So there are many of you who loyally watch these shows and, like me, make continual comments to the television whether anyone else is in the room or not. Alternately, there are many of you who do not have the time to keep up with reality TV – there are too many shows, your tivos runneth over, you have kids and can’t remember what it’s like to watch anything beyond Dora the Explorer (you know who you are) – but you also want to be “in the know.” That’s fine. Let me help you understand.

Friday, November 15, 2013

The Voice: All of Me

 
 The Voice has successfully finalized each team and selected the Top 12 contestants for the season. Tonight they compete for a spot in the Top 10. That’s right. We have a double elimination coming this week and there is a lot on the line for these contenders. Carson looks as excited as he’s ever going to look and CeeLo looks like he just auditioned for the role of the creepy preacher in Poltergeist. All I can really do here is post a picture… just…wow. There’s a lot to look forward to this evening though, so let’s get going!
 
Artist:   Caroline Pennell
Team:    CeeLo
Song:     “Wake Me Up” by Avicii
 
This might be my favorite song on the radio right now. I may even embarrass myself fist pumping in my car at a red light. Possibly. Let me first say that the audience attempting a fast, synchronized clapping frenzy does Caroline a disservice. I think the backup singers do as well. And I don’t really like the arrangement either…but I reallllllly like the kid’s voice, and I’ve enjoyed her previous performances.  This is a tough one for me.
Coaches Say: CeeLo thinks Caroline did a wonderful job. Blake loves that Caroline did an up tempo song and notes that the studio audience has no rhythm. Thank you – I’m glad it’s not just me on that one. Adam agrees with CeeLo and Blake, and I worry that I might spend the evening bored with the coaches’ comments.
---------------------------------------------
Artist:    Josh Logan
Team:    Xtina
Song:   “Man in the Mirror” by Michael Jackson

Josh chooses to deliver a scaled back performance of this King of Pop classic. Vocally, he is wonderful, but the problem with a scaled back “Man in the Mirror” is…there has to be a definite emotional connection to the song. I didn’t feel that from him at all, but I’m sure the coaches will think this performance was fantastic.

Coaches Say: Xtina says Josh showcased soul and heart in his performance.  Adam thinks the performance was beautiful but he does want Josh to come to the front of the stage more. CeeLo tells Josh tonight’s performance was a continued success for him and Blake says Josh “let the song shine.” Uh huh.
---------------------------------------------

Artist:    James Wolpert
Team:    Adam
Song:     “Mr. Brightside” by The Killers

I can begin to describe how perfect this song is for James. This guy continues to surprise me. He hits the notes, he feels the song, he works the stage, he works the audience, and I absolutely love this performance.

Coaches Say: Adam says every single second of the performance was dynamic and controlled. He tells James he just turned into a rock star in front of our eyes. Xtina commends James on his growth and says he did a great job. CeeLo loved the staging of the performance and compliments him as an entertainer.
---------------------------------------------
 
Artist:    Austin Jenckes
Team:    Blake
Song:     “It’s a Great Day to Be Alive” by Travis Tritt

Austin is trying to expand his fan base to include country music enthusiasts and this performance is a great start. His smile and happiness are infectious. I find myself singing along and I really, really hope this guy makes it through. He’s someone I can look forward to seeing every week.

Coaches Say: Blake says Austin is always solid when he hits that stage. CeeLo thinks Austin did a great job and says Travis Tritt would be proud. Xtina tells Austin that when he sings it, she just believes it. Absolutely.
---------------------------------------------

Artist: Jacquie Lee
Team: Xtina
Song: “Love is a Blindness” by Jack White

So, Jacquie loooooooves Xtina. Loves her. And Xtina loooooves that Jacquie loooooves her. That being said, Jacquie is on a mission to be “current” this evening and wow! Get it, girl. She basically goes crazy and so far this is the best performance of the night for me. I liked this kid before, but I’m downloading her song and voting for her tonight. Hot damn!

Coaches Say: Xtina says Jacquie set the stage on fire and compliments her vocal ability and soul. Adam is a big fan of the song choice and says a crazy voice came out of her like a dragon. Yup. That came out of Adam’s mouth and I am just fine with it. CeeLo loves the way Jacquie makes her feel and says he gets lost in her performances.
---------------------------------------------

Artist:    Ray Boudreaux
Team:    Blake
Song:     “All of Me” by John Legend

Oh my. Not the song choice I was expecting for Ray but I understand that he’s trying to connect with the audience more. He’s pretty nervous about the whole thing during rehearsals, but as I watch this performance I can’t believe he doubted himself for a second. He does a great job on this song and I’m very happy for him.

Coaches Say: Blake got wrapped up in that performance and he calls Ray sexy. Heh. Xtina felt that the performance fell a little short vocally and everyone is pissssssed at her. Really? I mean, I loved the performance but I’m also ecstatic that there is an actual critique from one of the coaches.
---------------------------------------------
 
Artist:    Kat Robichaud
Team:   CeeLo
Song:     “Sail” by Awol Nation

First and foremost, Kat should have a mic stand to start every song for the rest of her life. I’m completely drawn in and the performance has barely begun. And just when I think she can’t get any more awesome…she falls backwards into the audience and continues to sing without missing a beat. Special thanks to CeeLo for bringing this woman to my television tonight. Fan. Tastic.

 
Coaches Say: CeeLo says life is painful and music can represent that pain, and Kat delivered a painful performance that was also healing. Blake calls Kat a lion, walking around as if the audience was a herd of antelopes. Ha! That’s pretty spot on. Xtina says “Kat came to playyyy todayyyy.” Yes. Yes she did.
---------------------------------------------
 
Artist:    Jonny Gray
Team:    CeeLo
Song:     “Another Day in Paradise” by Phil Collins

Jonny goes acoustic for this performance and he has a great vibe. This could easily have put me to sleep but I think he’s engaging and talented. I’m not blown away, but I can see why Jonny has made it this far in the show.

Coaches Say: CeeLo is still wearing that ridiculous hat rooting for Jonny to become a big star who writes his own music. Adam thinks there were some rhythmic issues at first but came back and finished the performance strong.
---------------------------------------------

Artist:     Tessanne Chin
Team:     Adam
Song:     “My Kind of Love” by Emili Sande

This song reminds Tessanne of her husband and during rehearsals she vows to sing it to him with every ounce of passion she has. She wasn’t lying. Even if Tessanne hadn’t mentioned her man in the pre-performance video, it still would have been clear that she feels every word of the song. Oh…and she’s a hell of a singer too. If she and Judith Hill (still bitter) could get together for a duet, my head would probably explode.

Coaches Say: Adam thinks that every time Tessanne takes the stage she gives an emotional and flawless performance. Xtina calls the performance beautiful and emotional, and then we run out of time for anyone else to speak.
---------------------------------------------

Artist:    Matthew Schuler
Team:    Xtina
Song:     “Hallelujah” by Leonard Cohen

Uh oh. See, I’m already cringing because I think Xtina should have left this song alone. The coaches and contestants performed “Hallelujah” together last year in the wake of the school shooting in Newtown…and it was so moving and special that I think the song should have been retired on The Voice. Just my opinion. In terms of how Matthew looks, sounds and performs though – the man is amazing.

Coaches Say: Xtina is emotional and says his voice is magical. Blake thinks Matthew is the frontrunner on Xtina’s team. Adam Levine tells Matthew he is very protective of “Hallelujah” but says Matthew helped preserve the legacy of the song.
---------------------------------------------

Artist:    Cole Vosbury
Team:    Blake
Song:     “Adorn” by Miguel

If I had to guess 100 possible songs Cole might sing tonight, “Adorn” wouldn’t have made the top 500. However, I absolutely love what he does here. Does he radiate the sexiness that defines Miguel? No. Do I care? Not a bit. Cole takes a bit of a risk with this performance and the result is just terrific. I’m THRILLED for him.  

Coaches Say: The coaches are thrilled for him too, giving Cole a standing ovation. Blake says every time Cole shows up on stage it’s like bringing a gun to a knife fight.
---------------------------------------------

Artist:    Will Champlin
Team:     Adam
Song:     “Demons” by Imagine Dragons
 
Will gets the pimp spot tonight, closing the show with “Demons.” As much as I love Will behind a piano or keyboard, he owns the stage tonight and he gives a worthy final performance.  This guy has a lot of passion and I think he will be around for a while.
 
Coaches Say: Adam says that if you wants to succeed in the music business, you need to love music “too much.” He thinks Will definitely has that passion. Let's hope so.
---------------------------------------------
 
And with that, the Top 12 performances are over. I think there were a number of standouts tonight, laying it all on the line (Jacquie and Kat were my faves), but who knows who America has fallen in love with? In my opinion, Caroline and Josh should be worried…and perhaps Ray as well. Each coach has the potential to lose half of their team during the elimination hour, but here’s hoping no one takes that slap in the face just yet. We’ll find out who stays and who goes in the next episode. Til then!

No comments:

Post a Comment