember what it’s like to watch anything beyond Dora the Explorer (you know who you are) – but you also want to be “in the know.” That’s fine. Let me help you understand.

Friday, December 20, 2013

The X Factor Finale Part 1: Dream On

We've reached the end of the road for the 2013 season of The X Factor. Tonight the remaining three acts will compete for the last time, hoping to win the title and the recording contract.  For the second week in a row, Demi is just a spectator with an opinion, while Simon, Paulina and Kelly all have a contender left in the finale. The Final 3 will have three chances to win America's votes tonight - an encore of a song from earlier in the season, a duet with someone famous or close to it, and a song chosen by their coach. Let's see how they do...
 
Act:     Carlito Olivero
Team: Paulina
Song:  "Impossible" by Shontelle
 
Carlito does the predictable Spanish/English combo in this performance and the first verse is entirely too low. He picks up the performance at around the half way point and has a strong finish. That's all I got.
 
Critiques: Kelly adores Carlito's heart - he always shares it with the audience and leaves it on stage. Demi was blown away by the performance and believes he can win. Oh Lord. Here we go. Simon really respects Carlito because he can pick himself up and give it his all every time. Paulina says something about passion and deserving support.
-------------------------------------------
 
Act:     Alex & Sierra
Team: Simon
Song:  "Give Me Love" by Ed Sheeran
 
I gotta say - when this season started I was wayyyy more of an Alex fan than a Sierra fan. But now when she starts a song, I'm not eagerly waiting for Alex to jump in. When he does, it's just icing on the cake. They do a great job with this song, and I have definitely joined Paulina's "I love that you love that I love that you love each other" team.
 
Critiques: Kelly tells the duo that they have both grown vocally and says any label would sign them right now. Demi is blown away....again. She is a genuine fan and she feels connected to them. Demi then alludes that Alex & Sierra probably won't win, so she hopes they continue to pursue this career. Paulina says they are unique, and Simon believes that Alex & Sierra are stars that can represent America all over the world.
-------------------------------------------
 
Act:     Jeff Gutt
Team: Kelly
Song: "Dream On" by Aerosmith
 
Oh my. "Dream On" is another one of those songs that I think should be retired from reality TV singing shows. However, Jeff delivers one hell of a performance. This might be the first time I've looked at him and reallllllly thought "rock star." Maybe it's because he finally got rid of the leather gloves with no finger tips, but he wasn't trying to imitate Steven Tyler - he was owning the song just as Jeff Gutt. Well done.
 
Critiques: Demi is not blown away this time but says Jeff did a fantastic job. Paulina needs to see a band behind him for him to be more of a rocker. Simon says "I think is the first time that I believe that you believe you could win this show." Kelly says she has one word for Jeff: "Ah-maaaz-ing."
-------------------------------------------
 
Duet:  Carlito Olivero with Prince Royce
Song: "Stand By Me" by Ben E. King
 
I know very little about Prince Royce, but I now understand who Carlito has been trying to imitate for the second half of this season. I'm not a fan of this arrangement at all, regardless of who Carlito's duet partner is. I'm so relieved he only has one more performance tonight.
-------------------------------------------
 
Duet:   Alex & Sierra and Leona Lewis
Song: "Bleeding Love"
 
Where the hell has Leona Lewis been? I was a huge fan of hers when she landed in America after winning the British version of The X Factor. This song is perfect for the lovebirds to sing with Leona, but is it bad that I didn't even care that Leona was there? 
-------------------------------------------
 
Duet:    Jeff Gutt and John Rzeznik from The Goo Goo Dolls
Song:   "Iris"
 
I'm going to use a phrase that I hate...that Randy Jackson damn there put me in anger management classes with... tonight, Jeff is in it to win it. He really is. Out of the three duets, this one is the most natural and Jeff is at a point now where he just looks like a natural. There was no "Oh my God, you're here and I'm singing your song with you" vibe - just two professional musicians doing their thing.
-------------------------------------------
 
Act:     Carlito Olivero
Team: Paulina
Song: "Maria Maria" by Carlos Santana
 
That jacket. That. Jacket. It has light bulbs on it. Light bulbs. Dude is out of breath, sweating like Ruben Studdard, and I just can't do it anymore. The key changes are weird, he's more nasal-y than normal, and his confidence disappeared in this performance. If this is an encore for a song that made him destined for the finale, I am totally missing the message he is trying to deliver here.  
 
Critiques: Kelly is still proud of Carlito because he has come a long way. Demi says Carlito was on fire, calls him the underdog (because that word hasn't been used yet), and says America should vote for him. Sigh. Simon reiterates that he respects Carlito and wishes him the best of luck. Paulina talks about passion...or something.
-------------------------------------------
 
Act:     Alex & Sierra
Team: Simon
Song: "Say Something" by A Great Big World featuring Christina Aguilera
 
Thank goodness for this performance. I was getting to a point in the evening where I was starting to think "are we DONE yet?" Alex & Sierra take this encore to a whole new level though and I am so grateful. It's so haunting and emotional, and again, if these two don't win, I will be devastated.  
 
Critiques: Standing ovation. Kelly says this was better than the first time they sang it. She also says the duo deserves this moment. Demi says they always blow her away and says Alex and Sierra could win. Yes. Yes they could Demi. If you look at the rules of the show, Carlito and Jeff could also win. Paulina says the duo is talented and then seems to make up some new words. Simon thinks Alex and Sierra are exactly what a talent show needs and genuinely believes they deserve to win.
-------------------------------------------
 
Act:    Jeff Gutt
Team: Kelly
Song: "Creep" by Radiohead
 
I'm surprised that Jeff picked his audition song for the encore, but at the same time...he's come so far from his audition that it totally makes sense. He has the band with him this time (Paulina should be thrilled) and he just kills it. I haven't really rooted for this guy at all this season, and I'm still not looking for him to win, but I sincerely hope that he gets a career out of this.
 
Critiques: Demi says the performance was amazing, calling it a stadium performance. She also says America should vote for him. Palm to the forehead. Paulina....I just can't anymore. Simon thinks Jeff was brilliant tonight. Kelly calls Jeff's journey her "heart's joy" and asks the voters to give Jeff the victory.
-------------------------------------------
 
I'd be kidding myself if I said "I have no comments about Paulina' Rubio's performance tonight." She sings lip syncs "Boys Will Be Boys" and she travels the stage with boys and leather. On a positive note, this is the first time I have understood Paulina all season. She should give her critiques using pre-recorded tracks as well.
 
I've said about all I can say regarding these three acts and it's up to America now. Can Alex & Sierra win it all? Will Jeff and his too cute for words son have a life changing night tomorrow? Can The X Factor's reputation ever recover if Carlito wins? We'll find out during part two of the finale. Til then!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment