So there are many of you who loyally watch these shows and, like me, make continual comments to the television whether anyone else is in the room or not. Alternately, there are many of you who do not have the time to keep up with reality TV – there are too many shows, your tivos runneth over, you have kids and can’t remember what it’s like to watch anything beyond Dora the Explorer (you know who you are) – but you also want to be “in the know.” That’s fine. Let me help you understand.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

American Idol Finale: Part 1

Tonight Phillip Phillips and Jessica Sanchez have their last opportunity to compete for America’s votes to complete Season 11 of American Idol. A nice little montage of each person’s journey opens the show, and then the judges burst onto the stage all dolled up for the finale. If anyone can tell me the precise color of Randy’s blazer, I would be forever grateful.

Our Final 2 will perform three songs each this evening: Round 1 features a song choice by Idol creator Simon Fuller; Round 2 will be the contestants’ favorite song of the season; and Round 3 will be the contestants’ potential “winning song.” The judges’ comments will be held until the end of each Round. And here we go!



Contestant: Jessica Sanchez
Song: “I Have Nothing,” by Whitney Houston     

Well, I’m glad we are really going for versatility here. This is Jessica’s third Whitney song since the live shows began. Do I think she can sing the song beautifully? Sure.  Would I have liked to hear her cover an artist she has not yet covered? Absolutely. Jessica looks pretty, sounds great, and has definitely been studying JHud (No, J.Lo…I’m talking about Jennifer Hudson who sings her guts out live).



Contestant: Phillip Phillips
Song: “Stand By Me,” by Ben E. King

The bongo drums and acoustic guitar P squared joins us for this song, and he gives us a toned down performance.  I’m such a fan of this guy, and how his body language and facial expressions show his connection to each of his songs. Nicely done, but I think the judges are going to give this one to Jessica.  

Judges’ Remarks: J.Lo says this is a battle of the opposites. Yup. She does not choose a winner. Randy says Round 1 went to Jessica. I’m not sure which show Steven is watching because he doesn’t seem to realize he had the opportunity to comment.

------------------------------------

Before we can get to Round 2, Jason Derulo performs his new song, “Undefeated.” To my disappointment, he does not say his own name during the performance like he does on his other songs. He is without that awkward looking neck brace he’s had for the past few months, but he is also standing on a folding chair, so clearly he has not learned his lesson. Good song though, and I’m glad he’s 100% recovered from his injury.

------------------------------------

Contestant: Jessica Sanchez
Song:  “The Prayer,” by Andrea Boccelli and Celine Dion

Apparently the “favorite song from the season” category goes all the way back to Hollywood Week. I had to look up the performance because I honestly couldn’t recall her singing this song at all. Jessica does a wonderful job on the song, but I do wish the performances from American Idol and The Voice did not overlap so much. I actually prefer the Chris Mann and Christina Aguilera duet from a few weeks ago.  However, I absolutely rank Round 2 Jessica above Round 1 Jessica.


Contestant: Phillip Phillips
Song: “Movin’ Out,” by Billy Joel

I hate to agree with J.Lo, but this really is a battle of the opposites. How does one follow “The Prayer?” With Billy Joel of course! (Though it would be funnier if he could have sang “Only the Good Die Young”). Anyway, P squared is in full Dave Matthews mode for the first part of the song, and then his face begins to twist furiously and we know the melody is about to go out the window. For a second, I think the angry forehead vein may finally combust, but to my relief, he retains it. I prefer Round 2 Phillip to Round 1 Phillip as well, and I’m hoping Phillip wins this Round.

Judges’ Remarks: Steven joins us now, and he says “When it comes to Phillip Phillips, you don’t always have to be a good egg. Hatch or go bad. Tonight he’s hatched some.” Steven then gives Round 2 to Jessica. Randy doesn’t know what J.Lo thinks (because no one has asked her yet), but he thinks Round 2 was a tie. J.Lo gives Round 2 to Phillip, so we’ve gotten nowhere.

------------------------------------------

Contestant: Jessica Sanchez
Song: “Change Nothing”

This is more of a love song, or a love lost song I suppose. The song is just aiight for me, but I’m so relieved that the “winning song” possibilities do not resemble “Do I Make You Proud,” “No Boundaries,” or “I Love You This Big”…poor Scotty McCreery. Jessica spends the entire performance sitting on a piano, because she has to switch up the standing center stage and not moving performances back to the sitting on a piano and not moving performance. Eh.

Judges’ Remarks: Apparently the judges are not waiting until the end of Round 3. Randy did not love the song, but he loves that she has a Beyonce kind of swag. He then tells Jessica “you have urban in you.” Urban Outfitters? I don’t know what that means. J.Lo wouldn’t choose a pop ballad for Jessica’s first single. I’m pretty sure Jessica did not write this song or choose it as her potential single. Steven also did not like the song. Guess what? Jessica hates it too.



Contestant: Phillip Phillips
Song: “Home” … but not the Daughtry song.

Hmm. I have a tremendous amount of sympathy for Jessica right now. Someone clearly gave her the shaft on her song and gave Phillip the awesome one. He is able to put some “Phillip” into the song by playing his guitar, and the random marching band drummers were a nice touch. This is definitely a single worth releasing, and I am so happy for P squared.

Judges’ Remarks: Standing ovation with a ton of “Woos” from Randy. WOW. Randy loves the song, he loves Phillip, he loves the production, he loves the marching band, and he loves himself for loving all of those things. Okay, he didn’t actually say the last part, but I’m just filling in the blanks here. J.Lo says it was a Phillip Phillips song, and there is nothing on the radio that sounds like that. Steven thinks Phillip is “the man,” and says a whole lot of other things that don’t quite make sense. 
-------------------------------

Now the decision is up to America. I will be voting for Phillip Phillips this evening, but even if he does not win, I will definitely be on the lookout for his album. He has quite a career ahead of him. Strange though - the judges have fawned over Jessica as a "Joshua Jr." all season. I thought for sure they wanted her to win. I guess it was all pretend. We close tonight’s show with Season 10 winner, Scotty McCreery, performing his rendition of “Please Remember Me.”  We’ll see who he passes the torch to tomorrow. Until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment