So there are many of you who loyally watch these shows and, like me, make continual comments to the television whether anyone else is in the room or not. Alternately, there are many of you who do not have the time to keep up with reality TV – there are too many shows, your tivos runneth over, you have kids and can’t remember what it’s like to watch anything beyond Dora the Explorer (you know who you are) – but you also want to be “in the know.” That’s fine. Let me help you understand.

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Voice: We Have A Winner!

Welcome to the Season 2 Finale of The Voice! Tonight we will find out who wins the recording contract and the title. Unfortunately we will not find out how many times Carson said “we got Flo Rida in the house” during rehearsals. I have to rewind the Tivo twice to make sure Bill Nye, The Science Guy isn’t hosting the show this evening.

After we recap last night’s performances (as well as several performances this season – did this show need to be 2 hours?), Jermaine is joined by Pip, Jamar Rogers and James Massone on stage for a rendition of “I Want You Back,” by The Jackson 5. Oddly enough, James sings above a whisper, and this is the first time I’ve enjoyed him all season. However, Jamar dominates this performance even though the spotlight is supposed to be on Jermaine.
Remember how last year the finalists were paired with a current artist for the finale show? The most memorable for me (but not for good reasons) was Beverly and One Republic. But if I had 200 guesses for Juliet Simms' duet partner, Flo Rida would not have been among them. I also don’t believe that any of her future tours will find her flanked by Flo Rida’s hoes. We don’t love dem hoes... Anyway, Juliet doesn’t seem as out of place as I thought she would, and she does her best with the songs she’s been given. I wish she had been paired with someone else though.
When we return from commercial Chris Mann sings The Verve’s “Bittersweet Symphony” with Katrina Parker and….Lindsey Pavao. Really? She fits into this trio how? Who thought this was a good idea? Chris starts off a little awkwardly, and then Lindsey jumps in. If I didn’t already know the lyrics to this song (thank you, Cruel Intentions), I would have no idea what she’s singing. I’m filled with a deep sense of gratitude when Katrina takes the stage to sing this song with authority. She’s only been out of the competition a week, but I have missed her dearly.
Chris has to do a lightning fast wardrobe change as he, Jermaine, and Tony perform with Hall & Oates. The best part about this for me is the fact that the three guys are set up as backup singers….which is what Jermaine has been complaining about being all season.
Naia Kette, Kim Yarbrough, Cheesa, and Sera Hill take on Stevie Wonder’s “Superstition” after another break, and I have to say that they complement one another very well. Perhaps they should form a girl group. Seriously. Knowing that The X Factor groups received more TV time than these ladies hurts me a little.
For Juliet’s final performance before the results are revealed, she sings “With a Little Help From My Friends” with Erin Willett, Jamar Rodgers and RaeLynn (just RaeLynn). This is actually really good. Erin is another one who hasn’t been gone long, but it’s so nice to hear her wail on this song. Balloons fall on the stage at the end of the song as the four singers embrace one another. Cee-Lo, who is wearing an adorable t-shirt that lists his entire team for the season, gives them a standing ovation.
I refuse to talk about the segment regarding Cee-Lo’s cat, so we move on now to Lady Antebellum as they perform “Wanted You More.” In my perfect celebrity world, Charles Kelley and Hillary Scott are happily married. I just love them singing together. The song is pretty, but it’s a quarter after 10, I’m all alone, and I need the results.

For Tony’s final performance of the season, he’s chosen “Go Your Own Way,” by Fleetwood Mac. He chooses Jordis to duet with him, and this is a perfect combo. If Tony wins this thing or releases an album because of the show, I sincerely hope he includes a collaboration with Jordis.
After another commercial break, Justin Bieber performs “Boyfriend.”I believe I have recapped that sufficiently. I won’t let you pull me in…
RESULTS! Each of the finalists talk about what this competition has meant to them, how much winning would change their lives, etc. and then we finally get to it. Coming in fourth….Chris Mann. Xtina joins him on stage immediately, and it seems she has forgotten her pants. Coming in third….Tony Lucca. Adam runs to the stage to support him, and he is fully clothed. We are down to Juliet and Jermaine. Juliet’s tears are KILLING me right now. Jermaine wins… and I was absolutely rooting for Juliet. Jermaine paces the stage in shock and then thanks everybody he knows, including Jesus. He closes the show singing “I Believe I Can Fly.”

There you have it – Season 2 of The Voice is over, but I really enjoyed watching and recapping. It’s always hard to wait a year before the excitement starts again. I’m greatly looking forward to ABC’s Duets on the horizon as well as the always enjoyable So You Think You Can Dance. Keep reading!

1 comment:

  1. Totally with you on Juliet almost being a shoe-in to win. Very happy for Jermaine, but sincerely hope he's NOT going to go the way of the previous Voice winner. Somebody, write this man some songs. All in all, Juliet should be fine, just as Tony Lucca will be because of his true bro-mance with Adam. The one I am worried about is Chris Mann. Maybe someone should write him an epic kind of song or pair him up with a singing partner, who doesn't have the diva-ish need to show off. I've even settle for someone with pants. :)

    ReplyDelete