So there are many of you who loyally watch these shows and, like me, make continual comments to the television whether anyone else is in the room or not. Alternately, there are many of you who do not have the time to keep up with reality TV – there are too many shows, your tivos runneth over, you have kids and can’t remember what it’s like to watch anything beyond Dora the Explorer (you know who you are) – but you also want to be “in the know.” That’s fine. Let me help you understand.

Thursday, November 8, 2012

The X Factor: Your Top...13?

Mario Lopez and a very covered up Khloe Kardashian (thank you, FOX) take the stage to give us a big surprise. Nope, it's not new hosts. The judges have decided to ask one act back to compete again like they did with Melano Amaro last year, and that act is Diamond White. Really? I mean, I like her, but I didn’t think it was a travesty when she was eliminated. I guess Britney gets what she wants. Our illustrious hosts also inform us that our theme this week is “songs from the movies.” Mario calls Britney "goddess of the silver screen," which I guess is a title one earns from appearing in Crossroads, and Khloe is just all sorts of excited. I suddenly yearn for Nicole Sherzinger.


Act: Arin Ray
Team: Britney
Song: “American Boy” by Estelle

Arin is doing a lot of dancing and hip thrusting which alarms me a little. His performance is worlds better than last week, and he sounds really good. Now I understand the potential Britney sees in him. She was right to keep him around.

Judges Say: LA notes a huge difference between last year and this year. Demi thinks Arin was more smooth this week and tells him he looks like a star (seems like there’s a lot of that going around). Simon compliments Britney on her coaching.  Britney says Arin “owned it and rocked it.” Good for Arin.
------------------------------

Act: Paige Thomas
Team: Demi
Song: “Take My Breath Away” by Berlin

Paige starts the song in the air with a wind machine blowing her dress up, and I worry for her. Then I try to overlook the staging and the scenery and the props and the backup dancer and really start to focus on her voice, and I LOVE it. This is also worlds better than last week.
 

Judges Say: LA says the performance was good but he was not blown away (ha – she almost was). Britney thinks the opening was the best part. Simon says there was too much going on onstage and it should have been more of a dance track. Demi is unnecessarily sassy with Simon and tells Paige she is amazing.
-------------------------------

Act: Vino Alan
Team: LA
Song: “When a Man Loves a Woman” by  

I’m so glad Vino returns to the soul singing this week. He stands on a dark stage with just a mic stand and piano and sings the hell out of the song. Vino feels every lyric, and I am a huge fan of the performance. This is the Vino we know and love - welcome back, man.

Judges Say: Britney says the performance showed off how unique his voice is. Demi is concerned that he can’t be a number 1 artist or a pop star. What is her problem with him?!? She said something very similar last week. Who says he has to be a pop star?. Simon believes Vino went from zero to hero in one week and says Demi said a stupid thing just now. HA!!! She’s so pissed. LA says Vino nailed it.
------------------------------------

Act: Emblem3
Team: Simon
Song: Mashup of “My Girl” and “California Girls”

Truthfully, if I were still in high school, I would probably be looking for posters of these guys to put up on my walls right now. They're kind of a more stuck-up version of the boy bands I grew up listening to, but I know they will have a following. I'm generally okay with their performance, and the mashup was actually entertaining.  

Judges Say: LA really wants to be critical but he can’t because the guys are “perfect.” Britney was blown away (at least someone is experiencing that this evening) by their ability to make the songs theirs. Demi is back to being a brat. Moving on. Simon says the group did an outstanding job.
------------------------------------

Act: Beatrice Miller
Team: Britney
Song: “Iris” by The Goo Goo Dolls

Beatrice has struggled with scratchy vocals this week during rehearsals, and I worry less about her vocals than her outfit. Come on, Brit – go easy on the kid. Beatrice is laying it all on the table tonight, but there are some pitch problems. I’m still a big fan though because I greatly enjoy how unique her voice and how emotionally invested she is in her songs...especially for a youngster.

Judges Say: LA says the tone of her voice sounds like a hit record. Demi admires the way Beatrice pours her soul into the songs. Simon says Beatrice is a great performer and he could see her having a future. Britney tells Beatrice she is special.
------------------------------------

Act: Jennel Garcia
Team: Demi
Song: “I Love Rock and Roll” by Joan Jett and The Blackhearts

Remember when Britney covered this song? After this performance, it’s going to be tough. Jennel rocks out, man, and she is entirely believable as a rock star. Great performance.

Judges Say: LA didn’t see any originality. Britney says the performance was “hot, hot, hot.” Simon does not like what Demi has done to Jennel’s image, and he tells Jennel to challenge herself more. He says this as Demi interrupts every other word. She’s starting to piss me off.
----------------------------------------

Act: Tate Stevens
Team: LA
Song: "Wanted Dead or Alive” by Bon Jovi

Have I mentioned how much I love this guy? He doesn't quite have the whole stage presence/confidence thing down (except for when he chants "I'm a cowboy - on a steel horse I ride"), but he's so endearing, and his voice is fit for any country music radio station right now.

Judges Say: Britney says he is a true cowboy (hence the song) and he nailed it. Demi thinks he has what it takes… to do what? Oh, she thinks he looks like a pop star. Not sure that's what he is going for, kid. I think I just heard Vino trashing a dressing room back stage. Simon believes tonight Tate has arrived back in this competition. LA says he hopes America votes for him.  
------------------------------------

Act: Lyric 145
Team: Simon
Song: "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" from Mary Poppins

WHAAAAAAAT?!?! No. Freaking. Way. These guys are like The Black Eyed Peas on crack if that is even possible. I think this is a mess, but I am probably in the minority. I truly hope Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke do not own televisions.  
 
 
 
Judges Say: LA says he completely hated it, but it was really good. And here we go. Britney thinks the performance was very entertaining. Demi says they nailed it. Simon tells the group they were "bloody fantastic."
-------------------------------------

Act: Diamond White
Team: Britney
Song: “I Have Nothing” by Whitney Houston

Am I the only person who thinks this is incredibly ambitious for someone who has already been eliminated once? Diamond has some definite pitch problems here, but look! There are diamonds falling on the screens behind her. Shiny objects! See what they did there? What vocal?

Judges Say: LA liked the performance. Demi is emotional because she is still a big fan of Whitney Houston. Why wouldn’t you still be a fan? Simon calls it a great vocal and great performance (he heard something I did not). Britney says Whitney would be proud. WHOA. Let's NOT make that assumption, okay? 
---------------------------------------

Act: CeCe Fray
Team: Demi
Song: “Eye of the Tiger” by Survivor

I appreciate that leopard face CeCe is back, but I am still not a fan of the new hair. I'm also not sure what she has on, but I am going to try to move past it. This song is in my top 5 favorites ever (don't judge), and it is hard to be impartial here. Regardless, the song does not show off CeCe's vocal ability at all.  If Demi chose it, she chose poorly.

Judges Say: LA thinks the ending was really strong, but he wasn’t blown away...again. Thanks for that. Britney says CeCe is a little rebel and she brought fire tonight (there was fire onstage). Simon tells her the song choice was horrible with no imagination, which is met by another Demi hissy fit. Demi says CeCe has come very far. See, I think she might be regressing.
--------------------------------------------

Act: Carly Rose Sinclair
Team: Britney
Song: “It Will Rain” by Bruno Mars

Carly does a complete 180 this week with no big staging or back up dancers. We just have her vocal, and that is all we need. This kid is SO good. She’s emotional at the end of the performance, but I’m just fine with that. It's about time someone had a "moment" on this show.

 
Judges Say: LA says the performance was honest and he loves her. Demi thinks Carly was incredible. Simon says this was a huge improvement, and she is a star in the making. Britney thinks she should have closed the show. Take it easy, Brit. They brought Diamond back - you can't have everything.
--------------------------------------------

Act: Jason Brock
Team: LA
Song: “I Believe I Can Fly”

I’m sooooo tired of this hearing this song on TV singing competitions. While I appreciate that Jason does not have all of the crazy dancers and props on stage this week, this performance is still campy. I really do think he has a great voice, but my assumption is he will be the next Team LA contestant to head home.

Judges Say: Britney thinks it was too lounge-y. Demi says LA has not guided him as an artist, and he is too cabaret. Simon doesn’t think Jason can fly. Huh? Is that a weight comment? Not cool. He also says Jason looks like 'a singer in an Italian restaurant" and he has a lot of work to do. LA says he did a great job and it’s up to America. He has SO abandoned this guy.
----------------------------------

Act: Fifth Harmony (formerly 1432….formerly LYLAS)
Team: Simon
Song: "A Thousand Years" by Christina Perri

I hope this name sticks. It’s going to be hard for them to secure a fan base when the name changes each week. The fact that they are singing a Twilight song should help with that. I like them though – without being too cheesy, their "harmonies" are fantastic.

Judges Say:  LA is impressed with the song and he's proud of them. Britney says the group shined the whole way. Demi thinks all of them are power vocalists. Simon says there is something incredibly exciting about their potential.
----------------------------------------

We'll find out who lives to see another week and which judge loses another part of their team during tomorrow's results show. One act will be eliminated, but thankfully the episode will only last an hour. Til then!

No comments:

Post a Comment