So there are many of you who loyally watch these shows and, like me, make continual comments to the television whether anyone else is in the room or not. Alternately, there are many of you who do not have the time to keep up with reality TV – there are too many shows, your tivos runneth over, you have kids and can’t remember what it’s like to watch anything beyond Dora the Explorer (you know who you are) – but you also want to be “in the know.” That’s fine. Let me help you understand.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Voice Quarterfinals: Team Adam and Team Cee-Lo


Tonight the remaining two teams compete for a spot in the semifinals. Two of the four contestants from each team will make it through to next week. Adam and Cee-Lo will each have to eliminate one contestant at the end of tonight’s performances, and the others will hope to win America’s votes. Before we can start though, we must pause inappropriately for a second due to Cee-Lo’s gas. Perhaps he is nervous for his contestants? A few more fart jokes and then we are on our way…



Team Cee-Lo: Jamar Rogers
Song: “It’s My Life,” by Bon Jovi

Jamar has a whole host of reasons to be connected to this song, and when we watch the rehearsal package, I worry that he’s just going to lose it on stage tonight. Quite the opposite actually, which is a relief. As much as I feel for the challenges he has been faced with in his life, I know I would have enjoyed this performance even without the back story, and that makes me want to root for him even more.

Coaches Say: Adam reveals that Jamar was the very first blind audition, and though Adam feels that he may have missed out because Cee-Lo got to Jamar first, Jamar is exactly where he needs to be. Blake thinks the song was paired with the right person. Xtina says he sang like it was his life on the line. A little insensitive given his medical issues? If so, Jamar handles it well. Cee-Lo calls him J Bird and tells him to “listen to the love.” The audience goes nuts. Cee-Lo also says he would proudly stand beside Jamar during his fight and die with him. Xtina doesn’t chime back in…
-------------------------------------

Team Adam: Katrina Parker
Song: “Jar of Hearts,” by Christina Perry

I’m a huge fan of this song, and I am so excited to hear her rendition. Katrina sings the song in the middle of a heart laced with fog, but I can ignore that because she is just fantastic. I love an artist who is able to stand at a mic stand, sing, and command everyone’s attention. It's like I can't breathe because I am captivated. I will be downloading this.

Coaches Say: Blake thinks the performance is a break-out performance and asks Adam “what are you going to do now?” Xtina notes that she’s never sang that song before (thanks for that), but she thinks it would be a difficult song to tackle. I’m not actually sure I hear a compliment here. She then goes on to say that regardless of comparisons, Katrina Parker should own being Katrina Parker. So…Xtina likes the performance? Adam is so proud of her and even says Katrina was not one of the favorites on his team when this began. He calls the performance incredible and flawless.
------------------------------

Cee-Lo performs “Dancin’ in the Streets” with Team Cee-Lo. I’m already giggling because the American Idol finalists sang this as the group number last week. Do we think Cee-Lo already had this song in mind, or do we think he believed he could just do it better? Regardless, it is better. If I could change one thing, I would of course burn Cee-Lo’s wig, but otherwise I am very entertained by the performance.
------------------------------

Team Adam: Mathai (just Mathai)
Song: “I’m Like a Bird,” by Nelly Fertado

The rehearsal package is not giving me the feeling I’m going to enjoy this. However, I’m pleasantly surprised by Mathai’s personality and enthusiasm. The vocals are not awesome, but she’s still different enough to make “pitchy” seem less troublesome…if that makes sense. I like this Mathai performance better than last week’s performance, but given how I feel about the other members of Team Adam, I’m unfortunately not rooting for this kid.

Coaches Say: Blake could have done without all of the background acrobatics, but he likes the performance. Last week Mathai was Xtina’s favorite on Adam’s team, but she says Katrina has taken that spot now (I guess Xtina isn’t interested in hearing Tony or Pip before making that decision). Xtina feels the song had been forced upon her, and it was an unfair thing to do. Adam isn’t close enough to reach over and smack her, but if their chairs were closer, I have to wonder…. But Adam thinks she did great, and her energy is infectious.
-----------------------------------

Team Cee-Lo: James Masone
Song: “Just The Way You Are,” by Billy Joel

Cee-Lo wants James to be a lady killer, and he thinks this is the song that will do it. James sings from a stairwell to a girl we can’t really see in a doorway, but he forgets about her after a few seconds and descends to the stage. After that, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Oh. Sorry. Unfortunately for James, I love Billy Joel, but this is just boring me beyond belief. He remembers the girl from the doorway at the end, and we can finally move on to the coaches’ thoughts.

Coaches Say: Blake isn’t sure how he feels about that performance, and Xtina wanted something different. Adam loves it, and Cee-Lo thinks that James’ voice is natural and sweet. He enjoyed the performance.
---------------------------------

Cee-Lo takes the stage again, but this time with Goodie Mob, singing “Fight to Win.” I think they are supposed to be Greek Gods of some sort, and their teeth are especially white and glowy this evening. That’s not distracting at all. I’m kind of indifferent to the song – let’s get back to the quarterfinals.
----------------------------------

Team Adam: Tony Lucca
Song: “Hit Me Baby One More Time,” by Britney Spears

Yesssssssss. For a second I thought maybe he was taking on an Xtina song, but this might be even better. Tony plays the guitar in front of some questionable back up dancers (far more scary than the Catholic school girls from Britney’s video). He’s in love with his performance, and some might think that is off-putting, but I am in love with him, so I don’t care. I’m a huge fan of the performance, and I can’t wait to hear what the coaches have to say about this.

Coaches Say: Xtina wants to get Britney and Justin out on stage to do a real Mickey Mouse Club reunion. While you’re at it, please locate the members of The Party – I miss them. Xtina enjoyed the performance (thank you for finally getting to a critique), and she is glad he put a different twist on the song. Blake is pissed off because that was a really smart move. Adam loves Tony, and he is so proud of him. Me too!
--------------------------------

Team Cee-Lo: Cheesa (just Cheesa)
Song: “I Have Nothing,” by Whitney Houston

I worry about this. There have been a considerable amount of Whitney “tributes” since her recent passing, and I think you get to a point where enough is enough. Parts of her performance are too low, but she really hits and holds some amazing notes. No one is going to be able to sing Whitney better than Whitney, but Cheesa does a good job here. A big voice is needed for this song, and I’m not sure that anyone else remaining in the competition could have tackled this one. Nope - not even Erin.

Coaches Say: Xtina and Cee-Lo give her a standing ovation. Xtina admires Cheesa’s courage and loved every second of the song. Cee-Lo thinks Cheesa looks exceptionally beautiful tonight. He also has a history with Whitney Houston (paging Randy Jackson), and he is ready to invest in grown women vocalists. I’m going to leave that one alone.
--------------------------------------

Team Adam: Pip (just Pip)
Song: “Somewhere Only We Know,” by Keane

Pip plays a revolving piano…..kind of like how Kris Allen played a revolving piano on American Idol Thursday night. Hmph. When he hops off of the bench to approach the audience I realize he is not wearing a bow tie tonight, and that makes me a little sad. He loses me on the falsetto and has a hard time getting back on track after that, but this is still a decent performance.

Coaches Say: Blake asks Pip “Where the hell is the bow tie, man? That’s like me without alcohol!” Seems Blake feels stronger about this than I do. Adam likes the no bow tie, but there were a couple of moments near the end that weren’t perfect. He’s still proud of Pip though.
--------------------------------

Adam now performs with Team Adam, singing “Instant Karma.” They have their own little band going with Tony on guitar, Pip on the keyboard, and Adam on the drums. During the solos Katrina stands out for me the most. I notice that the bow tie has returned to Pip’s ensemble, but I also notice that Adam doesn’t sing at all….that’s okay, he’s doing a really good job looking hot while playing the drums.
-------------------------------

Team Cee-Lo: Juliet Sims
Song: “Cryin,” by Aerosmith

Juliet has raided Cee-Lo’s closet and is wearing black wings on her back. For a second I’m terrified because I think she is the angel of death, and then she gets to the chorus, the lights come on, and I’m relieved to discover she is still human. As she closes the song, white feathers fall from the ceiling as if Edward Cullen just attacked a room full of pillows. All clothing and props aside though, she is ridiculously talented, and I hope she stays around.

Coaches Say: Blake loves the performance because it reminds him of duck season (wabbit season!). I hope Juliet is not a PETA member. Xtina thinks Juliet is fabulous because she goes in and never looks back. Cee-Lo is still trying to catch feathers, but he also thinks she did an amazing job.
---------------------------------

Now it’s up to Adam and Cee-Lo to let go of one person from each of their teams. For me, I’m hoping Adam lets go of Mathai and Cee-Lo lets go of James. Cee-Lo has to choose first, and he reads something heartfelt that he typed into his phone. He then eliminates James. It’s Adam’s turn, and he talks about how he had a different idea going into tonight, but the performances changed his mind, etc. He eliminates Pip, which I’m generally okay with. My nerves couldn’t have handled seeing Katrina or Tony leaving tonight.

Tomorrow one more from each team will be eliminated after America's vote. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that Tony, Katrina, Juliet and Jamar make it through, but we'll see what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment