So there are many of you who loyally watch these shows and, like me, make continual comments to the television whether anyone else is in the room or not. Alternately, there are many of you who do not have the time to keep up with reality TV – there are too many shows, your tivos runneth over, you have kids and can’t remember what it’s like to watch anything beyond Dora the Explorer (you know who you are) – but you also want to be “in the know.” That’s fine. Let me help you understand.

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Idol: Another Elimination Shocker

Ryan welcomes us to American Idol and lets us know that the finalists received 53 million votes last night. Kris Allen and LMFAO will perform tonight, thankfully not together, but first we are treated (?) to another Idol group number. The Top 7 take on “Dancing In The Street,” and fortunately they have backup dancers tonight so the cheesy group choreography is not as bad as it has been in the past. Scratch that – a whole bunch of balloon just fell on the stage as the contestants bounced and snapped, so we have a heaping helping of cheese after all.

Results! Joshua and Hollie take center stage. Joshua is safe this week, and Hollie is in the bottom 3. I hope that her praise from the judges last night didn’t give her fans the impression she would probably be safe tonight. I have a bad feeling about this…

Back from commercial, and Taylor Hicks is in the audience! That exclamation point exists only because I had no idea the guy was still alive. What’s he been up to? Not much, but he’s doing Vegas this summer….as what, I’m not sure. Dealer? Waiter? We’ll have to wait and see.

Kris Allen performs his new song “Vision of Love” now from a revolving piano. I assume the piano will stop eventually (doesn’t he get dizzy from that?), and to my relief Kris jumps down with that adorable crooked side smile, and all is well with the world. The song is great, but he’s so darn cute that I tune out the singing a few times during the performance. I hope his second album does well. “The Truth” still makes frequent appearances on my iPod, and he deserves to have a more booming career.

Results! Skylar and Elise take center stage, and Elise looks ready to head over to the stools immediately. Between the two, I would also prefer that Elise head over to the stools of doom….and she does. Skylar is safe!

As we return from commercial, we take a look back on the life of Dick Clark. This is a great tribute to him, and even in the context of American Idol, I am moved by the video clips of his contributions to music and television.

Unfortunately we follow up the Dick Clark tribute with LMFAO singing(?) “Sorry For Party Rocking.” Classy. I’m part of the minority that has no time for them, so I wait for the commercial.

Results! Phillip, Colton and Jessica take center stage, and Colton joins the bottom 3. Ryan asks Randy if America got it right, and Randy lets us know several times that the judges have no power. Duly noted.

However, Elise is safe! Oh man…it’s between Colton and Hollie, and now I’m really nervous. Oh my God! Colton is going home! I feel bad for him because if this had happened last week I think the judges would have used their save on him. He sings his goodbye song from his knees, and he is emotional. Everyone is. Nothing’s real until you let go completely? I wish him the best, and I would definitely buy one of Colton’s albums.

Next week we’ll see if Hollie and Elise can hang in there, if the judges still have no power, and if the contestants choose a wider variety of artists to represent. Until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment