So there are many of you who loyally watch these shows and, like me, make continual comments to the television whether anyone else is in the room or not. Alternately, there are many of you who do not have the time to keep up with reality TV – there are too many shows, your tivos runneth over, you have kids and can’t remember what it’s like to watch anything beyond Dora the Explorer (you know who you are) – but you also want to be “in the know.” That’s fine. Let me help you understand.

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Idol: The Top 7 Perform

Tonight we open the show with a glimpse into the home towns of the remaining contestants, including the recently eliminated DeAndre. Well, it’s nice to know he has a support system to go back to. The judges are introduced, and even though J.Lo’s divorce was announced not too long before the show aired today, she doesn’t miss a beat, flashing the same smile and remaining upbeat as the performances begin. The contestants will be performing songs from 2010 to today, with two duets and a trio, and they will also be mentored by Akon.


Contestant: Skylar Laine
Song: “Didn’t You Know How Much I Love You,” by Kelli Pickler

Jimmy and Akon were concerned during rehearsal because this is not a famous song, and that worries me too. I’m not familiar with it at all. But wait! Skylar plays the guitar, and I am SO glad she does. I’m not sure she needs all the fire and flames all over the stage, but she wails on this song as it closes, and I love it.

Judges’ Remarks: I hear a “Yo, yo, dude,” and I think that Randy is about to give one of those mind-numbing critiques we are all used to by now…but instead he starts off our night by commenting on the three kids from Skylar’s home town video package. He then calls her performance “crazy hot. I mean, yo.” Thank goodness J.Lo jumps in now to say Skylar was pitch perfect and nailed it. Steven, however, gives us exactly what we need to make this a great night: “The crows may crow, but the hens deliver the goods.”
--------------------

Contestant: Colton Dixon
Song: “Love The Way You Lie,” Skylar Grey’s version

Colton worries about being compared to Phillip Phillips because he wants to stand on his own as an artist. I’m pretty sure the hair style alone has him on that track. Colton is back to his gloomy staging, and honestly, I can barely see him even when the camera zooms in. He sounds great though, and if this were a blind audition (blasphemy!) I would totally turn my chair around.

Judges’ Remarks: J.Lo says his songs are always very “Colton,” which is what he’s going for. Steven likes Colton’s jacket, and can’t wait for Colton to sing his own music. Randy thinks Colton’s jacket is “crazy fly” and also complements his singing…I think.
--------------------

Duet: Phillip Phillips and Elise Testone sing “Somebody That I Used To Know,” by Gotye. This song is awesome. Phillip is doing much better with this song than I thought he would, since this isn’t necessarily a tune he would have picked for himself. Elise sounds great, and I really love them as duet partners.

Judges’ Remarks: Steven loves the performance and notes that Elise made Phillip blush a little. J.Lo says Elise “sang the mess” out of that song (did Randy pass her a note with that quote?).
--------------------

Contestant: Jessica Sanchez
Song: “Stutter,” by Jazmine Sullivan

Jimmy and Akon do not know this song, and honestly, neither do I. As I listen, I also do not like this song. No offense intended to Jessica or Jasmine Sullivan. Jessica is very talented, and she is singing well, but I wish she had chosen something else. It’s just not for me.

Judges’ Remarks: Randy thinks the performance was superb and of the highest degree. J.Lo thinks– wait, those previous words were from Randy? That was a complete sentence! Anyway, J.Lo thinks it was beautiful because of how Jessica was digging. Steven loves this too, and Randy jumps back in to tell Ryan that Jessica “took down a whale, dude.” And now we’re back…
--------------------

Contestant: Joshua Ledet
Song: “Runaway Baby,” by Bruno Mars

Joshua wants to move away from the ballads this week and let loose. I’m looking forward to this – I’ve enjoyed Joshua’s soulful (yet sometime screamy) voice, I’d love to see what happens with an up tempo song. Whoa! He’s got choreography and everything! He’s yelling at me again, but given the band and backup singers, he kind of has to. I like it though – good for him for branching out.

Judges’ Remarks: Standing ovation. Who didn’t see that coming? Steven says Joshua can sell a song like a work of art, then adds: “because you sing so good.” Oh okay – for a second I thought Joshua was actually peddling songs, but now I know his voice has a lot to do with it. Randy one ups Steven though by complimenting Joshua’s socks before telling Ryan “I really think we’ve got somebody here who has to have it.” He has used this terminology before, and I haven’t the slightest idea what he’s talking about.
--------------------

Duet: Colton Dixon and Skylar Laine take on “Don’t You Wanna Stay,” by Jason Aldean and (ahem) Kelly Clarkson. There’s already going to be a bias here. See, I’m watching this episode several days after the fact because I had the great fortune to meet Kelly Clarkson the other night at one of her concerts, and I was traveling during the Idol episodes. And yes, that was very “Randy” of me to type that, and I don’t care. She’s awesome. And you know what? Skylar and Colton do a pretty good job with this song. Even though their singing styles are so different, they complement each other well.

Judges’ Remarks: Steven says they just made love singing to each other. Awkward. He then goes on to use the words “pretty,” “gorgeous,” and “beautiful.” Man, he is branching out tonight. It was just okay for Randy.
---------------------

Contestant: Hollie Cavanagh
Song: “Perfect,” by Pink

I’m really pulling for Hollie here, partially because I don’t think she gets a fair shake, and partially because I really like the way she says “perfect.” Hollie goes acoustic for this performance, and I like it. When she sings “look, I’m still around,” she beams and so do I. Ballads are really her strong point, and I swear…if I hear the word “pitchy” after this….

Judges’ Remarks: God help me – J.Lo starts off with “you look beautiful tonight, Hollie.” I breathe in and I count to 10. Luckily she tells her that she sang beautifully. Steven says it wasn’t perfect but “you look good tonight, girl.” Really? This is really what we have going? Randy thinks this performance was better than last week.
--------------------

Contestant: Phillip Phillips
Song: “Give A Little More,” by Maroon 5

Jimmy and Akon change the arrangement during P squared’s rehearsal, and Jimmy is concerned about whether Phillip wants to win the competition. P squared has a humble “I want to win but I also just want to play music” attitude, and I guess he is supposed to profess that he’s “gotta have it” so Randy and company will be on board with him. The song starts off with an intimate vibe, and the energy rises as the band comes in mid song. This isn’t my favorite performance of his, but I love how consistent he is with his choices and staying true to himself.

Judges’ Remarks: Steven likes the way Phillip has evolved, and for some reason both Steven and J.Lo seem to think that if Steve McQueen and Johnny Cash had a baby, it would be Phillip. I don’t really have a response for that. J.Lo is also underwhelmed. Randy agrees. Hmph.
--------------------

Trio: Hollie Cavanagh, Joshua Ledet and Jessica Sanchez sing “Stronger,” by Kelly Clarkson. Umm… two Kelly songs tonight? My nerves are shot, American Idol. You know if this had been a duet between Hollie and Jessica I might enjoy it more. Joshua doesn’t fit in here, and he loses the lyrics in his last screechy solo. Jessica starts screaming at me right after that. Sigh. In my opinion, Glee did a much better cover of this song.

Judges’ Remarks: J.Lo is proud of them. Randy thinks including Joshua with Hollie and Jessica is dope. It’s time to move on.
--------------------

Contestant: Elise Testone
Song: “You and I,” by Lady Gaga

GREAT song. Elise wants to play the drums in the beginning of this song, but Jimmy and Akon veto this immediately. She starts on the piano instead, and this is actually a really good rendition. Last year when Haley Reinhart sang this song (well, I might add), she received no praise. I hope the judges are good to her tonight.

Judges’ Remarks: Randy says Elise has mad talent and dope vocals. I’m assuming these are compliments. J.Lo thinks Elise is a closer (like Kyra Sedgwick?). Steven says it was genius. Hopefully Elise can breathe a sigh of relief tonight.
--------------------

As we move into the results show, I worry again for Hollie. Phillip may be in jeopardy too, but really the judges are trying to set up a Joshua/Jessica finale, so it’s going to start getting nasty soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment