So there are many of you who loyally watch these shows and, like me, make continual comments to the television whether anyone else is in the room or not. Alternately, there are many of you who do not have the time to keep up with reality TV – there are too many shows, your tivos runneth over, you have kids and can’t remember what it’s like to watch anything beyond Dora the Explorer (you know who you are) – but you also want to be “in the know.” That’s fine. Let me help you understand.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Voice - Welcome to the Finals!

Tonight the remaining eight contestants will be whittled down to four finalists, who will compete in next week’s live finale show. To prove how important being a finalist is, we will also welcome back last year’s final four – Vicki, Beverly, Javier and Dia, who will be performing their new singles tonight. I’m very much looking forward to seeing how far they’ve come.


Dia Frampton is up first, singing “Don’t Kick the Chair” with Kid Cudi. To drive home the whole “chair” thing, Dia sings atop a staircase that doubles as a mountain of chairs. Somewhere right now a Nickelodeon producer is planning to bring back Guts with a chair mountain replacing the final crag of doom challenge. I think my favorite part of this performance is how incredibly proud Blake looks. You can tell that he is emotionally invested in each of his contestants even though he doesn’t have all of the weepy drama other coaches have.
Results! Chris and Lindsey are center stage awaiting their fate. Xtina vows not to get emotional as Carson reveals her 50/50 scores for her two contestants. Tonight she is letting America decide. Chris Mann wins 104 to Lindsey’s 96. Congrats to him – I was hoping he would make it through.
Vicki Martinez sings her new single “Come Along” with Cee-Lo, and she has a new “don’t mess with me” look about her. I’m still a huge fan of her voice, but this song does not allow her to rock out the way I hoped it would. Still, I’m going to check out her album because I think she’s pretty awesome.
Results! We now have the nail biter between Tony and Katrina. Adam thinks that regardless of the results both will launch successful careers after this. Adam then disappoints me by splitting his percentages 60/40 in favor of Tony. He says they are both equally talented (what?), but Adam “gets” Tony more. Katrina, however, wins the “most improved” award. Ugh. Is she also Miss Congeniality, most friendly, and most likely to go back to a cubicle? Did Adam go to a local craft store and buy her an honorable mention ribbon? I love Tony dearly, but I think Katrina deserved a fair shot here. Adam also talks as if Katrina has already been eliminated, and we haven’t even seen the final scores. Make it stop! The more you talk, the less I can take. Tony beats Katrina 108 to 92, and for those of you who can do math, you know Katrina would have been the finalist without Adam’s 60/40. Unfortunately, I don't know that I can remain a Team Adam fan.

Beverly McClellen takes the stage now to sing “Money Changes Everything.” She is joined by Cyndi Lauper, and boy do I love Cyndi Lauper. I never have any idea how she is going to look or sound, and that’s just fun for me. I’m not entirely sure that I heard any lyrics clearly beyond “money changes everything,” but Beverly and Cyndi both shake their heads a lot while they are singing loudly, and I’m honestly entertained. Crazy. Hot. Mess. Maybe you had to be there?
When we return from commercial, Season 1 champion Javier Colon performs his new single “A Drop in the Ocean.” It’s nice to see that he still wears a crooked baseball cap. I still think Pip abandoned the bow tie too quickly… Anyway, this is probably the best performance from the Season 1 finalists tonight. I don't know that he has had much success he’s had in the past year, but maybe this new album will get things going for him.
Results! Jermaine and Erin are up now, and Blake lets them both know how much he respects both of them. This must be why he gave them a 50/50 vote, leaving the decision up to America. America overwhelmingly chooses Jermaine, and now I need to pull for Juliet and root for Team Cee-Lo.
Results! Did I mention I’m rooting for Juliet? She and Jamar stand together hanging on every word from their coach. Cee-Lo states that he has the best contestants on this show. He’s not exaggerating too much in my opinion. He gives Juliet the 60/40 edge and both contestants actually look devastated. He says he based his score on last night’s performances alone, saying Juliet was the clear victor. That’s a better rationale for me than Adam’s “I connect with Tony more, but you’ve really improved.” However, it wouldn’t have made a difference if Cee-Lo had done a 50/50 or even a 60/40 in Jamar’s favor, because Juliet wins by a large margin of votes.
Well, there you have it. Next week Chris, Jermaine, Tony and Juliet duke it out for the title, and we’ll see if Justin Bieber makes good on his promise to sing “Boyfriend” at the finale. I can’t believe I just typed that.

Until next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment