So there are many of you who loyally watch these shows and, like me, make continual comments to the television whether anyone else is in the room or not. Alternately, there are many of you who do not have the time to keep up with reality TV – there are too many shows, your tivos runneth over, you have kids and can’t remember what it’s like to watch anything beyond Dora the Explorer (you know who you are) – but you also want to be “in the know.” That’s fine. Let me help you understand.

Monday, April 16, 2012

The Voice Quarterfinals: Team Blake and Team Xtina

On tonight’s episode of The Voice, Team Blake and Team Xtina compete again, and the stakes are high. One contestant from each team will be eliminated tonight, and one more will be eliminated tomorrow after tonight’s votes. Carson introduces the coaches, and when he speaks with Blake, he notes that Blake achieved his 11th number 1 single. Blake has actually been tweeting all day today looking for congratulatory tweets (and giving Carson a hard time), so I actually find this exchange pretty funny.

Team Blake Contestant: RaeLynn (just RaeLynn)
Song: “She’s Country,” by Jason Aldean

During RaeLynn’s pre-performance package we learn that she does not have a boyfriend because she’s a heartbreaker. I’m not sure if this will help her get votes or not, but it’s an interesting tidbit, I suppose. I’ll say this for RaeLynn - she has a ton of confidence. The song starts off a bit rough, but then she finds her groove about half way through and sings the song well. I’m still not a huge fan, but I do prefer this to last week’s performance.

Coaches Say: RaeLynn makes Xtina want to sing country music. I would actually love to hear that. She then calls Raelynn “a little badass,” which I’m sure is fine for NBC given that the network let “bonertown” fly last week. Cee-Lo thinks the performance was like AC/DC singing a country song. What if AC/DC and Xtina sang a country song together? Oh, give it a chance! This is Blake’s most proud moment of the season (because country music can kick ass), so there’s really no way she will be part of tonight’s instant elimination.
-------------------------

Team Xtina Contestant: Jesse Campbell
Song: “Halo,” by Beyonce (not to be confused with “Already Gone,” by Kelly Clarkson. Same backing track thanks to a lying Ryan Tedder).

Jesse sings this song coming down a flight of stairs flanked by pictures of his daughter. This is another emotional song for him, and the camera keeps cutting to his kid in the audience to pull at everyone’s (including mine) heartstrings. I think I liked his version of “What A Wonderful World” better than this song, but I enjoyed the staging of this performance, breaking out of the standing behind a mic stand habit.

Coaches Say: Cee-Lo thinks Jesse sang the hell out of that song. My, the coaches have potty mouths tonight. Adam notes that Jesse is a huge favorite for this show. Xtina says Jesse "brought it" on an emotional level and that he did a wonderful job.
---------------------------

Team Blake Contestant: Jordis Unga
Song: “A Little Bit Stronger,” by Sarah Evans

Jordis feels confident this week and hopes to tap into her emotional side for this performance. This worked for her “save me” song last week, so I imagine it will go well for her tonight. It does. She’s growing on me, and I prefer these emotional ballads over the rock image she had been going for previously.

Coaches Say: Xtina likes it when Jordis shows her vulnerable side. Adam thinks she did an amazing job. Blake loves the performance as well, calling it “perfect.”
------------------------

Xtina performs with Team Xtina. Okay. Whoa. Xina enters the stage fairly nude and marches male strippers right by Blake Shelton. I absolutely appreciate the humor in that, but, um what about her team? Oh there they are, and as a surprise to absolutely no one, they sing “Fighter” by…Xtina of course. I’d also like to add that her team is sufficiently clothed. The performance is actually really good, but it sucks for Xtina that she will have to send one of these people home within the hour.
--------------------------

Team Xtina Contestant: Ashley De La Rosa
Song: “Foolish Games,” by Jewel

Ashley wants to make this Jewel song more of a rock song, and I’m excited at that possibility. Ashley begins the song slow, sitting in some fog, but she rises for the chorus as the guitars kick in. The fog almost swallows her but finally goes away…and the guitar goes away too. Hmm. This was not really a rock song, but I did like the arrangement anyway (though I feel teased).

Coaches Say: Adam thinks Ashley is the biggest surprise since he initially didn’t see what Xtina saw in her. I love that Adam is always so honest. Blake says that the best thing that has happened on The Voice is Xtina saving Ashley. Xtina basks in this praise and says Ashley nailed it.
---------------------------------

Maroon 5 and Wiz Khalifa perform “Payphone,” and this is the first time I’ve heard this song. I realllllly like it. Or maybe I just really like watching Adam work the stage. He could sing the phone book?
-------------------------------

Team Blake Contestant: Erin Willet
Song: “Set Fire To The Rain,” by Adele

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyy? No more Adele! (See last week’s post). I'm pulling for Erin, but I am not excited about this. At least Erin is more suited for this song than Naia was for “Turning Tables.” She sounds good, and the way they tried to adjust the band to allow Erin to make the song her own is commendable, but this is still Adele’s song and should stay that way.

Coaches Say: Xtina thinks Erin sang her heart out, but Adele is touchy for her because, you know, Adele is Adele. Cee-Lo thinks Erin did the song justice. Adam gets “very Jewish when the fire comes down,” but he’s glad Erin is okay. Did he expect her to light up like a menorah or something? Adam agrees with Xtina and encourages Erin to work on her phrasing. Blake disagrees with the other coaches saying if anyone in the competition can sing Adele, it’s Erin. Even so – NO MORE ADELE, mmmkay?

----------------------
Team Xtina Contestant: Lindsey Pavao
Song: “Part Of Me,” by Katy Perry

Lindsey wanted to do a Rihanna medley of “S&M” and “We Found Love” while playing acoustic guitar, but then she realized how complicated that would be. My brain hurt just thinking about it. So she switched to Katy Perry instead. The camera gives us an unnecessarily extreme close up on Lindsey when she begins, and I’m not sure that was a great idea given how uncomfortable she looks. I’m not a fan of this performance at all. It just seems too awkward and forced.

Coaches Say: Cee-Lo likes the staging and tells Lindsey she did a great job. Adam hates the word “pitchy” but does mention the moments where the pitch got away from her. Blake downloads her music every time she performs. Oh my. Xtina adores Lindsey and respects her as an artist. She looks forward to seeing Lindsey grow in the competition. Is this long term? Because I wouldn’t mind an instant elimination for her tonight.

-----------------------------

Blake performs “Heartache Tonight” with Team Blake, and the team begins on stage as equals with Blake, which I think is interesting compared to the way Xtina used her team as back up. In fact, all of his contestants have extensive solos, and Blake only sings along. That’s quite a statement.
-------------------------------

Team Blake Contestant: Jermaine Paul
Song: “Against All Odds,” by Phil Collins

This is another one of those songs that has been done to death on singing competition shows, so I’m already uneasy. I appreciate his emotional connection to the lyrics, and I’m glad he puts feeling into the song, because I didn’t think his Bon Jovi performance was all that memorable last week. Nicely done though - Blake has quite the dilemma on his hands now.

Coaches Say: Xtina thinks he is a phenomenal singer and says Jermaine is her favorite on Blake’s team. Cee-Lo notes that Jermaine gave the song soul, which is good because “Phil Collins has a lot of soul for a white guy.” I’d also like to point out that Cee-Lo’s shirt says “Crime Scene” tonight. Let’s not start getting into stereotypes now, buddy. Blake keeps it simple: this was a turning point for Jermaine’s career.
----------------------------------

Team Xtina Contestant: Chris Mann
Song: “Viva La Vida,” by Coldplay

I know Chris is labeled as the opera guy, but I’m very interested to see how he does with a current song. He’s still dressed like he is about to duet with Andrea Bocelli, but he is not performing like a classically trained singer. I meant that in a good way – I really like what I’m hearing.

Coaches Say: Adam is a huge fan of the song but wanted to be moved more because of Chris’ opera background. Xtina suddenly has a fan in her hands, and I’m not sure why. Is it hot in there, or does she just want to remind us that she herself is hot? Xtina gives Chris a lot of credit for taking on something out of his comfort zone and working the stage. I hope she keeps him.
--------------------------------

Out of the two teams, I’m hoping that Xtina eliminates Lindsey and Blake eliminates RaeLynn (just RaeLynn). I have no control over this, but that’s how I feel right now. Xtina is up first, and she makes sure her team knows how much she loves them and rambles on for a while. She then chooses to send Jesse home. WHAT?!?! This was “the dude to beat.” Wow. We’re running out of time now and Blake has to work quickly. He was hoping someone would not do a good job tonight to make his job easy, but that didn’t happen. He eliminates Jordis based on the fact that he’s had to save her already. Ugh.

Tomorrow night one more from each team will be sent home, and here’s hoping I get my way then.

No comments:

Post a Comment