So there are many of you who loyally watch these shows and, like me, make continual comments to the television whether anyone else is in the room or not. Alternately, there are many of you who do not have the time to keep up with reality TV – there are too many shows, your tivos runneth over, you have kids and can’t remember what it’s like to watch anything beyond Dora the Explorer (you know who you are) – but you also want to be “in the know.” That’s fine. Let me help you understand.

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Idol Elimination: An Almost Save

Ryan welcomes us to elimination night and immediately calls out Joshua, because he’s not feeling well. In fact, he has Joshua describe all of his symptoms, and for what reason I don’t know. Now, Hollie is sitting in front of Joshua already looking like she may vomit, so this could prove to be a very interesting hour of live television.

Before we get to the results though, we are treated to the premiere of J.Lo’s racy new video for “Dance Again.” Um, there are A LOT of almost naked people in this video. For a second, I think I’m listening to “On the Floor,” and then Pitbull pops up in the video to really mess with my mind. I’m snapped back into reality when J.Lo blindfolds her new boyfriend though, because I know that didn’t happen during any of the “la la la la la” parts of “On the Floor.” Well, there are worse ways to kill an hour I suppose.

Results! The duet partners from last night will be called up to learn their fates, and we begin with Joshua and Jessica. Even though Joshua is dizzy, and Ryan reminds us that Joshua isn’t feeling well and may pass out, Joshua takes center stage with Jessica anyway. They are both safe, as expected.

Commercial break, and The Wanted performs “Glad You Came.” I don’t know these guys, but they are apparently a British boy band. The eight girls in the “jump up and down wildly” pit near the stairs know who they are though. Oh okay – they are back upndancers, so it makes more sense to me now that they were in a small hole in the stage floor for a hot minute. J.Lo really seems to like them, and I think one of them kisses her on the cheek as they make their way past the judges’ table. Uh-oh. I hope her boyfriend still has the blindfold on…

Results! Skylar and Colton are up, and after they discuss how Skylar might have been overlooked as a power vocalist up until now, Hollie and DeAndre are asked to take the stage as well. Coincidence? Perhaps. DeAndrea is in the bottom three, Hollie joins him there, and Colton and Skylar are safe. Time for a commercial.

Ryan announces that Kelli Pickler will perform “Where’s Tammy Wynette?” in just a second. Already I’m recalling that Tammy Wynette has been deceased for quite some time now, but I also saw Kelli Pickler’s appearance on Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader, so I imagine no one has told Kelli about Tammy’s passing. Not a bad song though, and she sounds pretty good, but wow – she looks different. I can’t quite put my finger on it, but if Ryan hadn’t announced her, I don’t know that I would have recognized her immediately.

Results! Either Elise of Phillip will join Hollie and DeAndre in the bottom 3. My guess is Elise, since she gets more compliments on her wardrobe than she does on her voice. Yup, Elise makes her way over to the stools of doom. BUT Hollie is safe!!! It takes her a moment to register Ryan’s
words, and we leave DeAndre and Elise hanging on for dear life as we go to commercial.

Before we find out who goes home, Ryan asks the judges if America got it right. Steven says no, and J.Lo and Randy say half and half. Given their remarks to Elise last night, they must think DeAndre should have been safe. Elise, however, is safe instead– DeAndre will have to sing for the
save. I can’t tell what’s going to happen here. The judges have been more supportive of this kid then they have of several of the better performers/singers in this competition. I hope they don’t use their save on him though – he’s not going to win this show. Seems none of the judges wanted to deliver the news…they reek of indecision tonight. J.Lo breaks first, revealing that she wants to save DeAndre, but Steven and Randy do not.

So we are now down to seven, with two more weeks for the judges to use their save. Until next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment