So there are many of you who loyally watch these shows and, like me, make continual comments to the television whether anyone else is in the room or not. Alternately, there are many of you who do not have the time to keep up with reality TV – there are too many shows, your tivos runneth over, you have kids and can’t remember what it’s like to watch anything beyond Dora the Explorer (you know who you are) – but you also want to be “in the know.” That’s fine. Let me help you understand.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Idol Top 7: Round 2

We open the show acknowledging the passing of the great Dick Clark. Yes, he was a music/television pioneer, but on a simpler level, he was a personality people of all ages recognized as we rang in each new year. I really can't imagine a December 31st without Dick Clark. He will be greatly missed.

The Top 7 perform again tonight for America’s votes after the completely unsurprising judges’ save last week. They will sing two songs each tonight – a number 1 hit from 2000 until now and "a soul song from back in the day"…whatever that means.

Constant: Hollie Cavanagh
Song: “Rolling in the Deep,” by Adele

My palm hits my forehead harder than I had anticipated. Seriously, Idol, The Voice, whoever...stop letting your contestants do Adele. No more! I love Hollie (more than the judges do for sure), but now I worry she will end up with one of those “Adele is Adele” critiques. To her credit she does sound great, and I’m really pulling for her, but the poor kid hasn't been able to do anything right for Huey, Dewey and Louie in weeks, so I cringe at the possibility of what might come next.


Judges’ Remarks: Steven says it was perfect, and this is exactly what J.Lo has been waiting for. What? Really? Don't toy with me, judges. Randy uses the word “pitchy” but says it was very well done. Good for her! Funny that she has to take on a song no one should take on to finally get the praise she deserves. On the flip side, maybe the judges realized that bashing her each week isn't getting her sent home, and they have changed their strategy.
-------------------

Contestant: Colton Dixon
Song: “Bad Romance,” by Lady Gaga

Colton turns “Bad Romance” into a rock song, kind of, and I’m not totally sure how I feel about it. I tend to prefer the originals to most cover songs anyway, but in this situation I would absolutely rather listen to Gaga’s version. Colton’s voice is too low here to give me the energy I want from this song.

Judges’ Remarks: Randy says they are at a Colton Dixon concert. Must be because Colton was performing live on stage and Randy was in the audience. J.Lo thinks it was an exciting performance. Steven sets the tone for the night saying “you gotta get low to get high.”
--------------------

Contestant: Elise Testone
Song: “No One,” by Alicia Keyes

This is a big song for someone who lives in the bottom 3. Elise borrows J.Lo’s wind machine tonight (most likely without J.Lo’s permission), and she sounds pretty good. However, to me, for me, for her, she seems to just be singing really well, hitting notes, and not really connecting to the song. Alicia Keyes feels all of her music, so this is a tough comparison to make.

Judges’ Remarks: Steven had hoped for a better chorus, but he loved it. Randy is happy she stayed with the melody because then people could sing along. Fabulous – let’s just do karaoke from now on.
-------------------

Contestant: Phillip Phillips
Song: “U Got It Bad,” by Usher

Jimmy asks again where Phillip sees himself, and P squared remains humble in his gray shirt. He just wants to make music. Phillip has a lounge vibe about his performance tonight, and it’s very sexy. His angry forehead vein is more passionate now than crazy, and he is really into this song. I love it.

Judges’ Remarks: Standing ovation. Damn straight. J.Lo also thinks the performance was sexy and loves when he shows that side of him. Randy aggravates my angry forehead vein with “Dude, I smile every week because I’ve been doin’ this show for a minute.” He then calls Phillip a real artist as well as da bomb.
----------------------------

Contestant: Jessica Sanchez
Song: “Fallin’,” by Alicia Keyes


More Alicia Keyes? Okay. Jimmy tells Jessica to open up and have some fun with her performance. Judging by the red umbrellas suspended above Jessica’s head, she has to be having a little fun. I know I am. Her performance is pretty fantastic, and I absolutely understand why the judges used their save on her.

Judges’ Remarks: J.Lo loves her vulnerability, and I completely miss Steven's response because I'm trying to pick up that name Randy dropped. “Your talent is so otherworldly I don’t know if you know how great you are and how much greater you could even be. Yo, Alicia, holla at the dawg cuz I know you heard dat!”
------------------------------

Contestant: Skylar Laine
Song: “Born This Way,” by Lady Gaga

So…are we limited in how many artists’ songs can be represented tonight? Two Alicia Keyes songs and two Gaga songs? No matter. I love Lady Gaga, and I love Skylar. I had not heard a country version of this song, but I am so glad Skylar is here to educate me. Her enthusiasm is contagious. Well done, kid.

Judges’ Remarks: J.Lo says she’s a fighter and a boxer (it’s nice to be both). Steven thinks Skylar is giving the other girls in the competition a run for their money. And here we go “Yo, you’re a rockin’ country girl and it was amazing, dude.”
----------------------

Contestant: Joshua Ledet
Song: “I Believe,” by Fantasia (formerly Fantasia Barrino)

Fantasia contacted Idol and Joshua last week to give her support, so fingers crossed he does this song justice. I always think it’s gutsy to take on formal Idol winners’ songs, but to take on their winning song is in a realm of its own. Here’s the thing (we started out friends?) – Joshua is so talented, but I don’t really believe that louder is better. Fantasia had a subtlety about her performances that was wonderful, but Joshua does not display that restraint here.

Judges’ Remarks: Randy hopes America shows up for Joshua tonight. He likes that Joshua was restrained (Restrained? In what world? That's the opposite of what I just said.), and he loves the performance. J.Lo feels blessed that Joshua is in the competition. Steven says Joshua could sing the phone book. Is Steven all out of “beautifuls” now?
------------------

Contestant: Hollie Cavanagh
Song: “Son of a Preacher Man,” by Dusty Springfield

I’m interested to see how this goes since this is a “let loose” song, and that is precisely Hollie’s problem. She has such a great voice though that I could care less how much she grooves. Hollie puts so much of that tiny body into those big notes, and I love this performance too.

Judges’ Remarks: Randy thinks she worked it out. J.Lo says Hollie is showing a new composure. Uh-huh. Steven thinks she has the voice and the vehicle and she should push it a little more. Whoa! Both of Hollie’s songs were critiqued fairly! Thank you, judges.
--------------------

Contestant: Colton Dixon
Song: “September,” by Earth Wind and Fire

There is a large purple tree in the middle of the stage. Just sayin’. Colton brings us back to “piano Colton,” and I definitely prefer this performance to his first one. I don’t think this song stands out (no moment for him), but it was solid.

Judges’ Remarks: Steven tells Colton that at this point in the competition he needs to find a perfect song that fits his voice. J.Lo doesn’t think everything came together in this performance. Randy wishes Colton had chosen something out of his comfort zone and even suggests maybe taking a Lil Wayne song and flipping it….because, you know, Lil Wayne has soul songs from
back in the day.
------------------

Contestant: Elise Testone
Song: “Let’s Get It On,” by Marvin Gaye

Oh no. This is not the song for her. I know it’s hard to bring out “rock Elise” with a soul song, but man do I miss “rock Elise.” Again, hitting notes is one thing, but there has to be a connection. You have to SELL this song, and I’m not buying it.

Judges’ Remarks: J.Lo would like to see more emotion in her performances, and perhaps that is why she is in the bottom 3 each week. Ouch. Steven wants her to find those few songs that America will connect with. The problem for Randy is (fill in the blank) the song isn’t right for her voice. He also references Al Green, but it’s a Marvin Gaye song. So as always, I am wondering
what Randy’s contribution is.
-------------------

Contestant: Phillip Phillips
Song: “In the Midnight Hour,” by Wilson Pickett

Awwww yeah. No guitar for P squared during this song, and he takes the mic off the stand and does what little grooving he is comfortable with at this point. Talk about soul – this might be Phillip’s best night in the competition so far.

Judges’ Remarks: Randy lets us know that Phillip is in the house. Many thanks. And here is the ultimate Randy wisdom for the night: “Exactly what you need is always what you have.” Yup. J.Lo gives Phillip one of those “Mmm!” grunts. Agreed! Steven says Phillip is brilliantly awkward, and that might be Steven's most accurate assessment ever.
----------------

Contestant: Jessica Sanchez
Song: “Try A Little Tenderness,” by Otis Redding

Remember when Tim Robbins sand this song on the bus in Bull Durham? I always go back to that when I hear this song. Anyway, the Idol horns are in full force tonight, as is Jessica’s rasp and volume. I prefer other contestants to her right now, but she’s amazingly talented.

Judges’ Remarks: Steven likes that she is steppin’ out. J.Lo references Jessica’s alter ego, and I honestly didn’t realize she had one. Randy wants her to connect more with the emotion and the lyric. Perhaps Jessica and Elise can go to therapy together to get in touch with their emotions?
------------------

Contestant: Skylar Laine
Song: “Heard It Through The Grapevine,” by Marvin Gaye

Marvin Gaye is now catching up to Alicia Keyes and Lady Gaga. I guess there just aren't that many soul artists or artists from 2000 to today? Skylar gives solid performance here. I don’t know that this song adapts to a country twist as well as “Born This Way” did earlier, but I love this girl’s spirit.

Judges’ Remarks: Randy thinks it was brilliant and every time Skylar is on stage, there is a party. J.Lo thinks she should be really proud. Steven says Skylar is a wild horse that refuses to be tamed, so I assume Steven likes the performance as well.
------------------------

Contestant: Joshua Ledet
Song: “A Change Is Gonna Come,” by Sam Cooke

My opinion doesn’t matter because I know Joshua will receive a standing ovation regardless. However, if there was ever a song to take to church, this is it.

Judges’ Remarks: Weird – standing ovation. Everyone loves it.
--------------

So tomorrow we lose another constant for sure with no remaining save from the judges. I think Elise may be doomed here, but based on tonight ONLY, I’d say Colton might be in danger as well. Tomorrow night we will also be treated LMFAO as well as the return of Kris Allen. He just makes me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment