So there are many of you who loyally watch these shows and, like me, make continual comments to the television whether anyone else is in the room or not. Alternately, there are many of you who do not have the time to keep up with reality TV – there are too many shows, your tivos runneth over, you have kids and can’t remember what it’s like to watch anything beyond Dora the Explorer (you know who you are) – but you also want to be “in the know.” That’s fine. Let me help you understand.

Monday, April 2, 2012

The Voice Goes Live!

Tonight the six contenders from Team Blake and Team Xtina take the stage to compete for America’s votes. Already I’m excited because we no longer have to see the coaches in their Battle Round wardrobe (I love me some Xtina, but I couldn’t take another week of that hat). I’m thrown immediately by Adam’s lack of hair and Cee-Lo’s miraculous locks…locks of love perhaps?

Team Blake Contestant: Jermaine Paul
Song: “Livin’ On a Prayer,” by Bon Jovi

Jermaine comes up from a cloud of smoke under the stairway in the audience and makes his way to the stage. I can’t always hear him over the band. The band is rocking out though - they’ve got my vote. Jermaine is very into his performance, and he’s got some stage presence - most likely from his days as a backup singer. I’m not completely sold on him yet, but he does a pretty good job.

Coaches Say: Xtina is wearing her “serious” hair style tonight, and she doesn’t see the connection between Jermaine and the song choice, but compliments his travel from the audience stairs to the stage. After all, it is important to travel safely and swiftly. Blake doesn’t care what Xtina says. He’d rather have a beer… I mean, he believes Jermaine’s song will be in the Top 10 on iTunes.
----------

Team Xtina Contestant: Chris Mann
Song: “Bridge Over Troubled Water,” by Simon and Garfunkel

Chris has a Josh Groban vibe about him, which is a relief because I was worried his version would be similar to Clay Aiken’s. Not that Clay Aiken’s version isn’t wonderful…I just want Chris’ performance to stand on its own with no comparisons to other reality competitions. (Did I just out myself as a Clay Aiken CD owner?) Chris hits some notes and holds some notes that are just unreal. I’m definitely impressed.

Coaches Say: Cee-Lo really enjoyed the performance behind his sun glasses and bangs. Adam was skeptical at first (maybe he too was concerned it would be too Clay Aiken-y), but he thought it was good overall.
----------

Team Blake Contestant:
RaeLynn. Just RaeLynn.
Song: “Wake Up Call,” by Maroon 5

I know Blake and Adam hate the term “bromance,” but seriously – isn’t this adorable? I hope Adam has someone from his team sing a Blake Shelton song. I’m not too sure I love this rendition until the chorus where she gets all raspy. RaeLynn (just RaeLynn) works the stage, but I think she would excel more if she sticks to her country roots. It’s a little early to be taking a risk, right?

Coaches Say: Xtina likes her sass, and then comments on Blake and Adam’s love for one another. Thank you for that, um, critique. Adam doesn’t really give a critique either, opting instead to lament that she didn’t choose him as a coach.
----------

Team Xtina Contestant: Moses Stone
Song: “Stronger” and “Power,” by Kanye West

Yo Moses, Imma let you finish… Okay. I had to get that out of the way. He is drowned out by the music as well, and I think he’s actually screaming at me. Confirmed – he is definitely screaming at me. The acrobatic dancers are a nice touch though, and Xtina is really digging this. It’s just aiight for me though.

Coaches Say: Cee-Lo appreciates his stage presence, and Adam thinks he has more potential as a singer than a rapper. Blake struggles to find something polite to say, and then Xtina expresses her excitement, but in a PG way….which I may or may not appreciate.
----------

Team Blake Contestant: Who cares? Betty White is in the audience, and she’s hot for Blake Shelton. Oh, okay – Naia Kete is up.
Song: “Turning Tables,” by Adele

Hmmm. This is one of those songs I really love, and I have a hard time when other people cover it (I’m looking at you, Gwyneth Paltrow). Blake encourages Naia not to make it a reggae rendition, and I think she would have been happier and more comfortable making the song her own. Naia has some out of breath moments for the first half of the performance, but closes the song well – she has a very unique voice, and I’d like to hear more of it.

Coaches Say: Xtina would have preferred to hear a reggae spin, and I agree. Blake wanted Naia to appear versatile, but again, I wonder if taking this kind of risk on week 1 of the live shows is smart.
----------

Team Xtina Contestant: Lindsey Pavao
Song: "Somebody That I Used to Know," by Gotye

I’m startled by the scary doll face dancers, and they will haunt my dreams tonight for sure. Lindsey looks down at the stage a lot, and the music is overpowering (can we get someone to look into the volume behind the vocals please?), but she has a really unique voice as well, and I’d like to see her grow in this competition.

Coaches Say: Adam is looking for more power in her voice, and Lindsay looks down at the stage during her critique as well. Xtina would like to buy her album. I wonder if the coaches are allowed to buy the songs on iTunes? Buying songs = votes, right? I’ll have to do some research.
----------

Team Blake Contestant: Jordis Unga
Song: “Alone,” by Heart

There have been A LOT of reality TV contestants who have attempted this song. Glee covered it as well. Having heard Heart sing “Alone” live, I’m not sure how much I will enjoy her rendition. Wait….I’m a fan of the orchestra. And I can hear her! Oddly enough, I enjoy the slower portions accompanied by the violins far more that the rocking out portions.

Coaches Say: Cee-Lo believes Jordis’ high notes signify her as a performer. See? This is what I mean about the coaches speaking in complete sentences and giving me nothing to make fun of. Blake loves her and her performance.
-----------
Team Xtina Contestant: Sera Hill
Song: “Find Your Love,” by Drake

Sera begins the song surrounded by half naked men. I’m not complaining - I’m just relaying what I see. Xtina was right when she compared Sera to Mary J. Blige. She is workin’ it, and the vision of shirtlessness is dancing behind her. I have no problems with this performance.

Coaches Say: Blake was waiting for Xtina to shove dollar bills down the pants of the background dancers, who he then refers to as “male strippers.” I was kind of waiting too since it’s not out of character for Xtina to join her contestants on stage. Xtina likes the set up of the whole performance, including the dancers. Yup.
----------

Team Blake Contestant:
Erin Willett
Song: “Living for the City,” by Stevie Wonder

Erin has an old school club thing going on, and she starts off at a piano. It seems we’ve fixed the volume problem with the band. She has a booming voice that I don’t think we fully saw during the previous rounds. Erin is quite confident tonight, and I enjoy her. I hope she makes it through.

Coaches Say: Cee-Lo likes the staging, and Blake calls it the best vocal performance of the night. I’m good with both of those assessments.

Team Xtina Contestant: Ashley De La Rosa
Song: “Right Through You,” by Alanis Morrisette

Okay, so Ashley knows exactly who she is, and she is right at home performing this song. At the age of 17, she looks like a seasoned performer even though she is neither a YouTube sensation, nor a Disney TV star. She could actually be a contender, and I was not expecting that.

Coaches Say: Adam is also surprised by how well Ashley did and tells her she was more of a woman than a 17 year old tonight. I think that’s the closest we can get without a restraining order. Xtina loves how well Ashley handled the staging at her young age. Clearly we are going to play up the “she’s in high school” thing as long as we can.
-------------

Team Blake Contestant: Charlotte Sometimes
Song: “Misery Business,” by Paramore

Great song! I’m keeping my fingers crossed that she does well, but it starts out a little too low for her. She sounds good going into the chorus and starts to let loose juuuuust a little in the second verse. I'm hoping for more energy, but it doesn't happen – like this was building to something and the “something” never arrived.

Coaches Say: Adam compliments Charlotte’s unique voice, but he does call her out on some of her pitch problems. Xtina likes Charlotte’s pipes (her words, not mine) and she is pleasantly surprised.
---------

Team Xtina Contestant: Jesse Campbell
Song: “What a Wonderful World,” by Louis Armstrong

Jesse has so many emotions going into this performance, and I feel for him (and with him). He could easily try to overdo it here, and he is pretty restrained even though Xtina encouraged him not to hold back during his rehearsal. We’ll see if she still feels that way now.

Coaches Say: Cee-Lo tells Jesse “your voice is as beautiful as my hair.” See, I take that as an insult, but Cee-Lo loves his hair and proceeds to shake his hair a lot while he speaks. Adam says Jesse is the dude to beat. Xtina uses the “you could sing the phone book” reference, and we end the show on a disappointing note.

There was some definite talent revealed on Team Blake and Team Xtina during this first live show. I’ll be honest and say that I’m picking up the phone and voting for Naia tonight, and I’m about to tell you why – I think she was steered wrong by her coach and deserves another chance. Tomorrow, three from each team advance with the coaches able to choose a fourth when the remaining contestants sing for their lives. If Naia doesn’t make is through, I hope Blake throws her a bone. We’ll see what happens on the results show!

No comments:

Post a Comment