So there are many of you who loyally watch these shows and, like me, make continual comments to the television whether anyone else is in the room or not. Alternately, there are many of you who do not have the time to keep up with reality TV – there are too many shows, your tivos runneth over, you have kids and can’t remember what it’s like to watch anything beyond Dora the Explorer (you know who you are) – but you also want to be “in the know.” That’s fine. Let me help you understand.

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Idol: The Top Six Perform


Tonight our remaining six contestants will sing two songs each. They will choose their own songs later on in the show, but they will first take on the songs from Queen. I’m already on edge because Jessica and Joshua tend to shout at me, so tonight’s performances could do me in. Before we get to the individual performances, the Top Six sing a medley with the remaining Queen band members (it seems so sad to say that). It’s always good to see Brian May wailing on the guitar, and I’m kind of hoping he stays on stage for the rest of the night.


Contestant: Jessica Sanchez
Song: "Bohemian Rhapsody"

Either my TV is on the fritz or Jessica has requested black and white television for this performance. Behind her, three of her heads sing on the giant screen. Suddenly the color on the TV is fixed, and she is rocking out…sort of…and without Brian May. While I absolutely appreciate her vocal ability (adrenaline?), the song is chopped up, and it just isn’t as awesome when you’re only hearing snippets.

Judges’ Remarks: Steven says Freddie Mercury would be proud of that. You think? I'm not sure it was that mind-blowing of a performance. J.Lo says she needed Jessica to rock out more. Finally! Criticism! Randy loves it because there were no runs, and she’s mad young. Here we go, America.

------------------------------------

Contestant: Skylar Laine
Song: “The Show Must Go On”
The violins are out in full force for this performance, so I wonder for a second if this will turn into a country song. It doesn’t, as indicated not only by the flames on stage, but by the backup singer in sunglasses as well. Non-country rock is not Skylar’s strong suit, but she does a really good job with this song, and I’m happy for her.

Judges’ Remarks: Steven says it was over the top, and he means it as a compliment. J.Lo got goosies. I really wish we could call them something else. Randy believes this was one of her best performances, and then yells  “Ryan, this girl right here, she’s gotta have it dude.” And suddenly we are back at Cold Stone Creamery.
---------------------------------


Contestant: Joshua Ledet
Song: “Crazy Little Thing Called Love”
As my right eye twitches, I begin to sing my own lyrics...

This song
It’s loud
It’s shrill
It’s deafening..

Joshua screeches through most of it, and I don’t enjoy the performance at all. Not that it matters….it’s going to get a standing ovation and end up being the best performance of the night, because the judges and producers have already declared him the Season 11 winner. 

Judges’ Remarks: Standing ovation. I refuse to comment further.
---------------------------------
Contestant: Elise Testone
Song: “I Want It All”

Rock Elise is back! Woohoo! She’s also working a tambourine, as much as one can work a tambourine anyway. I like this performance. She's looks confident and excited about this performance, and I’m a fan or her persistence despite the fact that she is often a whipping post on this show. Randy, I think this is also a girl who's gotta have it.
Judges’ Remarks: Steven really enjoys Elise. J.Lo says Elise is in her element and that everything came together. Randy says “Wow, what a night so far. Who would have thunk it?” Indeed. He then says the performance was brilliant.
---------------------------------
Contestant: Phillip Phillips
Song: “Fat Bottomed Girls”

This is such a good song. I do wish P squared would look like he’s having as much fun as I’m sure he is actually having, but otherwise, this is a great rendition. I'll give him credit for working on his smoldering "hello, ladies" camera look. I usually say "helloooo, Phillip Phillips" right back. I enjoy this, but I am really looking forward to the song he chooses for himself later.

Judges’ Remarks: Steven looks at J.Lo and she can’t imagine why Steven would look at her after hearing “Fat Bottomed Girls.” J.Lo thinks Phillip gives us different flavors each week, and that is the mark of a great singer. Randy was not jumping up and down – I challenge him to actually do this someday.
------------------------------
Contestant: Hollie Cavanagh
Song: “Save Me”
This isn’t one of the more famous Queen songs, so it’s an interesting choice for her. I think Hollie sounds great, and she is very connected to the song. Her emotional bond here seems to take the place of her nerves. She’s come such a long way, and I hope she is given a fair critique tonight. Since they were easy on Elise though, I feel that Hollie may take the round 1 beating.  
Judges’ Remarks: Steven thinks she did a really good job with it. J.Lo felt her get emotional during the song, and because of that she went off just a little. J.Lo wants to Hollie enjoy the song more. Um. Did J.Lo listen to the lyrics and message of this song? It’s not exactly “On The Floor.” No more talking from you. Randy thinks it was a good performance, but the melodies were simple. Thank you, king of the back-handed compliment.

------------------------------
Contestant: Jessica Sanchez
Song: “Dance With My Father,” by Luther Vandross

Jessica’s father has gone through a series of deployments, and she dedicates this song to him. I forgive Jessica for using J.Lo’s wind machine for this song because she tones down her yelling and really sings beautifully. I’m remembering now why I loved her in the beginning of the competition.

Judges’ Remarks: J.Lo says this was the most beautiful she has ever heard this song. You know what she means. Steven thanks Jessica for singing it so beautifully. Randy thinks she is truly amazing.
----------------------------
Contestant: Skylar Laine
Song: “Tattoos On This Town,” by Jason Aldean

Skylar returns to her country roots, playing the guitar and exerting her twang. She’s not crazy and shaky like she is during other country performances, but she’s so at home with this song, and I really think she will be successful in the country music industry.
Judges’ Remarks: Randy is a ginormous fan of Skylar’s.  Perhaps this is why he can’t jump and down. J.Lo thinks that Skylar slayed it. Steven misses her flare a bit, but he’s still one of her biggest fans.
----------------------------
Contestant: Joshua Ledet
Song: “Ready For Love,” by India Aire

I really need Joshua to go easy on my eardrums. For the love – don’t scream at me. This is actually very, very good. Like Jessica, Joshua takes it easy and the result is beautiful. For me, for him, this is one of my favorite Joshua performances, and this time he has really earned the praise he is about to receive.

Judges’ Remarks: Standing ovation. Randy is speechless….except for the part where he talks for 30 seconds. J.Lo says Joshua snaps us right into reality. Steven not only gets snapped into reality when Joshua sings, he also goes off into another place when Joshua sings. I may not be Einstein, but I know those two statements are complete contradictions.
--------------------------------
Contestant: Elise Testone
Song: “Bold as Love,” by Jimi Hendrix

Rock Elise, round two, and I'm loving it. I know she is not supposed to be one of the front runners, and she’s not someone I’m even rooting for to win, but she has really grown on me. We'll see if stealing from Steven's wardrobe tonight gives her any bonus points.
Judges’ Remarks: Steven worries that she picked a song people aren’t familiar with. By people, he means the 14 year old girls squealing for Phillip in the first few rows. He cautions her not to “pick cherries with your back to the tree.” That would be challenging to do regardless. J.Lo calls Elise one of the best singers in the competition. She does realize Elise is up there and not Jessica or Joshua, right? Randy doesn’t think it was the right song (because that’s what Steven said), and he also thinks she was "boxing with the song." I immediately picture a Rocky montage where Elise trains to sing Jimi Hendrix.
---------------------------------
Contestant: Phillip Phillips
Song: “The Stone,” by Dave Matthews Band

YES! Finally, a Dave Matthews song. I can't wait to see what he does with it. P squared is all in black for this performance, branching out from his gray t-shirts. He sounds exactly how I would expect him to sound on this song, which may or may not be a good thing. Typically he is praised for his artistry, but singing a Dave song and sounding like Dave is a bit of a let down. He still sounds good, and he is still my favorite, but I hope this performance doesn't hurt him in the long run.
Judges’ Remarks: Steven loves this because it was off the wall. J.Lo thinks each of the finalists has a shot to win. Especially Phillip. What? J.Lo thinks he should have picked a different song, however, because it was a little too artsy. She'd be making sense if she were making sense. Randy disagrees and loves that Phillip is an artist, and that he is also Phillip Phillips.  As long as P squared retains his birth certificate then, he should be good to go.
--------------------------------
Contestant: Hollie Cavanagh
Song: “The Climb,” by Miley Cyrus

Well the good news is, Hollie has to sound better live than Miley does. Can't really go wrong there. I’m glad Hollie gets to close the show because vocally, this is a great performance. Say what you want about whether she lets loose, or enjoys herself while belting depressing lyrics – she can SING. This is her moment, and this is the best of the night for me.  

Judges’ Remarks: Standing OVATION! YAY! Randy says “Yo! Hollie is back! Yo!” J.Lo thinks it was perfect. Or peahrfect, if you are Hollie. Steven tries to speak in an English/Australian accent poorly and then expresses his love for Hollie.
--------------------------------

As we close the show Ryan talks to the judges about who is in danger. Randy makes sure to use all of his Idol experience when he says "I hope none of you go home." We'll find out if Randy gets his wish tomorrow night after Stefano (think hard, and you will remember him) and Katy Perry perform during the results show!

No comments:

Post a Comment