So there are many of you who loyally watch these shows and, like me, make continual comments to the television whether anyone else is in the room or not. Alternately, there are many of you who do not have the time to keep up with reality TV – there are too many shows, your tivos runneth over, you have kids and can’t remember what it’s like to watch anything beyond Dora the Explorer (you know who you are) – but you also want to be “in the know.” That’s fine. Let me help you understand.

Monday, November 11, 2013

The X Factor: Season 3


Ohhhh The X Factor.  This show has been through so many ups and downs and we are only in Season 3. Mario Lopez is hosting solo now (though I imagine Khloe Kardashian is still saying her name into a microphone as often as possible), and we start the year with a half-new judging panel as Britney Spears and LA Reid have peaced out. Their replacements are Kelly Rowland from Destiny’s Child and Paulina Rubio from…somewhere. So far Kelly has said all the right things a new judge should say – she’s looking for passion, someone who is hungry for their chance at superstardom, someone who “wants it.” She seems to like her job and doesn’t have any of Brit Brit’s “why am I here?” faces. I can’t tell you if Paulina has said all of the right things. I really can’t tell you what Paulina has said at all. I can tell you, however, that squinting my eyes and listening realllllly close to the TV to decipher her take on the English language is a welcome challenge compared to the weekly test of not throwing things at LA Reid whenever he spoke. I’ll take her.  

This is a do or die year for The X Factor. One more fall season of dismal ratings, with little to show in terms of success stories, could be really be the end of the U.S. version of the show. The show runners have tried to switch some things up this season. In fact, the folks who made it through the first audition never even got a second one before the groups were narrowed down. How do you like them apples? I haaated that approach for sure, but I did enjoy the new ‘four chair challenge.’ There was some definite strategy involved there and I appreciated it.

I will say that the plus this season comes from the remaining judges, Simon Cowell and Demi Lovato. For whatever reason, I am in love with Demi this year. I realize I wrote some not so nice things about her being a brat last season, and really, I stand by them. She was insufferable at times. But she has emerged a seasoned judge on this show, and I dig it. Here’s hoping that she and Simon can save The X Factor and deliver a hell of a season.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment