So there are many of you who loyally watch these shows and, like me, make continual comments to the television whether anyone else is in the room or not. Alternately, there are many of you who do not have the time to keep up with reality TV – there are too many shows, your tivos runneth over, you have kids and can’t remember what it’s like to watch anything beyond Dora the Explorer (you know who you are) – but you also want to be “in the know.” That’s fine. Let me help you understand.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The Voice: Semifinals

Before we can even get to the performances, we first have to pause and make a confused face at Xtina’s tiara, as well as Cee-Lo’s "cat in the shape of a heart" shirt. He must have a deep love for felines? Moving on - the remaining 8 contestants will sing for America's votes tonight, and only one contestant from each team will move on to the finals next week. The judges have the opportunity to rank their contestants as well, and their percentages will be combined with America's votes.


Team Adam Contestant: Tony Lucca
Song: “How You Like Me Now?” by The Heavy
I’m initially distracted by the two…we’ll just call them women… on either side of Tony, but then when he breaks free of them and essentially goes crazy with the song, I’m incredibly happy. His "I'm singing so passionately I look angry" face troubles me at times, but he's dancing, strutting, and owning this song.

Coaches Say:  Blake doesn’t know that song, but he thinks it was a bad ass performance. Xtina needs everyone to know that she cleared that song for Moses at the beginning of the season. Thanks. Where's Moses now? She likes the performance though, calling it “slick.” Adam thinks this was the perfect thing at the perfect moment.
----------------------------

Team Blake Contestant: Erin Willett
Song: “Without You,” by Usher

The audience wears glowing red rings to assist them in the cheesy arm sways. Erin sounds good, though with a ballad she is much less feisty. She is emotional at the end, most likely connecting the recent loss of her father to the song lyrics, so no one can say she is not connected to her songs. Erin has quite a voice, no doubt about it, but I prefer her other performances to this one. Maybe it’s just the song choice. Maybe I just really loved the way she sang "Proud Mary" during Team Blake's elmination episode.
Coaches Say: Xtina thinks she was unique and original and loves her emotions. Cee-Lo says she sang it beautiful. Blake tells Erin she looks beautiful, and he would give anything to have a tenth of the talent she has. That's high praise coming from someone who is so successful.
-----------------------------

Team Xtina Contestant: Chris Mann
Song: “Ave Maria”
Chris returns to his opera style for this performance, and he keeps it simple. He stands center stage at a mic stand with a row of candles on each side, and he just projects an amazing rendition of the song. Will America connect with Chris? I don’t know. But this is just beautiful.

Coaches Say: Cee-Lo calls his voice perfect and says it was a stellar performance. Adam says the performance was classy and simple and incredible to see. Xtina felt the heavens open just now. Well, if that had actually happened God would have ripped the tiara off her head. She notes that none of the other contestants could get up there and sing that song.
---------------------------------
Team Cee-Lo Contestant: Jamar Rodgers
Song: “If You Don’t Know Me By Now,” by Simply Red

Jamar chooses to keep it simple here too, which I’m okay with. It was time for him to show his softer side without the props, backup dancers, etc. I like this version. He’s not my favorite, as I am pulling for Juliet to represent Team Cee-Lo in the finals, but he is talented and I hope good things happen for him after the show is over.

Coaches Say: Adam is purely a fan of Jamar’s. Blake appreciates that Jamar gave a laid back performance. Xtina pulls a "look what I can do" and sings the notes that Jamar just sang. He should take that as a compliment? Cee-Lo thinks the story of Jamar’s life will be a best seller because it’s a success story.
-------------------------------

Team Adam and Team Cee-Lo perform The Killers' “All These Things That I’ve Done.” Apparently we have super group performances this season. Does this mean Team Blake and Team Xtina will perform together as well? I hope there are male strippers.  The coaches do not perform with their contestants, which is okay. All four semifinalists shine in with this song. Nicely done.
------------------------------
Team Blake Contestant: Jermaine Paul
Song: “Open Arms,” by Journey

If Randy Jackson is watching this show at home, he just said aloud "you know, I used to play guitar for Journey." Jermaine makes sure to open his arms a lot while he is singing. I don’t think that makes him connected to the song unfortunately. This is just okay for me - I'm pulling for Erin to make it through.
Coaches Say: Xtina thinks he is a crazy talented vocalist. Cee-Lo thinks it was a wonderful performance. Adam congratulates Jermaine on not being a backup singer, because Adam had always seen him that way. I guess this means you're sorry? Blake thinks Jermaine is the guy to beat. I don’t agree with that at all.
------------------------------
Team Adam Contestant: Katrina Parker
Song: "Killing Me Softly," by Roberta Flack
Katrina sounds great in every performance. Other artists have given us more soulful renditions of this song, but she is on point here. The camera cuts to Xtina singing in her chair, and I have to wonder if she will do the same thing with Katrina’s “critique” that she did with Jamar’s.

Coaches Say: Blake thinks her voice is so seasoned even though she was working from a cubicle not too long ago. Xtina has fallen in love with Katrina, and she wishes she had been able to coach Katrina on this song. Xtina is also a huge Lauryn Hill fan. She asks Adam to take a good look at Katrina and not go with the obvious choice in Tony in his scores tonight. Does Xtina just think there's no room in the showbiz world for another successful Mouseketeer? Cee-Lo notes how amazing Roberta Flack’s rendition was (thank you for referencing the original artist), but he enjoyed the performance. Adam likes that she stayed faithful to the arrangement of the song while still being Katrina.
-------------------------------

Blake sings his new song "Over." I do like the song, but I'm always going to have "Some Beach" in my head when I see him with a microphone. Great song - look it up if you don't remember it.
-------------------------

Team Xtina Contestant: Lindsay Pavao
Song: "Skinny Love," by Bon Iver
I'm going to try to be fair to Lindsay even though I am still bitter about Ashley De La Rosa's elimination last week. Xtina finally makes a smart move here giving Lindsay a guitar and just having her sing. She doesn’t overdo it, she sticks to her own style, and it might be my favorite performance of hers. Granted I don’t understand a lot of what she is singing (enunciation?) but I prefer the scaled back vibe for sure.

Coaches Say: Cee-Lo is more into big love than skinny love, but he thinks she did a great job. Adam loves that everyone left in the competition is unique. Blake gives Xtina credit for taking her contestants back to why we liked them to begin with. Oh Blake, you know she is going to run with this compliment. Xtina loves Lindsay and loves the setup she gave Lindsay. Yup.
--------------------------------
Team Xtina and Team Blake sing “Edge of Glory.” I LOVE this song. LOVE it...more than the average person should. However, I don't love this version. Jermaine and Erin are the most at home here. Chris gets an “A” for effort, but Lindsay goes back to annoying me again. Also, there are no male strippers.
-------------------------------

Team Cee-Lo Contestant: Juliet Simms
Song: “This is a Man’s, Man's, Man's World”
I love this girl. I know Cee-Lo is a big supporter of Jamar’s story, but man, how can you not take Juliet to the finals? She holds nothing back in each performance, and she was meant to do this. Fantastic.

Coaches Say: Adam  says “that was something special.” Juliet is one of his favorites and she is the one to beat. Xtina realizes it's been a few minutes since the focus was on her, so she notes that Juliet takes her back to the time she sang this song at the Grammys. Compliment? Cee-Lo says she both killed it and murdered it.
-------------------------------

So tomorrow we find out who moves on the finals, and I am far more excited about this finale than I was last year (was pulling for Vicki, even downloaded her original song, knew Javier would win, and we haven't heard a peep from her since).  I'm pulling for Juliet, Erin, and Chris to make it through, and I am honestly torn between Tony and Katrina. I've declared my undying love for Tony all season, but I would not be resentful if Katrina made it through. We'll see what happens on the live results show tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment