So there are many of you who loyally watch these shows and, like me, make continual comments to the television whether anyone else is in the room or not. Alternately, there are many of you who do not have the time to keep up with reality TV – there are too many shows, your tivos runneth over, you have kids and can’t remember what it’s like to watch anything beyond Dora the Explorer (you know who you are) – but you also want to be “in the know.” That’s fine. Let me help you understand.

Friday, May 25, 2012

Duets Premiere - How Awesome Is This Show?

ABC's Duets opens with the four coaches/judges/competitors, whatever we’re calling them, taking the stage together with a rendition of  "Let Me Entertain You" complete with pretty amazing backup dancers and marching band drummers. See? I’m already ridiculously excited. They look great, they sound great, and I want them to just keep singing. Oh, and please tell me why Robin Thicke just exudes sexiness. What’s his secret?

Our host Quddus, not to be confused with Quidditch, arrives to tell us how the show will work. The amateur contestants will perform each week with one of the awesome individuals we just saw on stage (I know – I need to tone it down), and the newbies are vying for a recording contract with Hollywood Records. We then get a glimpse of the selection process for each “team” before the amateurs perform songs by the Superstars with the Superstars (that seems to be the official name now). There will also be a scoring system. This is a whole lot of information – let’s get this show on the road!


Jennifer Nettles had a tough time choosing between the talent she encountered during auditions, but she chooses J Rome as her first duet partner. They perform “Tonight,” and Jennifer was right on the money when she said this guy has soul. I know they’re supposed to be building chemistry, and they seem to be having a great time together, but I wish they’d play a little more to the audience as well. It takes til the very end of the song for them to split off from looking at one another. Still – a good start to the duets.

Other Superstar Say: Okay, the scoring works as follows – the Superstars that did not perform will rank the duet on a scale of 1 to 100 with performance and presentation categories. Kelly speaks first (yay!), saying that she wasn’t sure how J Rome and Jennifer would blend, but “soulful music rings clear in any genre.” Robin says J Rome is handsome with a great voice. John thinks J Rome looks and sounds like a star. When we look at the “Duets Chart” which will rank the contestants, J Rome is first, because….well, no one else has performed yet.
--------------------------

John Legend had a bit of a late start with this process as Lionel Richie was originally slated for this show. He finds a partner he likes in Johnny Gray though, and they take the stage now to sing “Ordinary People.” I wish John Legend could wail on the piano for every contestants’ performance on this show. He’s just mesmerizing. His tribute to Whitney Houston at the Billboard Music Awards the other night was very touching. As for Johnny Gray, he is definitely holding his own on this song. He’s worked up quite a sweat, but he’s pretty darn good.

Other Superstars Say: Robin says Johnny has the exact same emotional connection to the lyrics as Mr. Legend does. Kelly uses the phrase “too cool for school,” and I grin. Jennifer says Johnny has “a beautiful low end that just makes it warm like honey.” Wait, what? Jennifer is going to be a lot of fun to write about this season. We go to the chart, and Johnny did not beat out J Rome. It’s okay though – because no one is going home this week apparently.
-----------------------------

Robin Thicke is looking for a soulful duet partner who has their own style. He chooses Olivia Chisholm, and they sing “Lost Without You.” She is one lucky lady – there is so much heat going on during their performance I have to fan myself as I mutter “wish I knew how to sing.”

Other Superstars Say: John thinks Olivia sounds a bit like Aaliyah with a subtle, sexy approach. Jennifer says Olivia’s voice is so authentic in this genre. Kelly would give her left leg to look like Olivia. I would give both of my legs and any other necessary limbs and to look like Kelly. I don’t know what she’s thinking. We go to the chart, and Olivia is third.
-------------------------------

Kelly Clarkson has been on the road for most of 2012. I may have seen her live twice so far this year. I may have tickets to see her at least two more times this year. I may have met her in April. So, it’s safe to say that I’m looking forward to her duets the most. The first partner she chooses is Jason Farol and I already love him. Seeing how emotional he got while performing with Kelly at her concert did me in. They perform “Breaking Your Own Heart” now, a song from her newest album that has not been released as a single. Jason is definitely nervous, but he has too good a voice to be insecure. I’m so glad she picked him.

Other Superstars Say: Jennifer says Jason lights up the room. Robin thinks Jason is adorable. John loves how much Jason loves being here. We go to the chart, and Jason is fourth. The crowd does not sound pleased. I’m not either.
---------------------------------

John Legend’s second duet partner is Bridget Carrington and they perform “Tonight (Best You Ever Had). John steps out from behind the piano and they give Robin and Olivia a run for their money in the chemistry department. I think I like Bridget’s voice better that Olivia’s, but it’s still pretty early to be sure.

Other Superstars Say: Robin says the song makes him want to go to the club. Kelly chimes in saying the song makes her want to call her man. Oh snap! Jennifer says the song makes her want to go home after the club (she was trying to combine Robin’s comment with Kelly’s and I’m going to give her an “A” for effort). We go to the chart, and Bridget comes in above Jason. Hmm.
----------------------------------

Jennifer Nettles picks from her home town to find her next duet partner, John Glosson. His audition of “How Great That Art” breaks her, which breaks me. They perform “Stay” and I think Jennifer has more of a connection with John that J Rome. John is incredibly talented, and I think a ton of the viewers will be pulling for him. Hurts me a little to say this….but this is probably the best performance so far.

Other Superstars Say: Kelly is very moved by the performance and tells John he sings like an angel. John (Legend) says the two blended very well together. Robin calls Jennifer a beast, but I think he means it as a compliment. He says John held his own. We go to the chart, and John has taken the 3 spot.
-----------------------------------

Robin Thicke searched for a gospel singer to be his second duet partner and he finds one in Alexis Foster. Their duet is “Magic” (see what I did there?), and I think he chose the right person out of the others from the audition. I’m not confident about Alexis’ heels, but I am confident about her voice. Well done.

Other Superstars Say: Kelly tells Alexis her voice is beautiful. John likes that Alexis’ voice is crystal clear. Jennifer thought the performance was fantastic. We go to the chart, and Alexis takes the 3 spot right out from under John.
---------------------------------------

Kelly Clarkson is looking for more of a Trisha Yearwood type voice for her next partner and she had two pretty awesome voices to choose from. She goes with Jordan Meredith, and I’m thrilled for Jordan because she is such a Kelly fan. I go back to muttering “wish I knew how to sing” under my breath though. So jealous. They are taking on “Stronger,” and…Kelly’s energy is just amazing isn’t it? I’m dancing in my seat….back to Jordan. I think she sounds great. I was almost expecting her to freak out, but she keeps it together and I’m proud of her.

Other Superstars Say: John says Kelly is one of the best singers in the world, which is absolutely true. He says Jordin’s tone compliments Kelly’s. Jennifer thought they blended so well together that she a hard time hearing who was lead and who was harmony. Robin likes her smile, her hair, and her voice, so all around good reviews. We go to the chart after the commercial break and Jordin is…7th? WHAT? So both of Kelly’s contestants are the bottom 2? I call shenanigans! Kelly does too.
----------------------------------------

As Quddus mentioned earlier, no one is eliminated tonight. The ranking confuses me. Did the Superstars just rank J Rome way higher because he went first? I definitely do not think he was better than several of the other competitors. And what I really want to know is – when does America get to vote? There will be no more of this “Kelly’s contestants are in the bottom” nonsense once that happens. The next episode will air next Thursday. Til then!

1 comment:

  1. I will only be able to think of Quiddus as Quidditch from now on.

    I'm still trying to recover from not having Lionel Richie on the show, but at least there's still Kelly!

    ReplyDelete