So there are many of you who loyally watch these shows and, like me, make continual comments to the television whether anyone else is in the room or not. Alternately, there are many of you who do not have the time to keep up with reality TV – there are too many shows, your tivos runneth over, you have kids and can’t remember what it’s like to watch anything beyond Dora the Explorer (you know who you are) – but you also want to be “in the know.” That’s fine. Let me help you understand.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Voice Finale: Part 1

Carson Daly welcomes us to the show, and he looks the happiest I've seen him since the days he used to hit on Xtina during TRL. Tonight the final four will perform solo as well as with their coaches, and America’s votes will decide who wins it all. Carson also teases a third performance which will be a surprise. Will they all sing one of Xtina song at Xtina’s behest? Will she storm the stage with a microphone to one up them? I’m anxious to find out.


Team Blake Contestant: Jermaine Paul
Song: “I Believe I Can Fly,” by R. Kelly

Oh how I loved Space Jam. I know I am almost completely alone here, because that movie was just awful, but the Looney Tunes will always make me smile. Anyway, Jermaine gives us a pretty good replica of R. Kelly’s version, complete with the choir. I keep thinking about Jermaine singing “Open Arms” last week with his arms completely open the whole time. So…if he suddenly soars through the air at the end of this song, I promise I will spend the rest of my night voting for him. Instead, he closes the song better than R. Kelly did, and I'm impressed. Nicely done.

Coaches Say: Standing ovation. Xtina says the performance was amazing and classy. Cee-Lo is wearing a shirt that says “No Problems.” Interesting. He thinks Jermaine had the perfect song choice, and he calls Jermaine a “handsome man with a beautiful voice.” Blake’s heart is in his throat, and he feels that even though he is a coach, he learns more from Jermaine than Jermaine learns from him. Aw.
------------------------------------------

Team Cee-Lo: Juliet Simms
Song: “Crazy,” by Gnarles Barkley

The surprise third performance this evening is each contestant taking on a song by one of their coaches. Hey – I was close. I hope Chris Mann sings “Candyman.” Back on track...I was honestly never crazy about “Crazy” (see what I did there?) but I will be downloading Juliet’s version this evening. Fantastic.
------------------------------------------

Xtina and Chris Mann
Song: “The Prayer,” by Celine Dion and Andrea Bocelli

Xtina and Chris sing in a church setting on a slowly revolving altar. Now, I’ve made a lot of comments this season regarding Xtina’s tendency to be a diva – the queen of divas even, but this is so amazing. She sings with Chris, not over him, and the result is gorgeous. As silly as I feel, I give them a standing ovation from my living room. I’m incredibly proud of both of them.
----------------------------------------------

Team Adam Contestant: Tony Lucca
Song: “99 Problems,” by Jay-Z…wait. WHAT?

My mind is completely blown. What on earth is going on here? Let's get one thing straight – I am laughing in sheer disbelief that this is happening, but I also love that this is happening. Unfortunately the originality and awesomeness of this arrangement is overshadowed by the fact that this is a family show, so we’re not sure what “aint” one of Tony’s problems.

Coaches Say: Blake also didn’t hear that key word from “99 Problems,” so he is confused, but he thinks it was a really cool version of the song. Xtina is not a fan of the lyrical content…though I’d like to point out that she considers herself dirty with several ‘R’s. She must just hate Tony. That’s all I can come up with. Cee-Lo likes it because it was hard. Strange that he is not wearing that kitty t-shirt this week. Adam claims that the content of the song is not derogatory toward women, because Tony’s version is all about life not getting you down. Right. Except for the fact that the repetitive lyric he had to omit was “bitch” and the song references girl problems. But I guess it’s all good, because Adam is wearing glittery “Team Xtina” shirt under his flannel...
------------------------------------------------

Team Xtina Contestant: Chris Mann
Song: “The Voice Within,” by Xtina

Chris is adorable. Behind him, a hand written thank you note to Xtina scrolls on the screen while he serenades his coach. The letter is timed perfectly, ending just as the song ends. Chris is very into the song, moved by his own voice, and clearly grateful for Xtina taking a chance on him. This was well done, but I found their earlier duet to be more touching.
---------------------------------------------

Cee-Lo and Juliet Simms
Song: “Born to be Wild,” by Steppenwolf

I know what you’re thinking, but why wouldn’t Cee-Lo be mounted on a motorcycle when the song opens? This seems like a fun rendition – one of those “had to be there” to really appreciate it type of things. However, I will never criticize a performance that includes cage dancers.
----------------------------------------

Adam and Tony Lucca
Song: “Yesterday,” by The Beatles

This is a very subtle, very intimate performance from the two of them. It almost reminds me of Simon & Garfunkel a bit because their voices complement each other so well. I smell a tour! In all seriousness though, I really love this.
------------------------------------

Team Blake Contestant: Jermaine Paul
Song: “God Gave Me You,” by Blake Shelton

I’m so glad Jermaine does not go crazy with the song and sticks to the melody for the most part. This is one of my favorite Blake tunes, and Jermaine’s rendition is a great tribute to his coach. Again, one of my favorite parts of The Voice is seeing Blake’s pride for his contestants, and he is so proud of Jermaine here.

----------------------------------------
Team Xtina Contestant: Chris Mann
Song: “You Raise Me Up,” by Josh Groban

When he begins, I worry this will be a carbon copy of Josh Groban’s version. There have been many comparisons made the last few weeks, so I really hope Chris stands on his own here. Thank goodness I have nothing to fret about. I have to say that he is the most improved contestant on this show. His emotions get the best of him at the end of the song, but he is incredibly genuine, and I hope he doesn’t fade away after the show is over. I also hope he does not return next year with Cyndi Lauper as a duet partner (scary!).

Coaches Say: Cee-Lo thinks Chris is “so completely cool.” Xtina is very emotional at this point, and she is very moved by his performances. I’m right there with her, but then she goes off on a tangent. See, Xtina is sick, and when she was singing earlier, she didn’t feel well, but Chris comforted her. Soooo, did she not think she performed well? I’m not sure why else this would come up.
------------------------------------------

Blake and Jermaine Paul
Song: “Soul Man,” by Sam & Dave

You know, I didn’t think these two could sing a duet together that would blend well, but Blake surprises the hell out me here by hanging with Jermaine’s voice. The band and brass section is also a really nice touch. I’m entertained. This is probably my favorite Jermaine performance tonight.
-----------------------------------------------

Team Adam Contestant: Tony Lucca
Song: “Harder to Breathe,” by Maroon Five

Tony does not switch up the arrangement to this song like he has done with his other songs. I’m good with that choice – he does a great job with the performance. I would watch Tony sing solo with a guitar as a full time job if I could. I think his duet with Adam was my favorite performance of his tonight, but this isn’t a bad way for him to end the evening at all.
----------------------------------------------

Team Cee-Lo Contestant: Juliet Simms
Song: “Freebird,” by Lynyrd Skynyrd

Cee-Lo definitely dressed Juliet this evening, but I don’t care. She makes singing look so easy, and she is an AMAZING talent. I think she is supposed to be standing a bit more on top of the wind gust in order for her cape-y thing to go nuts, but it works anyway. This. Is. Awesome. How can I not root for her?

Coaches Say: Adam says no one sings like Juliet. Xtina loves the song, loves Juliet, loves her outfit, and then reminds us that she is sick. Cee-Lo says “With Juliet on my team, I have no problems.” Ohhhhhh snap! See how he worked in the shirt he’s wearing? I can appreciate that sense of humor.
-------------------------------------------------

Honestly, all of these finalists seem to have a pretty good fan base, and I think this could be anybody’s title to win at this point. Carson says tomorrow's finale will be “the biggest night of the season.” I really hope that was not on the teleprompter. Until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment